Sega-Sammy's new logo and structural changes.

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Segata

Sega-Sammy's new logo and structural changes.

Post by Segata »

This is pretty big news, so a moderator may want to move this to the news section, as I can't post it there.

Courtesy of GameStop:
TOKYO--On its official site today, Sammy unveiled the logo of its soon-to-be corporate parent, Sega Sammy Holdings. As reported earlier last month, Sega and Sammy will merge operations in October by becoming subsidiaries of Sega Sammy Holdings. Once merged, Sega and Sammy's combined annual income for the fiscal year 2005 is expected to be at 501 billion yen ($4.4 billion), making it one of the biggest game companies in Japan.

Sega Sammy Holdings will start off with a capital fund of 10 billion yen ($91 million) and 50 employees. Board members in Sega Sammy Holdings will consist of Sammy and Sega chairman Hajime Satomi as the president and chairman, Sega president Hisao Oguchi as vice chairman, and two Sammy directors as executive directors. Two directors from Sega and one more from Sammy will also be given position as non-executive members of the board.

Major changes will also occur inside Sega's boardroom. Four of the company’s board members--everyone except Satomi, Oguchi, and Sammy executive Yoshiharu Suzuki--will step down in October. Other, as-yet-unidentified Sega executives will take over three of the seats, while vice-chairman Hideki Sato’s seat will remain unfilled.

"Unfortunately, Sega has been in the red for nearly 10 years. It would tighten things up if the [board] members that had directing position and representative rights took responsibility [for Sega's downturn]," commented Satomi during Sammy's fiscal announcements last month. "Oguchi is still young, so he should be able to do more things with new board members."

Prior to becoming a subsidiary of Sega Sammy Holdings, Sega will also be merge its seven subsidiaries--Sega Wow, Sega AM2, Hitmaker, Team Sonic, Smilebit, Amusement Vision, and Digitalrex--into a single entity.

"I feel that Sega has high individual capabilities, but it's too separated into different subsidiaries", commented Satomi on the re-merger of Sega’s subsidiaries. "Sega wasn't able to create an overall corporate strategy or [a sense of] uniformity because of that, which is a major reason behind the company's stagnation. Oguchi himself has been feeling the same way. It's about time that we returned back to the old [structure of] Sega."

When the Sega-Sammy deal was announced last month, many media outlets painted it more as a takeover by Sammy than a merger. Under the terms of the deal, Sammy, which already owns nearly 25 percent of Sega, will exchange about 165 billion yen ($1.45 billion) of stock in the new company for Sega's remaining shares. Each share of Sammy will be swapped for one share of Sega Sammy Holdings, while each share of Sega will be swapped for 0.28 of a share. The deal will give current Sammy shareholders control of nearly three-quarters of the new company's voting stock.
I'm not thrilled as I feel like Sammy has too much control over the company, but maybe this is for the best. Combined, Sega-Sammy may now really be able to compete with the big boys. It's sad to see Sonic Team assimilated, but hopefully we'll start seeing more quality titles out of Sega's division. To the best of my knowledge, we'll still be seeing the classic Sega logo and this one on games developed by the Sega branch.

How will this affect what games are covered by the GHZ?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

No.... this sucks.

Old Logo, you may be gone, but you're not forgotten.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

That logo is a piece of shit.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I quite like it except for the image itself, which is simply dull. The only thing I'm really worried about is the name: 'Sega Sammy' sounds like ass.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Sammy...

It sounds like one of those embarrasing company logo mascot characters.

Hedgehog company excepted, of course.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Owen Axel wrote:Sammy...

It sounds like one of those embarrasing company logo mascot characters.

Hedgehog company excepted, of course.
Heh, There is actually a US company called Sammy Toys; they own brands like Mattel. The mascot is this retro looking boy wearing a crown and a striped shirt. Kinda like a character out of an Archie comic. And I mean the Archie comic.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

That is the tooliest thing I have ever seen.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I just don't understand why everyone is making such a big fuss about the logo of a holdings company. The old Sega logo isn't going anywhere.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

As long as theres PSO (or PSU or whatever), a new Sonic now and then (however LAAAAAAME they may be), I'll be happy. Though I have the impression that it'll be harder for Sega to publish those crazy, niche underground titles we've all grown so fond of.

