View some history Manga, buy some strategy guides

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

View some history Manga, buy some strategy guides

Post by big_smile »

Image Image Image A GHZ Newsboard Exclusive

It certainly seems to be the season for Japanese Sonic books. Last week we had the first instalment of my strategy guide scans, with pages from the Sonic Mega Collection guide, and this week Mr Hari Hari has very kindly created this web gallery of Sonic Manga scans.

Mr Hari Hari is, of course, no stranger to GHZ regulars, as he previously provided Fang’s profile from the Sonic & Tails 2 manual and scans from the Sonic 1 & 2 Japanese strategy guides.

His latest set of scans consists of an entire issue of a Japanese Sonic manga, which appears to be by the same artist who produced the comic in the Sonic 2 strategy guide. Set before the events of Sonic 1, the manga chronicles how Sonic obtained his super speed and established a rivalry with Dr. Eggman.

It’s not clear what involvement Sonic Team had in the creation of the manga, which was originally released in 1992, when the Sonic Team name wasn’t being actively used. It is, however, an official Sega of Japan product. The presence of specially created characters might place this story into a different continuity than that of the games, although it is worth noticing that the newly introduced characters are written out of the story line by the end.

If you have any comments you’d like to send to Mr Hari Hari, post them here and I’ll past them on.

Viewing scans is no substitute for owning the real thing. Thankfully, Yes Asia has finally updated their database allowing you to order virtually all of the Sonic Japanese strategy guides that have been released since 2002.

Sonic Mega Collection (Official Sonic Team guide) $20.45(USA)/£11.14(UK)

This is the official handbook for Sonic fans and contains level maps for all the platform-based games on Mega Collection including Ristar, Comix Zone and The Ooze. (Flicky, Mean Bean and Blue Spheres don't have maps as they are puzzle games. Knuckles’ game in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 also does not have maps but his S&K adventure does.) The maps use an icon system making them very easy to understand for non-Japanese speakers. They list all the powers up in the stages and the number of rings per a level. Profiles are given for all the enemy characters in Sonic 1-3, Sonic & Knuckles, Ristar, the Ooze and Comix Zone. The guide also comes with a limited edition Sonic sticker.

Sonic Advance 2 (Official Sega guide) The official Sonic Team Sonic Advance 2 guide was never released, making this the only one available for the game. Although not a Sonic Team guide, it has been endorsed by the Team and features a limited edition Sonic Team Sonic sticker. The guide features full level maps for all stages, enemy profiles and an additional level-map poster.

Sonic Advance 3 (Official Sonic Team guide) $14.29(USA)/£.7.78(UK)

Sonic Battle (Official Sonic Team guide) $13.64(USA)/£7.43(UK)

Official Sega Sonic Heroes strategy guide $18.82(USA)/£10.36(UK)

Official Sonic Team Sonic Heroes strategy guide $21.82(USA)/£12.01(UK)

Official Sonic Team Sonic Adventure DX strategy guide$19.09(USA)/£10.51(UK)

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, Yes Asia were unable to obtain any of the earlier Sonic guides. On the plus side, however, they are offering free shipping if you order 3 or more of any of the above titles (subject to order location).

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

*looks through the scans of the manga*

Wow! Just...wow!

That manga has Cave-Eggman hilariously abusing Cave-Hedgehogs using magic. A blue Conan Edogawa-looking talking to a fruity-looking God(presumably the Christian God)--in which Conan-Hog dies and is resurrected becoming Sonic the Hedgehog. A naked Eggman appears but thankfully is censored. Eggman then calls upon the forces of Satan for more dark magic fun. And then Sonic seem to have inherited God's power and gives a taste of Eggman's own medicine. Good triumph evil and God showers Sonic and a tan Proto-Amy with petals. The end.

Well...I don't have anything else to say.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but this is the same comic series (I assume this is a special one, being that it takes place 5000 years in the past, according to the first panel) that Alessandro Sanasi had on his <a href="http://www.deco.franken.de/manga/manga.html">Sonic manga page</a>. The character, Little John, can be seen on one of the <a href="http://www.clavis.ne.jp/~sonic/segasoni ... htm">final pages</a> of the comic Mr. Hari Hari scanned, along with the rest of the cast.

The cast is a bit unsettling, the girl hedgehog on the left is named "Amy," and at the center of the image, yes, that's "Charmy Bee" according to the text. You've also got the hedgehog in the flight suit (a possible relation to that story from the SA2 LE?), who is Nikki's father. Nikki is the character with glasses and apparently "becomes" Sonic after receiving powers from God (!), though in this story it's hard to tell if Sonic is like some sort of superhero alter ego or if the change is permanent. Since it predates Sonic CD and Chaotix, it's possible that Amy and Charmy were pulled from this comic.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Now that's fascinating, particularly the characters Amy and Charmy. I guess we don't have a name to apply to this artist/writer?

