PSII remake delayed · Mega Drive original to be included

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Math 105 is a requirement for all majors. Art majors only need one more math beyond that, and everyone goes for business math (can't remember the course number). It's actually a whole hell of alot easier because it's all practical application problems, no algebra or theory or any of that nonsense.
Anyway, they should have something like that at ULL, and the fact that they don't is silly.
There are many, many silly things about ULL. It's really a pretend college (or so I like to think).

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Anyway, they should have something like that at ULL, and the fact that they don't is silly.
My understanding is that most colleges require algebra for all majors and then, as Gibbon said, something else which is generally Calc, but can be Trig depending on circumstances.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Weird. There's nothing mandatory like that up here, at least, not at the University of Victoria. To major in History, you just need history courses and a certain number of electives from any other departments. The only specific out-of-department requirement is first year English. Oh, and completing a course in a second language, but that's only if you want to get an honours degree instead of a major.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

You big pussy and your pussy school. At ULL, not only is college algebra a requirement for all majors, but there are also requisite courses in English and a handfull of sciences. All majors must take a biology and a 1-2 course in a science of their choice (I went for geology). In fact, the entire first year is almost nothing but pre-requisites.

Incidentally, this semester they've begun offering a game design course. Just my luck.

Post by Guest »

If you wouldn't have gotten a D the fifth time...

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Green Gibbon! wrote:There are many, many silly things about ULL. It's really a pretend college (or so I like to think).
You graduated sometime just before Christmas, right? Heh, you graduated along with a cousin of mine.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Green Gibbon! wrote:You big pussy and your pussy school. At ULL, not only is college algebra a requirement for all majors, but there are also requisite courses in English and a handfull of sciences. All majors must take a biology and a 1-2 course in a science of their choice (I went for geology). In fact, the entire first year is almost nothing but pre-requisites.

Incidentally, this semester they've begun offering a game design course. Just my luck.
Weird! The closest thing we have to a math requirement here is that you can't get IN to University without taking Math 12, which is itself an elective when you are in high school. Maybe it's structured differently down there, but here Math 12 IS algebra. But it's still a step down in difficulty from what they are teaching here in Math 101.

My first year was mostly pre-reqs, too, but they're not nearly so specific. When you're majoring in a humanity like History, you're required to take a certain number of first or second year level courses in the sciences and a certain number in the arts, but you do always get to choose from a selection. I took first year computer science and economics, and that absolved me from any kind of math or sciences or anything like that.

Even the one truly required course, the first year English course in University-level writing, can be skipped by taking an English evaluation exam beforehand and scoring high enough.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, here we just got gen-eds. Two science, two humanities, two social behaviorl science, writing 2010, and maybe some others. Then you gotta do your major stuff. Oh and you may need math too. I already had most of my generals done so I didn't pay too much attention.

So what is College Algebra? Is it just basically Intermediate Algebra, like in highschool?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It's like high school Algebra triplified. I think I just made up that word. It's a pretty keen word.

CE

Post by CE »

Spazz wrote:\I was about as shocked as you when I heard it, but shit happens. I'm pretty dissapointed that all that hard <i>quality, good</i> work was lost.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You just said that game code is high quality. You are so funny.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

What's so funny?

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Harhar, I meant that they lost work that's better than what they make today.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I don't get it.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

College algebra is high school algebra. It may have a heavy algebra 2 and geometry component and of course it's only a semester long as opposed to the full year you get in MS/HS, but it's not like linear algebra or trig or anything like that.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

It probably has some fairly simple trig stuff in it. Like the SOH-CAH-TOA crap.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

That's the only bit about Maths I ever learned and I got a C on the Higher Tier. I was moderately surprised.

chriscaffeedidn'tlogin

Post by chriscaffeedidn'tlogin »

Well I think you have to learn some trig in geometry and algebra 2 anyway. Then again my algebra/2 and geometry classes were "honors" so that could have had something to do with it.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

NT, just disable the Guest function, no one but chris even uses it.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I mean, I could have sworn we did some really simple derivatives in Algebra 2.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

A Phantasy Star 2 thread turns into an algebric discussion-
ONLY IN GHZ.