Shake

Post by Shake »

Squirrelknight wrote:As long as theres PSO (or PSU or whatever), a new Sonic now and then (however LAAAAAAME they may be), I'll be happy. Though I have the impression that it'll be harder for Sega to publish those crazy, niche underground titles we've all grown so fond of.
Maybe not. In any merger, don't both sides have to give some? There's still a small chance we could see the "Niche Underground" titles.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I refeuse to call this company Sega Sammy. So in the vein of calling Square Enix--Squenix, this Sega Sammy will now be known as Segammy.

However, I really prefer to just plain Sega, but...

My brother commented that the logo looks like ribbon candy. I say it's better than Konami's current logo but it still sucks.

Anyway, this dev. team intergration will be like in the good old days when Sega was still on top of the world in the West in the 90's. Hopefully Sammy would also fire the current marketing staff and hire people who can actually advertise a Sega game that is not Sonic.
Last edited by Ngangbius on Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Sega hasn't attempted a "niche underground" title since the DC went under. Since they went third-party (which was a good announcement and should've had awesome ramifications), all they've done are revive ancient series that should've remained in the previous decade and cough up a few godawful licensed games.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Would JSRF and Pazer Dragoon Orta be considered niche titles or those don't count because they are sequels?

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I wish that blue ribbon thingy represented SEGA engulfing the green ribbon (Sammy). To bad it couldn't have had a slightly more flashy font though.

(Sammy the Hedgehog, what?)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Ngang, let's just say that those two games don't count, since they arrived right at the end of the DC era. JSRF, in particular, was originally going to be a Dreamcast game anyhow.

Gibs is right. The "innovative" Sega is dead. But it was their painful first year as a 3rd party publisher, not the death of the DC, that did them in. So many of the games they released that year -- Rez, JSRF, everything that wasn't SA2B -- tanked horribly. The new Sega philosophy seems to be "don't make any more of those silly games that no one ever buys," which is a shame for the few that liked them.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Why are we all wanting Sega to have more control? I of course want them to put out good games like in the old days, but they put out a lot of crap in the old days, too. They haven't made a good financial decision since 1993; maybe this will give them competent management.
And as I read it, you can still say "Sega". If I'm reading "merge operations in October by becoming subsidiaries" correctly, it sounds like they'll be sister comapnies with a common parent, Sega-Sammy Holdings. We didn't call it "CSK-Sega" all these years.

Argent Silver

Post by Argent Silver »

Let's face it... Sega has really never been a success at all. Besides the Genesis and the Sonic the hegehog series, just about everything else they've done has sucked (maybe not as far as creativity or gameplay goes, just financially). Sega CD failed, Sega 32X failed, Sega Saturn failed, Sega Dreamcast failed, and they're not doing too great right now. I love the company to death, but it seems sorta like they're cursed.

Biby128

Post by Biby128 »

I like the logo, but it's nowhere as good as the original Sega logo.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Speaking of bad/weird SEGA games, for those who actually played this, I'd like to know what people thought of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.
I thought it was playable, but also plain freaky. I mean, you play as Micheal Jackson, and you have to rescue...Children?

Segata

Post by Segata »

What type of salad dressing does Macaulay Culkin prefer?

Biby128

Post by Biby128 »

Which MJ was it? The big nosed (Back then when he was cool) or the no nesed (Now) one? MJ used to be a pimp (the strait kind)

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Biby128 wrote:Which MJ was it? The big nosed (Back then when he was cool) or the no nesed (Now) one? MJ used to be a pimp (the strait kind)
This one:

Biby128

Post by Biby128 »

OOOOOOhhhhh the no-nose....
Scary

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

That's probably not the real Sonic behind him.

Biby128

Post by Biby128 »

Of course not, Sonic knows better.