Naka interview: 2D/3D game design, gaming hardware

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Naka’s New Zealand Natter

New Zealand netzine Gameplanet recently interviewed Yuji Naka during his visit to Australia in December. The brief interview doesn’t offer any tangible details on Sonic Team’s future titles, but instead explores Naka’s thoughts on 2D and 3D game design, the character of Sonic and the hardware features of current and future consoles:

Sonic, although going through some subtle changes, has basically endured largely unchanged. Do you think the character has maintained the same level of appeal throughout the years and why?
I will be happy if Sonic is loved by users for a long time like Disney's Mickey Mouse is. As far as I'm concerned, I believe the reason why Sonic is still highly popular is greatly due to his attitude and actions.

You have taken fans through many worlds and challenges and it must be difficult for you to come with new ones for each release. Is there one inspiration or influence for these worlds?
Basically, because I am developing titles in big groups, I create something new as I check with team members.

Sonic still seems more at home in 2D worlds. What have been the main challenges in working with 3D and what do you see as strengths and weaknesses of 2D versus 3D for this type of game?
Not limited to Sonic but games as a whole, I feel 2D ones are more comprehensible and attractive. This is because, even though they say '3D' games, the screen is actually flat and it is hard to have a clue about distance, which is one weak point of 3D. That said, at the same time, it is possible to achieve more interesting expressions with 3D, so I want to create titles both in 2D and 3D in the future.

Do you think Sonic is still seen as Sega's mascot?
If so, it would be great, but as Sega keeps creating new characters, it can be possible that a new mascot will appear that may replace Sonic. But Sonic will keep on running for Sega forever.

What does Sonic mean to you and what kind of limitations do you put on the way the character can be presented?
He is truly a "good boy" to me. Although there is no specific restriction…, or rather, his actions are impossible to expect even for me, so it is difficult to keep him at bay. Sonic will continue to exist as Sonic, I guess.

Sonic games have long used music in a different way to something like a Super Mario game, which has always used non-vocal, theme-based music. Where do you see the trend of popular music in games leading gaming and do you see Sonic games as an originator or this practice? Does Sonic stand to gain from this trend in the future?
We sometimes employ music with vocals…, and as we also bring various genres in, we would like to continue to offer music that suits each game. I would be happy if our music will lead trends some day.

What are some new things we can expect to see in future Sonic titles?
Well, let me see…, I have no idea yet… Shall I ask Sonic?

Do you see Sonic being involved in more non-platforming games in the future?
Yes, because Sonic has a broad range of fields he excels at, he will take challenge at all sorts of things in the future, I suppose.

Can you outline what games you are currently working on and for which platforms?
As most immediate projects, I can list Astro Boy, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and, moreover, Project Rub and a Sonic title for Nintendo DS. Also we are thinking about a new title for PSP, too. As for the rest, what I am looking forward to is Phantasy Star Universe. Concerning this title, its platform(s) has not been determined yet.

How has your experience with the platforms you have used to date affected your hardware choices for the next generation of consoles and handhelds? What kind of features do you find most exciting for next generation Sonic games?
The fact that we have new hardware means that, for example, the graphic drawing performance progresses or that input device increases, but how to create 'fun' as a game does not change. However, with new console models like Nintendo DS that use exactly totally new input methods, as I can some up with new ideas that seem immeasurable with the past experience, it is very exciting as a developer. I am confident that also next Sonic will run through the world more speedily.

Martin Caie, who goes by the simple moniker of ‘M’, was responsible for the questions.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

This is because, even though they say '3D' games, the screen is actually flat and it is hard to have a clue about distance, which is one weak point of 3D.
Bullshit. And pretty irrelevant to why the 3D Sonic games suck.

Post by Guest »

Why must Yuji Naka mostly sound a bit stupid in interviews. I know some of it may be the translation but things like "Asking Sonic" make me cringe for him.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

That was me by the way :roll:

Post by Guest »

That's not nearly as bad as the McDonalds plugs he does sometimes.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

That was me, by the way.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Stop doing that!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Well considering chris is the only one using the Guest thing you might as well turn it off. Maybe if non-forum posters wanted to comment it'd matter, but none do. Especially since our comments usually stray way far away from the newspost rather quickly.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

BOOBIES (0)(0)

SHAKA-SHAKA-BOOM (0)(0)

SHAKA-SHAKA BOOM (0)(0)

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Why must Yuji Naka mostly sound a bit stupid in interviews.
Probably because he is.

Anyway, I'd be happy with a 2d Sonic game on a console. Then maybe they could spend more time and money on level design, music, and story and less on graphics.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Segaholic2 wrote:Stop doing that!
I say ya ban 'em!

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

lol, cheers. At least mine was by mistake. Promise it won't happen again... hopefully...

Anyway, back to Yuji naka's horrid interview

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Wow. What a thoroughly useless post. The only thing more useless would be a post pointing out said uselessness...
Oh God, what have I done!?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

The only use any of these posts have is to print out and wipe your ass with so you can grin with satisfaction as you drag other people's ideas through shit.

muke

Post by muke »

chriscaffee wrote:
This is because, even though they say '3D' games, the screen is actually flat and it is hard to have a clue about distance, which is one weak point of 3D.
Bullshit. And pretty irrelevant to why the 3D Sonic games suck.
He helped hault production on the only good 3D Sonic, X-Treme, so he could put his crappy 3D Blast out instead, or just to spite the Americans with better ideas. Sonic's only 3D limitation is/was Yuji, 'nuff said.

muke

Post by muke »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Wow. What a thoroughly useless post. The only thing more useless would be a post pointing out said uselessness...
Or one that said "buump"
EDIT:Would've been funnier if I posted this a few days later, sorry

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

muke wrote:He helped hault production on the only good 3D Sonic, X-Treme, so he could put his crappy 3D Blast out instead, or just to spite the Americans with better ideas. Sonic's only 3D limitation is/was Yuji, 'nuff said.
Sonic X-Treme did not look that great. Depth perception was nearly non-existant.

Sonic 3D Blast was Traveller's Tales.
muke wrote:
Baba O'Reily wrote:Wow. What a thoroughly useless post. The only thing more useless would be a post pointing out said uselessness...
Or one that said "buump"
EDIT:Would've been funnier if I posted this a few days later, sorry
No, it wouldn't've.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

muke wrote:He helped hault production on the only good 3D Sonic, X-Treme, so he could put his crappy 3D Blast out instead, or just to spite the Americans with better ideas. Sonic's only 3D limitation is/was Yuji, 'nuff said.
So you've actually played through X-Treme and can testify to its greatness and superiority through personal experience?

Oh, you haven't? Then shut the hell up.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Owned.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Metal Sonic didn't look like the dillweed he did in Heroes.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

muke wrote: He helped hault production on the only good 3D Sonic, X-Treme, so he could put his crappy 3D Blast out instead, or just to spite the Americans with better ideas. Sonic's only 3D limitation is/was Yuji, 'nuff said.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Are those little plastic trucks? If so, brill.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I'd have thought the fact the forklift operator has no facial features (or arms, apparently) would have clued you in, Del, not to mention those beautifully crafted "sheet" mountains.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

So you've actually played through X-Treme and can testify to its greatness and superiority through personal experience?
You gotta admit he was right about Blast being crappy, though.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

j-man wrote:I'd have thought the fact the forklift operator has no facial features (or arms, apparently) would have clued you in, Del, not to mention those beautifully crafted "sheet" mountains.
Well, I didn't look that closely. I was looking at the forum between kicking ass in RE4 and having a snack.