Sonic 4 Episode 2 Not to Come until 2012

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Jingles

Sonic 4 Episode 2 Not to Come until 2012

Post by Jingles »

http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/20 ... until_2012
This year, 2011, is the anniversary, so we're focusing on the celebration title. But moving forward to 2012, Sonic will still be going, so I'd hope to provide Episode 2 then. It was always the plan. We knew about the anniversary year, and Generations was planned way in advance. It was always our plan to release Episode 2 after Generations.
I'm surprised it's actually coming! I thought it would just be tossed aside and never officially canceled or continued. Maybe this one will be better!*

*this is a lie

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Re: Sonic 4 Episode 2 Not to Come until 2012

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Dimps would have to re-build the engine from scratch, as well as throw in Tails, in order for Episode 2 to be worth my money. Aside from maybe the graphics at times, I can't think of anything next to say about the first episode.

Hopefully a year-and-a-half (or perhaps two) pause between episodes will result in SOMETHING, though. Like more inspired levels, or Special Stages that are actually fun.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Oh the woe. Perhaps the next one won't feel like a nail in the franchise's coffin.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

At least it can't possibly be worse than the first one, I guess.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

They're really spreading out this game if they plan to release episodes 2 years apart from one another. Is anyone going to care by the time they release the third episode? Do we really need a year of hype prior to release for a 12 act episode?

(I'm actually still looking forward to this for some reason. Shame.)

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I actually feel this is good news that this game is not coming out until 2012. Episode 1 was so terrible. honestly for the most part, sonic generations looks like so much better than sonic 4 it is amazing they even bother continuing sonic 4.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

Same here. I am confused as to how kids could make a excellent game like Street Fighter IV and a decent game like Sonic Advance and make something so lifeless.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Some tidbits from a hands-on/interview at PAX, courtesy of Sonic Retro forums:
Originally Posted by Shade Vortex:
Also, he confirmed CD was retrofitted to take place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles and before Sonic 4 Episode 1. He said the original developers of CD never put it in any specific place in the timeline, so they decided to say that it's before Sonic 4.

He also told me that when Sonic CD is released and Sonic 4 Episode 2 is announced, there'll be a trailer where Sonic escapes from his detour. Here's a bit of explanation on that. See, in all the Sonic 4 trailers, Sonic is chasing Eggman from the left of the screen to the right. In the Sonic CD trailer, there's a signpost instead, and when he hits it, he takes a detour and does the story of Sonic CD. Once his CD adventure is over, his detour ends, and he goes onto Sonic 4 Episode 2 (I guess for story sake, E1 is being skipped? He said the next trailer would have his detour end by him going to S4E2).

Also, he confirmed the US soundtrack is not currently planned for use in the full release, due to licensing issues, but they are trying to work around that and come up with a solution for us fans, someone suggested that if it's monetary issues, they could have the US soundtrack as DLC, which sounds like a good idea to me.

He also said that Sonic 4 "will never" use the Retro Engine, because the codebase is incompatible with the Sonic 4 engine, which they are still using for S4E2 (though probably with tweaks, since he says they are working to make it better and resolve complaints).
Guess Episode 2 will be based on Sonic CD like how Episode 1 was based on Sonic 1 & 2.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php? ... t&p=614941

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

They can say that to their blue in the face, but -- unless Oshima himself confirms -- CD takes place between 1 and 2.

Dipshits, the lot of 'em.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I thought Sonic CD took place in an alternate universe where we didn't give a shit about what order things were in.

Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I didn't think it mattered, seeing how the series has zero continuity.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

You forgot this gem:
Patrick Riley was there, and he has a message for you, Taxman.
Shut up.
His words. I asked him about the S2 spindash switching and he said that feature could be taken out before release if it's found to break the game, and explained features get cut all the time during development, so developers shouldn't talk about features during development when they're not supposed to. I think he said something about leaving an email about that.
lmao, even they want Taxman to stop running his mouth. On the off chance this port sucks, I shudder to speculate how much he'll regret teasing Retro!

Not even the US soundtrack is safe from the age old "licensing" excuse? Now that too sounds like a total crock of shit. I distinctly recall Spencer Nilsen putting it on the record that Sega owns all of work for CD and can do whatever they please with it.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Sonic Labyrinth clearly comes before all the other games in the franchise because it explains how Sonic got his shoes. Things end up turning a bit complicated when the timeline splits in Sonic Adventure 2, with one timeline having the moon remain intact and the other being a string of crappy Game Boy Advance games.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Haha, fine. I'll concede it's not worth worry about chronology of these games, even if notion that enough time passed between 2 & 3 to fit an entire game into is far-fetched.

Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Neo wrote:Things end up turning a bit complicated when the timeline splits in Sonic Adventure 2, with one timeline having the moon remain intact and the other being a string of crappy Game Boy Advance games.
The timeline split? I never got around to finishing SA2. It always bugged me that the moon was intact in every following game, assuming that they were chronological.
And while we're at it, when abouts are the games actually set? Station Square looks like a standard modern city, whereas Riders had a future city with hoverboards.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Jesus cocksucking Christ, just make a new standalone sequel already Dimps. God, those idiots couldn't come up with a new idea if their life depended on it.

