Sega Sammy's Doing Good

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Power Stone was mostly a lot of item throwing and running after the Power Stones. I wouldn't go so far to classify it as a fighter, even though the theme is there. Power Stone 2 was even shallower in terms of actual combat than the original (but with bigger arenas and tons more items), and was pretty much a party game (a friggin' awesome one).

VOOT may meet all the technical qualifications of a 3d fighter (ie one on one combat), but it's definitely not a traditional-type 3D fighter.

I won't say anything about Kikaioh since I have no idea what that it. PS and VOOT are both great games, but you can't really compare with or say they're better than Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur. They're just totally different styles of games.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Kikaioh was called Tech Romancer in the US. It's sort of a parody 3D fighting game with mechs. From the minute bit I did play, it seems alot like Bushido Blade.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I thought Kikaioh was a one-on-one fighting game? I never played it, is it good?
Yeah it's pretty awesome. The story mode is pretty cool because they are all ripped directly from the anime of the corresponding mech you pick. For each character there is generally a "good" and "bad" ending that you achieve by doing different things at pivotal battles, though for Kikaioh himself there is like five different paths with four or so endings.

The fighting itself is a standard Capcom affair with your 3-level power bar for special attacks. The game is almost exclusively played in the XY plane but the game does allow some movement in the Z-axis for strafing attacks and doing a couple different moves. It's pretty solid and all the moves have some real punch to them so you feel like you are really kicking some ass.

The unlockables are pretty nifty as well. You have your basics like character art, mech and character profiles, music shop, an anime "intro" and of course extra characters. All the extras are really just repaints with maybe one or two extra moves with the exception being Blodia and Jin who make the game worth any price.

Re: Sega Sammy's Doing Good

Post by Guest »

Segaholic2 wrote:Looks like the newly formed Sega Sammy Holdings is doing okay so far. No huge losses for 3rd quarter last year. We'll have to see if they can start growing their sales in the upcoming year.
<A HREF=http://www.the-magicbox.com>The Magic Box</A> wrote:Sega Sammy Holdings reported a net profit of 46.22 billion yen (US$444.46 million) for the 3rd quarter ending December 31, 2004, the company also reported a sales of 399.44 billion yen (US$3.84 billion). Sammy's pachinko machine division posted a net profile of 48 billion yen, more than double the previous year's 18.7 billion yen, thanks to strong sales of the Hokuto no Ken pachinko machines and Kaiji pachislot machines; Sega's game division posted a 3.45 billion yen profit, fell by 50% from last year, but sales increased by 1.4% to 146.51 billion yen.
Posted at <A
HREF="http://www.the-magicbox.com/game2005020 ... 3.shtml</A>
Good. Now make Shenmue III, bitches.

Double-S-
News Guy

Re: Sega Sammy's Doing Good

Post by Double-S- »

Anonymous wrote:Good. Now make Shenmue III, bitches.
SNORE.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Banned.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Who?

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

You Double-S-, because nobody mocks Shenmue and gets away with it. Nobody.

And they are making another Shenmue game, it's just called Shenmue Online. However, if it's an actual sequel to Ryo's big adventures (storyline wise) in the first two games is yet to be seen, but since it's online I doubt it.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Thanks for the 4 month old info on Shenmue Online.

You think I'm insulting Shenmue? Why would I do that when I've spend a few hundred dollars on a personal <A HREF="http://ghzforum.nathantsui.com/viewtopi ... lection</A> of my favorite game series ever?

I said SNORE because I've heard around 80860 people bitch about the lack of Shenmue 3. It makes perfect sense business-wise for Sega to NOT continue Shenmue since they've lost how much money on the series already?

If Shenmue 3 is announced I'll jump up and run around screaming (maybe naked), but in the meantime I'm not going to whine like a 10 year old girl.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

But.... but... I really want Shenmue III...

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Dark Crow wrote:You Double-S-, because nobody mocks Shenmue and gets away with it. Nobody.
On that note, I'm still looking for those fucking sailors.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Baba O'Reily wrote:On that note, I'm still looking for those fucking sailors.
I quickly glanced at that and thought you said "On that note, I'm still fucking those sailors".

