Sonic Mega Collection Plus Shorts

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic Mega Collection Plus Shorts

Post by big_smile »

It Really is a Plus
:FUS: GamerFeed Mega Collection Review

Gamerfeed have posted a review of Sonic Mega Collection Plus. Most of the information in the review will be familiar to Newsboard regulars, apart from one important addition – Gamerfeed have confirmed that the game will include a save mode. The addition allows you to “save a game anywhere at anytimeâ€￾, which may be viewed as an improvement over the Sonic Jam save feature that only allowed the starting point of a level to be saved.

Underwater Island
:FJ: Sonic 3 Profile added to Japanese Mega Collection site

The official Sonic Mega Collection Plus website has been updated with a profile for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Fans of the story line will be pleased to know that the profile explicitly confirms that under water sections in each of the game’s zones were formed when Angel Island fell into the sea.

Grant

Re: Sonic Mega Collection Plus Shorts

Post by Grant »

big_smile wrote: Fans of the story line will be pleased to know that the profile explicitly confirms that under water sections in each of the game’s zones were formed when Angel Island fell into the sea.
That's strange, seeing as they were still accessible as Knuckles.

And, if I'm not mistaken, Knuckles story takes place after Sonic & Tails leave and the island is back in the sky, right?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I think they happen simultaneously.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Impossible. During Sonic and Tails's adventures in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Angel Island is clearly submerged (when you go up to get that first red shoe power-up, you can see there's water surrounding the island).

When you play as Knuckles, and you go up to the same power up place, there is only blue skies. Meaning, the Island is back in the sky.

Plus, his socks are a different color! Knuckles with yellow socks = still naive and duped by Eggman. Green socks = after Doomsday Zone.

CE

Post by CE »

I never noticed that.

Can you also explain why the EggBot has the amazing strategy of "Use all of Eggman's weapons in the exact same spot and the exact same way that failed before?"

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Grant has a point. During the final boss fight for Knuckles, Angel Island is clearly floating in the sky.

But then how did Angel Island get firebombed twice, and more importantly heal in between? And the Flying Battery blew up twice as well.

Either way, even if Knux' story was after Sonic & Tails', it's possible that all the water didn't "leak" out by the time Knuckles got to the stage.

Grant

Post by Grant »

chriscaffee wrote:But then how did Angel Island get firebombed twice, and more importantly heal in between? And the Flying Battery blew up twice as well.
CE wrote:Can you also explain why the EggBot has the amazing strategy of "Use all of Eggman's weapons in the exact same spot and the exact same way that failed before?"
Yeah, they're just dumb coincidences that happened in the story because the game needed them to happen.

Same reason Eggman just happened to have a "spare" Egg Carrier in Sonic Adventure, I guess.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Can you also explain why the EggBot has the amazing strategy of "Use all of Eggman's weapons in the exact same spot and the exact same way that failed before?"
It's a shitty robot. None of Eggman's creations have been well-equiped in the mental department.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I think they happen simultaneously.
You're an idiot. The lack of the Death Egg in the backgrounds during Knuckles' game pretty much proves that they're sequential.

And remember how in the good ending of Sonic & Knuckles as Sonic you see an Egg Robo arising from the scrap pile? Explain THAT.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Um... um... SHUTUP! My word is LAW.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Not to mention that it makes no sense character-wise.

An robot looking like Eggman would build DISTRUST between Knuckles and Eggman. It wouldn't help Eggman dupe the Echidna, quite the opposite.

Now, I could picture them happening simultaneously only if EggRobo were instead - Metal Sonic. It would explain, amongst other things, why Knuckles has it in for Sonic. Why he keeps on activating these traps and fighting against the spiny blue foe - he's being hounded by a robot who looks like Sonic.

Alas, that is not the case.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Um... um... SHUTUP! My word is LAW.
You're just trying to hopelessly assert authority to make up for that whole "banishing" thing several hundred years ago, aren't you?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Dude, I will fucking slip piranhas into your pocket then have Popcorn's mom do a lap dance in front of you so you get an erection and dance like Elvis trying to keep the piranhas away from your winky. You know I'll do it.

Grant

Post by Grant »

That was an interesting mental picture.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Using my technique of creating complex explanations to rationalize mundane inconsistencies, I proclaim that Angel Island collected water while it was in the ocean and carried it back up with it. HUAH!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Amazing Grant wrote:
chriscaffee wrote:But then how did Angel Island get firebombed twice, and more importantly heal in between? And the Flying Battery blew up twice as well.
CE wrote:Can you also explain why the EggBot has the amazing strategy of "Use all of Eggman's weapons in the exact same spot and the exact same way that failed before?"
Yeah, they're just dumb coincidences that happened in the story because the game needed them to happen.
To be fair, the same part of Angel Island was torched each time, so we didn't get to see if it healed.

We also didn't get to see if Flying Battery was completely destroyed in Sonic's game either.

----

So have any US GHZ members bought SMC+? (It was released in America on Nov 2).

I'd love to hear some first hand impressions.

Apparently, the 'making of' movie is merely a collection of story boards and pre-release footage from the Heroes intro and Team Dark opening movie. The beta version of the Heroes theme, which has no lyrics, has also been included.

So far, the only highlight appears to be the save mode.

^_^

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I heard from IGN that the save feature is only in the X-BOX version. Of course, this IS IGN we're talking about here...

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

To be fair, the same part of Angel Island was torched each time, so we didn't get to see if it healed.
At a very minimum the little "locked screen boss area" healed.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

This is new to me.
And remember how in the good ending of Sonic & Knuckles as Sonic you see an Egg Robo arising from the scrap pile? Explain THAT.
So you're suggesting that after Robotnik is beaten and Sonic & Tails leave, the Eggrobo just pops up and starts doing exactly what Robotnik had been doing? That implies that Knuckles' game is nothing more than a tacked-on "excuse" to play again as Knuckles that wasn't really needed in the first place. Instead of participating in the events (in that off-to-the-side way) that Sonic and Tails are in, Knuckles is like in the comic book non-official "sequel," further reducing any worth that his character ever had.

You can hear Sonic's taunt already, "Hey Knuckles, didn't you hear that the GAME'S FUCKIN' OVER?!"

Sure, it logically explains when each game takes place but it totally deemphasizes is any worth, in terms of that "epic adventure" S3&K is supposed to be, that his game has. Sure, you've solved the mystery, but you killed Knuckles in the process.

Which is good. I hate that guy.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Also notice that when Sonic defeats Mecha Sonic he just malfunctions and the Sky Sanctuary falls apart. When Knuckles defeats him he explodes into little pieces.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

I'm pretty sure that the Sonic 3 part of the Sonic3K with Knuckles is just an additional extra. I mean, sure, the sky is different, but the two levels I can think of with water [Hydrocity, Launch Base Zone] are both in Sonic 3. All Sonic & Knuckles levels do not have water at all.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Rlan wrote: All Sonic & Knuckles levels do not have water at all.
What's your point? Angel Island doesn't go back into the sky until after Doomsday Zone, not at the end of Sonic 3.

CE

Post by CE »

Rlan wrote:I'm pretty sure that the Sonic 3 part of the Sonic3K with Knuckles is just an additional extra. I mean, sure, the sky is different, but the two levels I can think of with water [Hydrocity, Launch Base Zone] are both in Sonic 3. All Sonic & Knuckles levels do not have water at all.
I wonder what his point could be...

Grant

Post by Grant »

err.. whoop.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

How could they be an extra? They were clearly designed to accomodate Knuckles to begin with.