Shorts - Sonic Heroes PC/New Sonic Café game

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Sonic Battle is shit. But then, I am not so desperate for a competently executed story in the Sonic universe that I will sit through a repetetive, unbalanced, god-awful button-masher.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

here here!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Sonic Battle is shit. But then, I am not so desperate for a competently executed story in the Sonic universe that I will sit through a repetetive, unbalanced, god-awful button-masher.
The characters themselves are balanced - something apparent in regular mode.

It's the story mode's way of pitting you against 50 opponents stronger and faster than you that's unbalanced.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Protodude wrote:Plus, Knuckles is just to macho man type. He talks like the hulk and gets pissed about everything to do with the emeralds.
Knuckles is the Stupid American, duh. Don't you watch anime?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The characters themselves are balanced - something apparent in regular mode.

It's the story mode's way of pitting you against 50 opponents stronger and faster than you that's unbalanced.
One of the game's real problems is that there isn't much to it than tapping the R button.

If only Sonic Team had left the story to Jupiter and collaborated with AM2 or Capcom to produce the actual fighting portions.

^_^

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Knuckles is the Stupid American, duh. Don't you watch anime?
To be fair, the only Sonic character that actually seems Japanese to me is Amy and her magical ability to summon hammers out of nowhere. And Shadow along with his angsty hero who was artificially created and is searching for a purpose in a life he views as largely meaningless

Aside from Amy and Shadow, most of the rest of the cast are characters that seem almost intended for an American audience.

Mostly lazy, laid-back, loud-mouthed hero.

Firey-tempered idiot.

Shy little techno geek.

Little girl.

Slutty spy.

Idiot fat-ass.

Where's the strong-willed, determined, over-working do-gooder? The hot-headed little guy? The friendly and loyal fat guy? The silent pretty-boy loner? The girl who has no other personality aside from being female? You know - the regular cast of Japanese fill-in personalities? They're not really there.

Well, they're in Billy Hatcher, actually. Aside from the silent, pretty-boy loner. 'Cause shoving eggs around chickens doesn't let you keep your mystique.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Hey, what about the "stupid-everyday-bad-guy-that-i'snt-anything-compared-to-the-misterious-and-real-bad-guy"?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Hey, what about the "stupid-everyday-bad-guy-that-i'snt-anything-compared-to-the-misterious-and-real-bad-guy"?
Sadly, Eggman's been filling that role since Adventure.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

So that means SA+ Eggman is filling an American fill-in stereotype or a Japanese one?

Shy little techno geek.
But Tails is a kid. And highly intelligent children is a bigger cliché in the Japanese entertainment media than the American one.
Little girl.

Slutty spy.
Wouldn't these clichés also apply to Japanese stereotypes--especially since Rouge is characterized as the "bad mysterious girl with big breasts".

And it seems that many of the recent popular anime/manga the main heroes are either lazy, laid back or loud-mouthed. Hmm...
The friendly and loyal fat guy
Well, this fits Big but he's absent in Sonic Battle.
Where's the strong-willed, determined, over-working do-gooder
I thought this was a common American stereotype also as seen in Mickey Mouse(or in most Disney heroes in general), Superman, and well, in 90% of American action cartoons.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I bet the vast majority of people who've played and enjoyed the game were kids 12 and under since they seem to be Sonic's largest fanbase and well, most kids will play any video game that has bright and colorful settings and funny cartoon people/animals/robots/fungi whether it is crap or not.
Regardless of taste, I think Sonic Heroes best qualities are made specifically to appeal to kids around 12 with too much time on their hands. I know I could have better appreciated it if I weren't always thinking "these levels are too damn long," and while I'm certainly not enamored with the team system (and a zillion other qualities the game has) there's only a few things (the frustration factor, mainly) that I think push the game into the rubbish catagory. The reason why I hate it is because I care, damnit. But I think that if I were a 12 year old who didn't know any better, I might totally fall for Sonic Heroes.

On a sort-of-related note, when I went back to Japan I visited the family who's kids I tutored English to. The deal was that I would teach them English, but mostly we played Sonic Adventure and Mario Tennis and they gave me free food. When I came back I asked about Sonic Heroes, and they said it didn't look very interesting. These kids are 8 and 11, so if the under-12 crowd is the main audience for Sonic it apparently didn't work this time. I'm so proud!

John Pannozzi

Post by John Pannozzi »

Zeta wrote: Now with ten characters in each team! And 24 characters! You want to play as Ray / Mighty / Bomb / Heavy / Chris don't you?

OF COURSE YOU DO! And they'll play exactly like Sonic's team, and Amy's Team, and Espio's Team! And Fang's Team! And Shaow's Team! And Bark's Team! And Princess Fucking Sally's Team!
Don't hurt me, I DO want to play as Ray, Mighty, Bomb, Heavy, Chris, Fang and Sally.