Sega Superstars - New pictures and details

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

Anyone remember Wonder Boy? He should be brought back.

Nova

Post by Nova »

smiths32 wrote:Anyone remember Wonder Boy? He should be brought back.
I do...have you ever played the Acarde game were he is a Knight?

smiths32

Post by smiths32 »

A knight? Do you mean swordsman?

I've got all of his Master System games: the first one was a shitty rip off of Adventure Island, and was well, shitty; the second one kind of set the RPG element while keeping a platforming element, it was good; the third was the best, and can be described as a sort of 2d Zelda; the fourth (which was also released on Mega Drive) was pretty good, and much like the third one, not quite as good though. He got a good few Mega Drive games as well, but I haven't played them- they're supposed to be crappy, and are probably the reason why we haven't seen Wonder Boy heroes. The games were good, I mean who doesn't like hitting things with a sword, and on the third one you got to transform into animals, how neat is that?

As for Alex Kidd, his first game was superb, while the rest were sub-par platformers, nuff said.

While we're on the topic of Master System games, are there any other ones that are decent?

Grant

Post by Grant »

Wonder Boy?

What is the secret of his powers?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

smiths32 wrote:
I've got all of his Master System games: the first one was a shitty rip off of Adventure Island, and was well, shitty;
You mean the Adventure Island games skinned-off of Wonder Boy. Wonder Boy came before Adventure Island.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Amazing Grant wrote:
Wonder Boy?

What is the secret of his powers?
What powers you ask? I dunno, how about the power of flight? That do anything for you? That's levitation holmes. How about the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away... with mind bullets! That's telekinesis, Kyle! How 'bout the power... to move you?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

You mean the Adventure Island games skinned-off of Wonder Boy. Wonder Boy came before Adventure Island.
Yeah, that's true. Wonder Boy was originally developed by Hudson for Sega, then Hudson wanted to port the game to the NES, a proprosition to which Sega, of course, gave a big fat thumbs down. So they recreated the exact same game with a new character and a new title. Then they went on to make sequels to it as far as the SNES era, though I don't think any of those were ever brought over. In Japan the series goes by the name "Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima." It had four or five sequels...
While we're on the topic of Master System games, are there any other ones that are decent?
It seems there were very few original quality titles on the Master System. Mostly it just had crappy arcade ports. There was the first Alex Kidd game, of course, and the Monster World games. It has an enhanced port of Golvellius, a neat Zelda/Y's-esque action RPG that was originally on the MSX. The Master System version of Ninja Gaiden is different from the others, and is actually my favorite of the old-school ones. I'm sure there are a few others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Well there was a Wonder boy Arcade were you could buy weapons and armor in shops and it wasn’t Wonder boy 4(For the Genesis) in Japanese, I have the rom of that one and is not the same. Maybe it was Wonder boy 5?.

Aztec adventure, that game was cool in the Master system and of course, don’t forget HANG ON!.

And talking about Alex Kidd games, Alex kidd in Shinobi world is good, it was the last one of his games. To bad for him it was released the same year than “Sonicâ€￾.

And Master system had the start of a saga that has been revived as online games, Phantasy star!.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Oh yeah, Phantasy Star. Shame on me for forgetting that.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, the Megadrive Sucessor to Miracle World, was always a load of fun as well. Horrible box artwork though.

The Mickey Mouse games [Land of Illusion, not Castle or World] was a nice game, as was Donald in the Lucky Dime Caper.

I used to Play the Taz-Mania game on it as well, very different to the Megadrive version.

Olympic Gold '92 was always a favourite button masher. California Games on the Master System shat over the Megadrive version because it had 2 more events [Discus and something else].

The Shinobi games on the MS wern't too bad I think..

Grant

Post by Grant »

Esrever wrote:What powers you ask? I dunno, how about the power of flight? That do anything for you? That's levitation holmes. How about the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away... with mind bullets! That's telekinesis, Kyle! How 'bout the power... to move you?
This made me as happy as a little girl..

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's always nice when at least one other person is in on the joke. But not when everyone is. Then we couldn't ask ellitist and exclusory!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I get it. I just, y'know, don't feel the need to prove it.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Oh, suuuuuure.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I don't get it.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Then we couldn't ask ellitist and exclusory!
It's eletist. You're so below me.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Rlan wrote:Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, the Megadrive Sucessor to Miracle World, was always a load of fun as well. Horrible box artwork though.

The Mickey Mouse games [Land of Illusion, not Castle or World] was a nice game, as was Donald in the Lucky Dime Caper.

I used to Play the Taz-Mania game on it as well, very different to the Megadrive version.

Olympic Gold '92 was always a favourite button masher. California Games on the Master System shat over the Megadrive version because it had 2 more events [Discus and something else].

The Shinobi games on the MS wern't too bad I think..
I hate that one because it abuses too much of the “Rock paper scissor thingâ€￾

You cant "buy" anything in the game...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Actually, Pop, it's "elitist," but I won't hold it against you.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

You must be joking.

CE

Post by CE »

Why are there Puyo blobs on the box?

aso

Post by aso »

What gets me is how much of a stretch 'Billy Hatcher' is for a game called Sega 'Superstars'.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Hey, if the control scheme on that game had been tighter, and the graphics had been more polished - it could've been great.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

It still would have flopped.

Titan

Post by Titan »

Billy gets no love =(