New Naka Interview: Sonic's appearance in SSBM

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

New Naka Interview: Sonic's appearance in SSBM

Post by big_smile »

Yuji Naka recently visited Australia to indulge in his passion for racing car driving and was interviewed by the native version of Edge magazine. Although the article is brief, it lessens some of the enigma surrounding his future, and past, plans.

It seems that Naka-san originally planned for Sonic to appear in Super Smash Brothers Melee, but abandoned the idea due to time constraints. The experience, however, has increased the possibility of Sonic and Mario teaming-up for a future adventure. While highlighting his close relationship with Nintendo, Naka reaffirmed his support for both the Playstation 2 and X-Box, but acknowledged some of the troubles the latter has had in the Japanese markets.

Naka-san also expressed his excitement for the next wave of handheld consoles, but revealed that he has yet to receive a PSP development kit and is partly concerned about the battery life of the system.

Scans of the interview, which feature Naka in his Sonic embezzled Lotus car, were kindly posted by Infernal Monkey at the Planet Game Cube forum. Special thanks to Kulock at the Moogle Carven Message Board and Shadow Hog at the Mobius Forum for highlighting the original Planet Gamecube thread.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Damnit! That would have been shitloads better than Sonic Battle.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Holy shit. All those forum trolls actually were kind of right.

Well, let's see if the third Smash Bros' game will crossover with Sega All-Stars?

Would that be the fucking awesomest thing ever?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Yes.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'd finally have someone else to play besides Kirby.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Same here. Kirby rules Nintendo.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Falco is "my guy". He's a complete cock to everyone but he's so cool. His aerial attacks own Kirby.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

When I want to be cheap, I just use Pikachu. When I want to go hand to hand, I use Bowser. When I want variety - I use Kirby.

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

The April Fools joke that almost wasn't oO

j-man

Post by j-man »

I think Sonic in SSBM would have been lame, really. Having 24 Nintendo characters and Sonic in the corner like a retard would have been slightly awkward. Like Zeta said, something like a Super Smash Bros Sega & Nintendo Allstars D-LUX!!1 would be better.

muke

Post by muke »

How much you want to bet that the "Sonic/Mario combo game" is a karting game? Not that I hate racing [in fact I love racing (not NASCAR)], but the mascot karting thing has become kinda lame.

j-man

Post by j-man »

It'd be better than Double Dash.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Why would Sonic (or any other Sonic character, besides Eggman) need to race in a kart when he can run whoknowshowmany times faster than any kart. (Sonic Drift/SA2:B aside)

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

If they can do Capcom VS. Whoever fighting games, they can do Nintendo VS. Sega fighting games.

Then again, Captain Falcon would be a bit on the fence, wouldn't he?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Kirby is for hosers.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Spazz wrote:Why would Sonic (or any other Sonic character, besides Eggman) need to race in a kart when he can run whoknowshowmany times faster than any kart. (Sonic Drift/SA2:B aside)
Eggman replaced his shoes with cement slow-down shoes.

Again.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

...Is this an Archie plot gone arry?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Worse. An actual game.

Sonic Labyrinth.

Be lucky you can't remember.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Didn't Miyamoto say a long time ago that Sonic was going to appear in the next Mario Kart game?

Grant

Post by Grant »

Baba O'Reily wrote:Kirby is for hosers.
Only for those that like to .. suck!!

Hahahaha. Get it?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I secretly hope that the reason there still hasn't been a sequel to SSBM, the best-selling Gamecube game of all time, is because they are trying to put together a cross-company character roster.

But I wonder... does Sega have enough recognizable icons to match Nintendo's lineup? Outside of the Sonic franchise, who is there? I guess Shinobi, Virtua Fighter, Jet Set Radio, Ristar, Alex Kidd, Phantasy Star and Shenmue all have characters that could sort of work, but it's not like the cast of Crazy Taxi or NFL2K4 would work. I'd buy it if you could play as Seaman.

Or the Blue Hornet! I don't care how it works, just make it happen.
Last edited by Esrever on Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

A cross-company SSMB would be a killer-app of Halo proportions. If Sega signed on board, I'm sure they could get other companies as well-- I mean, Capcom has been whoring out their characters everywhere, with Dante in Shin Megami Tensei and Mega Man in Boktai... Come to think of it, Mega Man and Dante would be awesome in SSMB.

... I think I would cream my jeans to see a screen of Mario vs. Sonic vs.Mega Man vs... um... Ryo Hazuki?

big_smile
Drano Master

Re: New Naka Interview: Sonic's appearance in SSBM

Post by big_smile »

big_smile wrote:It seems that Naka-san originally planned for Sonic to appear in Super Smash Brothers Melee, but abandoned the idea due to time constraints. The experience, however, has increased the possibility of Sonic and Mario teaming-up for a future adventure.
I wonder if this is connected to the Gamecube Sonic title that was announced at 'Nintendo's Gamer Summit 2003' in San Francisco.

^_^

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Mega Man was in Boktai?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Zeta wrote:Well, let's see if the third Smash Bros' game will crossover with Sega All-Stars?

Would that be the fucking awesomest thing ever?
Squirrelknight wrote:A cross-company SSMB would be a killer-app of Halo proportions. If Sega signed on board, I'm sure they could get other companies as well-- I mean, Capcom has been whoring out their characters everywhere, with Dante in Shin Megami Tensei and Mega Man in Boktai... Come to think of it, Mega Man and Dante would be awesome in SSMB.
Heh, let's take this a bit further and have it be a Nintendo vs. SEGA vs. Shonen Jump All-Stars. It would be wild that you would have pirates, ninjas, plumbers, princesses, hedgehogs, monkey men, monsters, galactic heroes, swordspeople from various ages in time, and a whole bunch of other assorted characters in the same game beating the crap out of each other to become the number one champion.

And Dante can guest-star.

Unfortunately, there would seem to be a lack of cowboys in this proposed huge line-up...unless Nintendo revives Tinstar for it.