How was this comic distributed? Although the art and characters look the same as the aforementioned Shogakko Yonensei serial, it doesn't look like this is part of a manga.

Also, about the guides, do you know if the Sonic Advance 3 guide has level maps also? And is there anything particularly interesting in the Sonic Battle guide?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Also, is it just me or does that ape that Eggman is riding in the last page resembles Donkey Kong?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Now that's fascinating, particularly the characters Amy and Charmy. I guess we don't have a name to apply to this artist/writer?

How was this comic distributed? Although the art and characters look the same as the aforementioned Shogakko Yonensei serial, it doesn't look like this is part of a manga.
I'll ask Mr Hari Hari if he knows.
Green Gibbon! wrote: Also, about the guides, do you know if the Sonic Advance 3 guide has level maps also? And is there anything particularly interesting in the Sonic Battle guide?
I haven't received either yet, but the SA3 guide has level maps and character profiles. The Sonic Battle guide lists every move, contains very brief character profiles and ‘a character relation map’ (whatever that is).

Some Japanese fans I spoke to said the Battle guide isn't really worth buying - I only ordered it to qualify for free postage.
G.Silver wrote: You've also got the hedgehog in the flight suit (a possible relation to that story from the SA2 LE?),
What is SA2 LE?

^_^

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Cool, thanks. Level maps are the king of the universe, so I guess I have to buy those.
What is SA2 LE?
Sonic Adventure 2 Limited Edition, he's talking about the mysterious "origin" story printed in the back of the pamphlet. Apparently it was only one of three... did we ever find out precisely what that was meant to be, and what the other two were?

hello.jpg

Post by hello.jpg »

If anyone's interested, I have a photocopy of one of the infamous Seimu mangas that Mr. Sanasi had in his posession. Here is a sample page that I quite like:

I'll post the rest later, but tell me if it's of any use or if you all have it or whatever.

Also, I have high quality scans of that old Sonic 1 Disney comic, if anyone wants THAT... so yeah. Just say.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That's the craziest origin I've ever seen. Eggman was originally a Satanic sorceror in prehistoric times?! Sonic got his powers after being blessed with the power of God and ressurected?

Sonic has parents?!

Anyone want to translate who the other characters are on that cast page? We know Sonic, Tails, Charmy, and Amy - obviously.

And Little Jon appears to be the "Chick Poached" generic little guy character.

But there also seems to be a pair of lizard bullies (Espio and Vector)? Sonic's parents, and a little sister for Sonic, too!

It's like seeing the Japanese version of the Archie cast.

CE

Re: View some history Manga, buy some strategy guides

Post by CE »

big_smile wrote:Image
Sonic Mega Collection (Official Sonic Team guide) $20.45(USA)/£11.14(UK)

This is the official handbook for Sonic fans and contains level maps for all the platform-based games on Mega Collection including Ristar, Comix Zone and The Ooze. (Flicky, Mean Bean and Blue Spheres don't have maps as they are puzzle games. Knuckles’ game in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 also does not have maps but his S&K adventure does.)
How could they not list the maps for all 2 billion stages in Blue Sphere? I'm so disappointed.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'd like to know how the programmed Blue Sphere. There must be some amazing algorithim in that game to make sure that no level is TOTALLY impossible to complete.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Apparently the writer is Kenji Terada (?), and the artist is Sango Morimoto. I assume this applies to the Shogakukan manga also, for which this is apparently a supplement.
Anyone want to translate who the other characters are on that cast page?
The lizard guy is Anton something... Beruuka, Peruuka, something. The little creature behind him is Mad. The fat kid with the cap is Little John. The woman is Brenda or maybe Belinda, it's hard to read. The man is Polly or maybe Paulie. The little girl is Anita.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Thanks, GG. Maybe the name of Sonic's pop is supposed to be a joke and it should be "Porri"? As in "Porcupine"?

OK, we've got SegaSonic, SonicX, and ArchieSonic.

The question is what the fuck universe do Anton, Mad, Little John, Polly, Belinda, and Anita belong to?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Zeta wrote:Thanks, GG. Maybe the name of Sonic's pop is supposed to be a joke and it should be "Porri"? As in "Porcupine"?

OK, we've got SegaSonic, SonicX, and ArchieSonic.

