Sega Sammy's Doing Good

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Sega Sammy's Doing Good

Post by Segaholic2 »

Looks like the newly formed Sega Sammy Holdings is doing okay so far. No huge losses for 3rd quarter last year. We'll have to see if they can start growing their sales in the upcoming year.
<A HREF=http://www.the-magicbox.com>The Magic Box</A> wrote:Sega Sammy Holdings reported a net profit of 46.22 billion yen (US$444.46 million) for the 3rd quarter ending December 31, 2004, the company also reported a sales of 399.44 billion yen (US$3.84 billion). Sammy's pachinko machine division posted a net profile of 48 billion yen, more than double the previous year's 18.7 billion yen, thanks to strong sales of the Hokuto no Ken pachinko machines and Kaiji pachislot machines; Sega's game division posted a 3.45 billion yen profit, fell by 50% from last year, but sales increased by 1.4% to 146.51 billion yen.
Posted at <A HREF="http://www.the-magicbox.com/game2005020 ... 3.shtml</A>

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

A wonder what name recognition will do to a company.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

What? Both Sammy and Sega are huge names in Japan.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Light Speed wrote:What? Both Sammy and Sega are huge names in Japan.
Sammy did a good bargain, outside of Japan who knew Sammy before the fusion thing?.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Nova wrote: Sammy did a good bargain, outside of Japan who knew Sammy before the fusion thing?.
Anyone who has played the Guilty Gear series, which is a fair amount of people considering how most would buy a game for the fact that it had anime in it alone. How else do you think so many japanese RPG's have become incredibly popular in recent years?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Dark Crow wrote:
Nova wrote: Sammy did a good bargain, outside of Japan who knew Sammy before the fusion thing?.
Anyone who has played the Guilty Gear series, which is a fair amount of people considering how most would buy a game for the fact that it had anime in it alone. How else do you think so many japanese RPG's have become incredibly popular in recent years?
Plus, transvestite little boys!
Who wouldn't want a game with transvestite little boys?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I know I do!

...no, seriously, I do. Well, with grown up boys. But still.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

PEDO!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

If she's old enough to bleed, she's old enough to breed.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Has anyone played GG Isuka? What's the word on that?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Delphine wrote:If she's old enough to bleed, she's old enough to breed.
If there's fluff on the muff she's old enough.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

If she's got a large socket, then stuff in your rocket.

Or something like that.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Has anyone played GG Isuka? What's the word on that?
I heard it was good, but nothing more. The gameplay is completely hollow, and the 4 player melee battles are very hectic.

What is so great about this series apart from the anime? As a fighting game, Virtua Fighter 4 canes it to the ground (and all other fighting games for that matter).
Last edited by Dark Crow on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Be that as it may, by discounting every fighting game just because VF4 is the best (which it is), you're utterly missing the point. There are other great fighting games that do great things that VF doesn't. Not to mention the fact that VF requires such a huge time commitment to enjoy properly, it's just not that accessible.

Moreover, it's absurd to compare a 2D fighting game with a 3D one in the first place.

Also, is there anyone who has actually played Isuka that can give me an opinion?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

The closest I've ever gotten to playing a Guilty Gear game was playing OutRun2 in an arcade right next to some GG game. I don't even know which one it was.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Zeta wrote:If she's got a large socket, then stuff in your rocket.

Or something like that.
If there's grass on the field, play ball.

If not, flip it over and play in the mud.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well that second line is knew to me. I think I'd rather of not know it though.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Be that as it may, by discounting every fighting game just because VF4 is the best (which it is), you're utterly missing the point. There are other great fighting games that do great things that VF doesn't. Not to mention the fact that VF requires such a huge time commitment to enjoy properly, it's just not that accessible.

Moreover, it's absurd to compare a 2D fighting game with a 3D one in the first place.
I'm not undermining fighting games on the whole at all. Actually, there are many different fighting games that I enjoy, some that have similar gameplay (such as the superb Soul Edge series or every Tekken game before 4), and some that are wildly different (Virtual On for example, which is crossed with a mech-style game). But the main reason as to why I value VF better than these outer games is that it requires true skill to be any good at it, and simply can't be beaten by button mashing alone, and blocking\running away the rest of the time. If you tried that strategy on Inferno, you would have a good chance of winning, but against Dural you would most probably be wasted. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I believe this "getting out what you put into it" style of gameplay to be far more satifying and enjoyable than the accessible gameplay of other games.

And as for the 2D/3D argument, considering the fact that virtually all 3D fighters are played from a side-on perspective, I think that some form of comparisons can be drawn, despite the fact that most 2D fighters are more faster and based around getting verticle combos, and that most 3D fighters have a sidesteping manoeuvre (which really isn't used all that often anyway, so it's pretty inconsequential).
Last edited by Dark Crow on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Hold the phone, the results are in. It turns out that Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram is actually the best fighting game ever.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I really wish I had some Saturn dual joysticks with the DC adapter so that I could play that game properly.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I have the Total Control 3, but it never really worked properly. It's a shame that most of the advanced moves just can't be done with the standard DC controller, but all the same it is still the best fighter out there even with deficient controls.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I believe this "getting out what you put into it" style of gameplay to be far more satifying and enjoyable than the accessible gameplay of other games.
Indeed, but I'm saying there are two sides to that coin. Though I do personally consider VF4 to be the best fighting game around (hands down), I spent way more time with Soul Calibur 2, simply because it was more immediately rewarding and I didn't have the time or will to commit to something like VF4. (The last VF game I mastered was VF2.)
(which really isn't used all that often anyway, so it's pretty inconsequential).
That depeneds on the game you're playing, and I'd say that it's a crucial strategy in all the good 3D fighting games. Then there's the jumping issue... in 2D fighting games, jumping and aerial combos are a huge part of the strategy, while they're almost non-existant in 3D ones. The focus of 2D and 3D fighting games is really totally different, as is the way you play them. The only similarity is the theme of one-on-one combat.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

The focus of 2D and 3D fighting games is really totally different, as is the way you play them.
VOOT, Kikaioh and Power Stone all break those conventions and I think it makes them better games because of it.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Ahh, Power Stone, how I love thee.

Why hasn't Capcom made a Power Stone 3 yet?? Damn you, Capcom! You spit out endless sequels to Mega Man and every other series you have, yet you have ignored Power Stone since the death of the Dreamcast!

I don't even care if it's not a real sequel. Give me Power Stone 1 & 2 in a bundle with updated graphics on the GameCube or Xbox and I'm happy for the next 5 years.

On a somewhat relevant note, there's a new TMNT game called Mutant Melee that looks similar to Power Stone (and has been compared to it in most previews I've seen). Here's hoping it doesn't suck.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I thought Kikaioh was a one-on-one fighting game? I never played it, is it good?

Power Stone and Virtual-On aren't really fighting games in the traditional sense. They're more like games where you just happen to be fighting...