Sonic and Angry Birds

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic and Angry Birds

Post by big_smile »

SQUAAAAAAAAWK! ANGRY BIRDS™ JOIN SONIC DASH™ FOR AN EPIC THREE-WEEK CELEBRATION

Sonic Dash Celebrates 100 Million Downloads with Angry Birds Epic

Sonic gets by with a little help from his friends for a celebration of epic proportions. SEGA®, in partnership with Rovio Entertainment Ltd., is proud to announce that today Angry Birds™ Epic will be appearing in Sonic Dash™ for a limited time on the App Store, Google Play™, Amazon Appstore and Windows Phone Store. This in-game event will include three of the most popular and best-known characters from the Angry Birds franchise: Red, Chuck and Bomb.

“We were thrilled with the opportunity to work with Rovio on this integration,” said Chris Southall, CTO of Hardlight™. “The expressive, colorful, and fun characters from Angry Birds Epic lend themselves flawlessly to Sonic Dash and really enhance the overall experience.”

This three-week in-game event will feature a different fan-favorite Angry Bird from Angry Birds Epic each week, including Red ‘Knight,’ Chuck ‘Mage,’ and Bomb ‘Pirate.’ Players will dash through the endless runner, collecting the special Angry Birds Epic tokens to unlock featured characters. Once a character is successfully unlocked, it will remain playable following the close of the event. Players will also have the option to purchase Red, Chuck, and Bomb using premium currency during the event.

“Our EPIC Sonic collaboration together with SEGA is a fantastic milestone for Angry Birds,” said Wilhelm Taht, Head of External Products at Rovio. “Having two such iconic game characters and games work seamlessly together will delight millions of fans worldwide in both Sonic Dash and Angry Birds Epic.”

Sonic Dash is also celebrating a major milestone — the game has achieved over 100 million downloads since its launch in March of 2013. SEGA is proud to have hit this landmark, making Sonic Dash the most downloaded Sonic mobile game in the history of the legacy IP.

The Angry Birds Epic in-game event starts today and will run for three weeks.
Photos were posted on the Hardlight facebook page and then removed. But of course the Internet has them backed up:
CHOUALQXIAAcvqV.jpg-large.jpg
CHOUALQXIAAcvqV.jpg-large.jpg (201.11 KiB) Viewed 30942 times

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sonic and Angry Birds

Post by Radrappy »

I was going to get mad but then remembered the KFC/711 tie-ins that PSO2 had and got less mad.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Is this finally rock bottom?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

^It's Sonic. The pits are bottomless.

I remember when Sonic Heroes was declared Rock Bottom.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

This isn't meant to sound melodramatic, but this actually caused me to immediately uninstall the game. Granted the game lost its draw right quick on its own, but blurgh.

It's quite astonishing how often I see kids wearing Angry Birds merch. It's such a blatantly mercenary and manufactured property, which admittedly is what sonic has become but without even that initial spark of inspiration and craftsmanship. It's a slash-and-burn fad on the ebb, and I sincerely doubt history will deem it iconic.

Neo

Post by Neo »

big_smile wrote:It's Sonic. The pits are bottomless.
Redeemed.
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:It's quite astonishing how often I see kids wearing Angry Birds merch. It's such a blatantly mercenary and manufactured property, which admittedly is what sonic has become but without even that initial spark of inspiration and craftsmanship. It's a slash-and-burn fad on the ebb, and I sincerely doubt history will deem it iconic.
I'm assuming you're one of those hipsters who hates Minecraft and Garry's Mod and the Internet.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

No. I can begrudgingly see the merits in things loud, annoying kids drone on about. Minecraft encourages creativity, likewise those other thing; there is nothing to Angry Birds.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Teaming up with Sonic--does this mean Angry Birds is finally on the way out?

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I wonder who approached who to make this thing happen. I wouldn't respond favorably to "Hey, we're the Sonic guys, want to do a crossover? :grin: "
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:No. I can begrudgingly see the merits in things loud, annoying kids drone on about. Minecraft encourages creativity, likewise those other thing; there is nothing to Angry Birds.
Maybe they think it's fun.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B59q-tV933I

I thought I was jaded enough nowadays, but it hurts. It looks like a badly-made hack.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

big_smile wrote:^It's Sonic. The pits are bottomless.
haha

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Apropos Angry Birds: Flying Princess - Inter Breed - (NSFW) was finally released last week, and it was well worth the wait and the money. It's a hentai strategy RPG Angry Birds-derivate with monstergirls, and exceptionally polished and well-designed.

