Sonic 1 & 2 anniversary soundtrack

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Sonic 1 & 2 anniversary soundtrack

Post by Crazy Penguin »

http://www.thedailydl.com/sonic-the-hed ... announced/

Yep. I might actually buy this one.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Re: Sonic 1 & 2 anniversary soundtrack

Post by Farmer »

I do hope they release this digitally, but not in the claim-they-have-when-they-flagrantly-have-not way of releasing Colours' soundtrack on iTunes.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

When they talk about the demotapes does that mean rough recordings of Nakamura strumming out the bassline while humming the melody or what?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Why aren't you nerds talking about this more? These are great.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's super weird how almost all the Sonic 2 demos are so much slower than the final songs! I wonder if it was someone internal at SEGA who made the decision to speed them all up?

I'd never really thought about it before, but in retrospect, the songs in Sonic 2 WERE generally a lot faster than Sonic 1. The Sonic 2 demos seem more in line with the range of slower tempo-ed songs in the original game.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Wow, I am amazed! Truth be told, I disliked almost all of Sonic 2's music except for CPZ, ARZ, and HPZ, finding it often a bit unfitting or downright grating, however these slower demo mixes I have none of these issues with and even songs I absolutely detested in the game like OOZ, MCZ, or MZ I suddenly enjoy! Time to see if this thing is on Play‐Asia…

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

*CPZ, ARZ, HPZ, and CNZ, of course

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I wondered if you guys were discussing the same thing that I'm currently listening to, because the vast majority of these demos are terrible. The majority of them are overbearing, have awful instrumentation, or, of course, are too slow-paced. Hence why they're demos, I'm sure. These tracks do have a lot of value to the fandom as a whole, though.

I do like the demos for Green Hill, Marble Zone, Sonic 1's Special Stage, Sky Chase, Wing Fortress and Death Egg Zone, mostly due to good alternative instrumentation. The extended main theme is pretty different, but it works. Sonic 2's Special Stage is fucking horrendous, though.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Yyyyyyyeeeeah I have to agree with Wombatwarlord here. These sound bad. They have some historical value but the instrumentation is altogether worse than the Mega Drive's own.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think these demos were really mixed for casual listening so much as just establishing the different parts for different instruments. Like, think of it as sheet music for each part, run through a general midi library to get a rough idea of what it sounds like. I'm sure he didn't give TOO much thought to the exact sample choices, since he'd have known none of them would be used in game anyway. (And was probably limited to the instruments in whatever MIDI library was included in his home audio program.)

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Yeah of course, I'm not speaking to criticise Nakamura's skills, I just don't think the tracks are listenable.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

When I listened to them they reminded me a lot of the Sonic 4 soundtrack, the way every song sounded the same as the one before it because the instruments didn't vary at all. If I didn't already know and like the songs I probably wouldn't have liked listening to the demos at all.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, this in interesting, but Sonic X japanese songs and Adventure 1&2 songs are still my favorites...