The question is what the fuck universe do Anton, Mad, Little John, Polly, Belinda, and Anita belong to?
An all new universe that doesn't have a name. We could call it GHZ-Sonic, but Terada-Sonic would probably be more appropriate.

^_^

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm going to call it Shroom-Sonic, since I think that's what the author must have been on at the time.

Does anyone think my name will stick? :(

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

big_smile wrote:The Sonic Battle guide lists every move, contains very brief character profiles and ‘a character relation map’ (whatever that is).
Oh yeah, that would be this.

http://home.graffiti.net/icecap/links.jpg

Scan thanks to Vlad.

Anyone want to translate it?

Oh, and Big Smile, if it's not any bother could you ask Mr Hari Hari if he could please scan a larger version of the comic book cast page ( http://www.clavis.ne.jp/~sonic/segasoni ... book12.htm )?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I just realized - Little Jon appears to be the obese, hedgehog version of Chris.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

My question is, is this official/canon/whatever? If so the "ancient Eggman" could explain the prophecy mural in the Hidden Palace Zone.

aso

Post by aso »

It's not canon if it's not recognized by the actual Sonic Team.
(And I say Team, not Naka, given that Naka ignored Sonic CD at one point...)

Did they ever say it was canon?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Well it certainly isn't canon now that Charmy was introduced with Vector and Espio as a "new character" for Sonic Heroes.

Speaking of which, I have to wonder where Espio (and to a significantly lesser extent, Heavy) originated from, seeing as none of the other characters in the Chaotix game were new.

aso

Post by aso »

... Sonic Heroes screws up something else! Crap!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I wonder if Espio WAS created for Chaotix? There are those screenshots floating around that make it look like he was meant to be the game's star at one point.

I wish someone from Sonic Team would give a straight answer about where and when the Chaotix were created. Heck, when they were doing interviews for Heroes, they acted like even Knuckles Chaotix hadn't existed.

There has to be some huge nerdy Sonic fan over in Japan who was following all this stuff when it originally came out. I mean, there's no shortage of American fans who can recite in detail the continuity of every different English take on the Sonic story. :)

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Here is what Mr Hari Hari had to say:
How was the comic distributed?
1:
A Manga (Born Episode), a illustrated story (Middle Ages Episode) and the strategy guide of Sonic 2 are included in this mini book. I did scan only of the Manga.
This mini book was an appendix of the magazine of Shogakukan. -- ?? (???) --

Who was the writer/artist
2:
Writer : Kenji Terada -- ???? (??? ???) --
Artist : Sango Morimoto -- ?? ??? (???? ???) --

Regarding Episode 2 & 3 of the story from SA2 LE: Hari Hari said all three parts were provided in the Sonic Jam strategy guide. He has made a scan of parts 2 & 3 for us.
episode 2
episode 3
Oh yeah, that would be this.

http://home.graffiti.net/icecap/links.jpg
Cool! Hmm… I knew that Chaos was the God of Chao, but I’m surprised he had a direct relation to Cheese. I also expected Rouge to have some relation to Shadow (and possibly Knuckles).
Well it certainly isn't canon now that Charmy was introduced with Vector and Espio as a "new character" for Sonic Heroes.
I think Iizukia was speaking in terms of characters design (and not character history) when he said that. Heroes did make a few implicit references to Chaotix and suggested that at least Vector might have had some prior knowledge of Knuckles.
Heck, when they were doing interviews for Heroes, they acted like even Knuckles Chaotix hadn't existed.
The Heroes story line and interviews gave me the impression that Sonic Team didn’t want to explicitly confirm or deny the ‘canon’ status of Chaotix.
My question is, is this official/canon/whatever? If so the "ancient Eggman" could explain the prophecy mural in the Hidden Palace Zone.
I thought it may have been part of the game ‘canon’ when I first saw it, but the presence of ‘proto-Amy' makes it seem unlikely.

^_^

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I wish someone from Sonic Team would give a straight answer about where and when the Chaotix were created. Heck, when they were doing interviews for Heroes, they acted like even Knuckles Chaotix hadn't existed.
I would imagine that very few of the creative staff on Chaotix are (or ever were) with Sonic Team, if any of them are even still with Sega. I don't think they're dodging the questions so much as they really don't know.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think you're right, but I was just under the impression that most or all of the cast of Chaotix weren't created by the Chaotix staff anyhow. Though, I guess that doesn't mean that Sonic Team were responsible for creating them, either.

After we found out about Vector being created during the development of Sonic 1, I always figured it'd be a similar story for the rest of the Chaotix... but now I guess it looks more like they just mashed them all together from a variety of totally unrelated Sonic sources.