You flick your heroines at enemies, and a mouse-click mid-flight stalls their momentum and makes them execute a character-specifc special attack. After they've landed, they will repeat this attack on the ground (or in the air, if they're one of the flying monstergirls) at the end of each subsequent turn, provided they aren't killed by an enemy. The goal of each stage—usually divided into 3–5 “Battles” (screens)—is to defeat all the enemies labelled “Leader”. Your number of turns per Battle is limited by the characters you have left over, so if any of them are knocked out in an early Battle you might not be able to get to the end of the stage, because your remaining girls cannot do enough damage (or cover enough ground) to defeat the rest of the enemies.

During a stage you can fulfil different objectives, namely collecting a certain number of coins scattered throughout the stage or finishing within a certain turn limit. This unlocks new and better equipment. You can equip each character with a weapon, armour (which both show on their high-res sprites), and an accessory; and you can further customise each of these items with stat-raising cards. There's also a store where you can buy and sell items, but the stage rewards are much better. Your characters also gain experience and level up.

There's six chapters with 2*5 stages each, and three difficulties. While Normal is a breeze to play through, Hard already requires more thorough preparation. Maniac demands a bit of grinding, equipping your characters with the best things you've got, carefully selecting whom to bring to a stage and where to fling her, and not wasting any turns. It's very challenging and satisfying. Each chapter introduces a new setting with its unique environmental hazards (such as doors you need to break in, currents that affect the flight of your character, or simply difficult terrain that limits your movement on the ground), and new enemies. It's a lot of content and no two stages feel the same.

You can also encounter enemies with floating hearts surrounding them. If you fling one of your human characters at it, they're disabled for the rest of the stage, but at the end they give birth to a monstergirl which joins your army. Shooting a girl at an eagle gives you a harpie, for example, and they inherit their mother's element/colour. Each monstergirl has its own attack and movement patterns, and can procreate as well. There's even hybrids you can breed, for example by tossing a plant girl at a slime to create a dryad!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Is this representative gameplay? (Almost safe for work? Appears to contain tiny naked blue fairies, depends on your work I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFagh1jrUgw

Doesn't quite have the punch I was expecting. I mean not to judge based on one short video but for all those seeming strategic improvements on Angry Birds it doesn't really sell me on the "flinging action."

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

G.Silver wrote:Is this representative gameplay? (Almost safe for work? Appears to contain tiny naked blue fairies, depends on your work I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFagh1jrUgw

Doesn't quite have the punch I was expecting. I mean not to judge based on one short video but for all those seeming strategic improvements on Angry Birds it doesn't really sell me on the "flinging action."
Those are the first few stages, sort of a tutorial. The player also doesn't seem to know what he's doing since he doesn't activate the attacks during the initial fling. The game gets more complex and more difficult later on, so I'd say this isn't really representative. Though the difficulty goes down again once you've bred yourself a dryad, a flying mermaid, a bee/spider hybrid, and a snakegirl near the end of the game.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

To illustrate the kind of strategy and tactics that come up in the game:

http://i.imgur.com/QCDeKES.png
This stage is mid-game. Characters who can only move along the ground will fall into the battlements and get stuck, so you should remove those from your party for this stage. The embrasures are a good place to fling characters with large AoE attacks though, because the enemy can't really get to them.

The little bee on the left side of the screen does nothing but shoot at the wooden bridge every turn. If it breaks, then during the last Battle of the stage there'll be a chasm too wide to cross for your characters. So you can either try and kill everything as quickly as possible, waste a valuable turn to get rid of the bee, or bring flying characters who don't need any bridges. Flying characters are vulnerable to the ogres' attacks though, since when they swing their club they send a lot of dust and rock flying diagonally upwards which deals a lot of damage.

But no matter how you decide to tackle the stage, you'll have to fling your characters in the right location, lest they're in a vulnerable spot or their attacks aren't as effective as they need to be (unless they're one of those whose attack makes them stop in midair and drop straight down).

Alternatively, just try out the demo. The save carries over.