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

DarkPrime wrote:
Baba O'Reily wrote:On that note, I'm still looking for those fucking sailors.
I quickly glanced at that and thought you said "On that note, I'm still fucking those sailors".
That's what he meant to say.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Shenmue might do better as a movie or an anime or something. That plot is just too fucking long to be turned into a game. I wouldn't want "Shenmue 16" for instance . . .

And really it's all just one game. So we're not even talking about SEQUELS.

Plus, they might do what Oddworld did. Oddworld was originally supposed to be a 5-part saga with characters that all related to eachother that ended coherently. The greedy bastard that the owner has become however has ditched that plot and decided to go with whatever the fuck pops into his head.

I can see it now - imagine Shenmue III with no Ryu, no Lan Di. Nothing related to the past two games. Just a random martial arts story.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Double-S- wrote:Thanks for the 4 month old info on Shenmue Online.

You think I'm insulting Shenmue? Why would I do that when I've spend a few hundred dollars on a personal <A HREF="http://ghzforum.nathantsui.com/viewtopi ... lection</A> of my favorite game series ever?

I said SNORE because I've heard around 80860 people bitch about the lack of Shenmue 3. It makes perfect sense business-wise for Sega to NOT continue Shenmue since they've lost how much money on the series already?
Sorry for the misunderstanding Double-S-, I honestly thought you were snoring to the Shenmue series, not on the lack of news on Shenmue III. And the dated Shenmue Online info was directed for the guest who posted.

Incidently, that has got to be the largest amount of Shenmue merchandise I've ever seen in one photo. That's a few hundred dollars well spent.
Zeta wrote:I can see it now - imagine Shenmue III with no Ryu, no Lan Di. Nothing related to the past two games. Just a random martial arts story.
I sure hope not, but considering the state of Sega at the moment, I wouldn't be too surprised if they had to sellout on their greatest licences for the sake of easy profits. I just hope that if there is ever a Shenmue anime/movie/game sequel, that at least the basic plot of the games is left intact (or in the sequels case, follow on from II).

Post by Guest »

Zeta wrote:I can see it now - imagine Shenmue III with no Ryu, no Lan Di. Nothing related to the past two games. Just a random martial arts story.
<_<

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Zeta wrote:Plus, they might do what Oddworld did. Oddworld was originally supposed to be a 5-part saga with characters that all related to eachother that ended coherently. The greedy bastard that the owner has become however has ditched that plot and decided to go with whatever the fuck pops into his head.
No, it got published by EA.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Squeek's Odyssey, the third chapter in the Oddworld saga that was scrapped because they didn't want to do a five-part plot, was published by EA?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Yep. Indeed it was. I think EA also got Time Killers.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

SIXTEEN CHAPTERS IS NOT TOO LONG, IT'S NOT LONG ENOUGH. IT CAN NEVER BE LONG ENOUGH.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Shenmue was pretty boring.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

chriscaffee wrote:Shenmue was pretty boring.
Translation: "Please stomp on my face while wearing cleats and assrape me without lube."

Post by Guest »

I wasted fifteen hours of my life buying a boat ticket. Seriously.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Yep. Indeed it was. I think EA also got Time Killers.
I think you mean Time Splitters (3).
Delphine wrote:
chriscaffee wrote:Shenmue was pretty boring.
Translation: "Please stomp on my face while wearing cleats and assrape me without lube."
Seeing as Chris pops a boner for constant virtual guns and explosions (as long as they're real life accurate), I thought you'd know well enough to just ignore that opinion.
Zeta wrote:Shenmue might do better as a movie or an anime or something. That plot is just too fucking long to be turned into a game. I wouldn't want "Shenmue 16" for instance . . .
Green Gibbon! wrote:SIXTEEN CHAPTERS IS NOT TOO LONG, IT'S NOT LONG ENOUGH. IT CAN NEVER BE LONG ENOUGH.
Currently Shenmue is up to chapter six, with Shenmue being Chapter 1, and Shenmue 2 being Chapters 3 - 6 (or 3-5, depending on some people's interpretations). So there's 10 or so left to go through in one game (Yu Suzuki has said he plans for Shenmue to span 3 installments).

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Shenmue was pretty boring.
The punishment for such sacrilege as you have demonstrated is death by suffocation... on MY BALLS.