Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Having never played '06, either of the Rivals games, or anything else he was a major part in, I should be indifferent about him. I don't really like his character design though. And there was no need for even more new characters at the time. And he represents a game I'm told is broken. And he has some kind of link with Blaze that doesn't make sense in the context of Rush and Rush Adventure.

He has no place in Generations as far as I'm concerned.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

New preview with a few videos at gamesradar. Excerpt:
There is even hope for the more awkward bits that are still in there. If by some chance you were lucky enough to try the 'Modern Sonic' version of Green Hill Zone (at E3 or Summer of Sonic, for instance), you might have tripped up on a few obstacles near the end of the act. Well, they're gone now. The levels are being worked on even now to ensure they flow as well as they possibly can - and that's (hopefully) going to be the making of this game.
Baffling. It's as if they care about the game's quality or something.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

What a detailed excerpt. Not.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Wow, cool, pedantry. From you. What a surprise.

The point is that they're still actively trying to improve and refine the game based on feedback and watching it in action, in stark contrast to the pre-Colors "no, trust us, we'll work the kinks out before launch" attitude. Which is funny, because I haven't come across any serious complaints in the previews I've read. Then there's this:
Tails is rescued first, which brings up a neat little exchange where Sonic says Green Hill Zone 'looks familiar' and Tails says 'not to me'.
Which is great.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Does that mean they're taking out those silly "side under this narrow gap or you stop dead" obstacles in the modern segments? That would be good.

Also I really wish they'd fix the spin-dash and the tubes in Green Hill.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Maybe they've gotten somebody to playtest it before release.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I think they mean they have taken out the little steps that Sonic will trip over and stumble forward usually into an Egg Pawn's fist that you would get in Unleashed and Colours. Which is nice.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Forza Johnman wrote:I think they mean they have taken out the little steps that Sonic will trip over and stumble forward usually into an Egg Pawn's fist that you would get in Unleashed and Colours. Which is nice.
I hope so. I don't know why sonic team would put shit like that in every game and think that fans would like that.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

I think I might have missed something here, but what the fuck is that at the ending? Has that been in a Sonic game?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

It's the elemental beast that is the big bad in this game. He's responsible for all the time travel problems.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I believe his name is the "Time Eater."

Eggman awakens him from his thousand-year-slumber hoping to tap his energy and weaponize him. But once he reaches full strength, Eggman can't control him, and he tries to destroy the world!

(OK, I just made that last paragraph up, but you have to admit... it's a pretty safe bet! I'd be 100 percent sure, except the script is being written by the Colours guys, so maybe they won't feel quite so beholden to the old formula.)

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Judging from that trailer and previous screenshots, it seems that Modern Sonic has at least four boss battles (everybody from Shadow up), which makes sense chronologically, I suppose. But I had assumed that Classic Sonic would be getting half the boss battles. Oh well?

I really like how Perfect Chaos looks now that we can see his entire form, and I really like the more Eggmanland-ish cyberpunk elements from the Egg Dragoon fight. The Time Eater I'm not so certain about...

Wombatwarlord777

Modern Sky Sanctuary
Modern Seaside Hill

Ocean Palace's level music blends in with that of Seaside Hill. I don't know if it only plays during the more ruin-inspired areas of the level or not. Knowing what a trek the original Seaside Hill was, its Generations reinterpretation seems, well, short.

Also, turtles ahoy!

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Not sure if anyone's noticed yet, but the Egg Dragoon boss takes place on Eggman's Spaceship during the intro of Unleashed. (Which explains the absence of the Werehog)

Kinda pissed about Super Sonic's exclusion from the Perfect Chaos fight. The only reasoning I can come up with is Sonic Team wants to save Super Sonic for the finale like they do with every 3D Sonic game. Hopefully there is an option to play as Super Sonic in all of the stages (and bosses) after beating the game.
Esrever wrote:I believe his name is the "Time Eater."

Eggman awakens him from his thousand-year-slumber hoping to tap his energy and weaponize him. But once he reaches full strength, Eggman can't control him, and he tries to destroy the world!