All they have planed is to rehash every previous classic Sonic sequel. Guess what game episode three will copy? You guessed it! Sonic 3. I call it.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Knuckles sticks to the walls! Can't Dimps do anything right?!

Neo

Post by Neo »

Farmer wrote:And while we're at it, when abouts are the games actually set? Station Square looks like a standard modern city, whereas Riders had a future city with hoverboards.

Don't worry, I fact-checked it myself.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

That looks like fun.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Sonic 1 is the first of the Genesis games.
Tails isn't around during Sonic 1.
In Sonic 2, Tails is there.
In Sonic CD, Tails isn't around.

Sonic CD takes place between Sonic 1 and 2.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Are the events of Sonic 1 the first in any sort of official continuity? Is there an official continuity for the overall Sonic series floating out there, like there supposedly is for the Legend of Zelda games?

I love it how much we analyze this series to death. :wink:

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Okay, now that we have a complete video interview from the show floor itself, a massive infodump/list of clarifications to clear up any remaining issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWGJpl_xheI
-It’s commonly understood that Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles form what is called “The Death Egg Trilogy” because of the overarching story of Eggman’s Death Egg across the titles. Sonic CD was a self-contained adventure that hovered around that area with the most popular belief to be between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, despite no true concrete evidence.

- Sonic 4 is trying to bridge all of them together more. It’s not trying to give Sonic CD a concrete place in the timeline, just say that “It happened prior to Sonic 4: Episode 1.” It does not mean Sonic CD is immediately before Sonic 4: Episode 1 and after Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

-The events of Sonic CD are important to Episode 2. You can see Metal Sonic in the ending. The idea is you’ll see how Metal Sonic comes back after his destruction in Sonic CD and his return. (Knuckles Chaotix unavailable for comment.)

-Sega is supportive on Christian “The Taxman” Whitehead’s Retro Engine, calling it “a really good piece of technology.”

-“You’ve got to work within the confines of what a publisher is and what a publisher does in order to get all the benefits as well. We as a publisher will get the benefits from working with really talented developers, and developers on the flip side get the benefits of working with a publisher and all the things and all the exposure they get and they can bring to the table, as well as working on really big brands, like Sonic.”

- On Metal Sonic: “He’s appeared in some of these [games], but we’ve never made him so integral to that continuity. We’ve had him back, but no one ever explained how he comes back after CD. He’s just there. So, we’re going make sure that we fill in some of these really nice… I almost think of it like Star Wars, right? We’re going to go back and explain this really cool era that was the Clone Wars? We’re going to go back and explain this really cool era that was the classic experience, and show you guys some really fun stuff.”

-With regards to Sonic 2 Spindash and the “HD Filter”: “Stay tuned.” He doesn’t want to confirm anything until details are more concrete. However, a filter will be present.

-On Sonic CD not being on 3DS, Vita: “We never really intended to release it yet for the Playstation Vita, or the Playstation Go, or the Nintendo 3DS… those were never really on the table. We were always talking about, ‘It was either digital console or mobile devices.’

- He’s unable to comment on why the game isn’t on WiiWare.

-The U.S. Soundtrack will not be included at this time due to licensing issues. However, there’s a couple of more surprises to be revealed later down the road.

The trailers have nothing to do with the continuity of the games. They’re their own thing designed by Balough. The ‘detour’ talked about previously is Sonic going to the past so players can relive Sonic CD and understand its events and references in Sonic 4: Episode 2.
http://www.sonicretro.org/2011/08/corre ... d-sonic-4/

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I think he should know better than to make comparisons to Star Wars prequel material.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

On Metal Sonic: “He’s appeared in some of these [games], but we’ve never made him so integral to that continuity. We’ve had him back, but no one ever explained how he comes back after CD.
I always just assumed Robotnik fixed him. How hard is that?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:Sonic 1 is the first of the Genesis games.
Tails isn't around during Sonic 1.
In Sonic 2, Tails is there.
In Sonic CD, Tails isn't around.

Sonic CD takes place between Sonic 1 and 2.
Tails did cameo in the DA Garden sound test, flying the Tornado around Little Planet. It mainly comes down to which you prefer Eggman having created first, Sonic 2's Mecha Sonic or Sonic CD's Metal Sonic.
G.Silver wrote:
On Metal Sonic: “He’s appeared in some of these [games], but we’ve never made him so integral to that continuity. We’ve had him back, but no one ever explained how he comes back after CD.
I always just assumed Robotnik fixed him. How hard is that?
The Japanese Chaotix manual said outright that Eggman fixed up its remains after Sonic CD, and upgraded him with a laser. But then Sonic Heroes played out as though Charmy, Vector and Espio had never met Eggman before, so the entire game is pretty much ignored.