(OK, I just made that last paragraph up, but you have to admit... it's a pretty safe bet! I'd be 100 percent sure, except the script is being written by the Colours guys, so maybe they won't feel quite so beholden to the old formula.)
I was hoping the "Time Eater" was just the name of a device Classic Eggman would be piloting. The new trailer seems to have dashed any hopes of that.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

You never know, it does have gears on its edges if you look closely. Apparently the boss doors look similar, but I haven't spoiled that much of the game for myself.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Dude that level design for seaside hill was fucked up. It was a complicated mess. what the heck?

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:I'd be 100 percent sure, except the script is being written by the Colours guys, so maybe they won't feel quite so beholden to the old formula.
Oh, cool, I wasn't sure about this before. Big relief.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Radrappy wrote:Dude that level design for seaside hill was fucked up. It was a complicated mess. what the heck?
The level design is about the only thing that could go wrong. We've seen everything else. I'm really worried about the quality for level design though.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's cool to see 3d stages with so many different routes and areas to explore (like the best Sonic Colours levels had).

Seaside Hill looks CRAZY, though! Everything branching every which-way, blocks everywhere, dogs and cats living together! I think I'd need to play it myself before I'll be able to tell if it's awesome or just a complete, random mess. But it's neat to see a level that is structurally distinct, and not just another elevated highway with new wallpaper.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

That link also indicates that the PC version is regularly priced at $29.95. That seems sort of strange to me!

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Esrever wrote:It's cool to see 3d stages with so many different routes and areas to explore (like the best Sonic Colours levels had).

Seaside Hill looks CRAZY, though! Everything branching every which-way, blocks everywhere, dogs and cats living together! I think I'd need to play it myself before I'll be able to tell if it's awesome or just a complete, random mess. But it's neat to see a level that is structurally distinct, and not just another elevated highway with new wallpaper.
Im hoping the level design looks weird only because the player (webber) was tearing through it. I always get annoyed at people who play as FAST as they can through levels during demonstrations. Why not demonstrate gameplay that normal human beings would experience. You're not going to impress anyone with your speed running aaron. Or alternatively, the level design really is a fucked up mess. who thought it was a good idea to put mandatory homing attacks over bottomless pits immediately getting launched from a dash pad (the midair cubes from starlight carnival comes to mind). Fucking stupid. Eat a dick level designers. the kart segment looked great though.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

examples of bullshit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoNj8kHx-0&t=0m57s

doesnt even look like sonic is meant to go here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoNj8kHx-0&t=1m23s

there's definitely instant death under the water here. Terrible remnant of unleashed. people will die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoNj8kHx-0&t=0m25s

shitty trial and error,people will die here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoNj8kHx-0&t=1m36s

trial and error, you're going too fast, people wil die. Colors had this problem too. You almost HAD to die in order to know this rail was about to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoNj8kHx-0&t=2m35s

theese sequences are retarded. you slow down you die. Unless they'ers something under you which would be great.

visually it looks great, but there's a lot of stupid homing attack shit that makes it feel very SA2. And there's a lot of stupid shit left over from the worst parts of unleashed. Lots of stuff that will kill people during their first playthrough. Oh and the new double jump looks terrible and unnatural but I can deal with that. 2d designs look great. 3d looks like shit. Constant bottomless pits which sucks. Why cant they get rid of the boost attack. It brings nothing too the table apart from an adrenaline rush. Worst addition to sonic since the homing attack.

Wombatwarlord777

Does modern Sonic have a double jump in this game? I get the feeling it was added to Colors partly to make precision platforming easier (which, as I've said, was nigh impossible in Unleashed). I'd much prefer refined game mechanics to a double jump.

I actually like the boost, myself, mostly because it's almost always an optional maneuver, it is actually required to reach certain alternative routes and goodies, and it makes time attack runs all the more exhilarating. Also, apparently its really hard to make a fun 3D platformer with a realistic sense of high speeds and momentum, which is why I suppose Sonic Team resorts to using boost panels so much. While ideally I'd rather have gradually gained speed, the boost is an alright compromise: If you're going to give me the function of dash panels, let me work for it a bit and allow me to use it whenever I want.

Seaside Hill sort of looks like a complex mess to me too. I'm less concerned about the level design, though, and more worried about the level being visually cluttered.