Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Pepperidge
Drano Master

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Pepperidge »

Wow, those hubworlds look GREAT. More like this, Sonic Team.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Video's gone. Sadface. Any mirrors?
Crowbar wrote:They're continuing to try to give me an aneurysm with their historically inaccurate sound effects. Couldn't they have used an actual 1-up jingle for 1-ups instead of the Chaos Emerald jingle in at least the classic levels? The clouds in Sky Sanctuary also make completely the wrong sound (this is important because I always loved those clouds).
Ditto, man, on the clouds especially. That WUBBB sound they do is like my third favourite Sonic 3 sound effect.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I think this address is the same thing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuHW981wCE

I'm kind of disappointed that more elements of Sky Sanctuary weren't used, namely Mecha Sonic and some sort of interaction with the Death Egg. Maybe that'll be in Modern Sonic's run through the stage?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

j-man wrote:Video's gone. Sadface. Any mirrors?
Crowbar wrote:They're continuing to try to give me an aneurysm with their historically inaccurate sound effects. Couldn't they have used an actual 1-up jingle for 1-ups instead of the Chaos Emerald jingle in at least the classic levels? The clouds in Sky Sanctuary also make completely the wrong sound (this is important because I always loved those clouds).
Ditto, man, on the clouds especially. That WUBBB sound they do is like my third favourite Sonic 3 sound effect.
What are one and two? :3

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Crowbar wrote:No Classic Amy either. :(
Say what now?

I didn't watch the video, because I don't want to spoil the game for myself, but that's really sucky news. I was looking forward to seeing old-school Amy again.
Redrappy wrote:I'm embarrassed to say I ever liked SA2 in the first place. It's completely yucky.
Meh. To each his own. I loved Sonic Adventure 2 and still do to this day. The graphics were a step-down from the original, but the gameplay was better, framerate was smoother, more replay value, Chao Gardens were improved, there was more downloadable content. It was the only time Shadow wasn't an annoying tit, and we got to play as Eggman! (And abusing Omochao was endless amounts of fun)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So, uh... I guess I could pretend I was really annoyed by the non-canonical sound effects and absense of classic Bean, but... that looked really, really good. I'm super pleased with how the classic Sonic stages are shaping up. And even the modern Chemical Plant stage looked good, with a surprisingly good chunk of 2D platforming. This whole thing continues to ooze with an almost-alien amount of effort and care.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Yeah that video took away any reservations I had left. This looks all kinds of great.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

New Sonic Generations Trailer. Shows off Dreamcast Era (SA, SA2, SH)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtP-ofLf_Ag

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I have to say, the editing on these trailers is really, really crisp.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

I like the way they're using the moments during a cool down transition to show off what's next in each level. I really, really like the fact that they seem to have cottoned on to the importance of cool down transitions.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Crowbar wrote:What are one and two? :3
Off the top of my head, the mushrooms (BWORTT) and the door that slams shut after the laser boss in Flying Battery (JUH-JUB).

Echoing the general sentiment here, but this game looks fucking impressive. Hydrocity DLC and I'll suck Iizuka's right nut.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Dammit, I'm a sucker for Speed Highway with the Sonic 2 snare.

Wombatwarlord777

I hope that bit near the end with Shadow grinding is part of the boss fight and not merely a part of Shadow's cinematic introduction. It looks pretty neat!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I never thought that my favourite music track from Chaotix would be in the game. Good stuff!

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

I'm a little concerned as to how there's been no more mention of the hypothetical Steam release, and there's no PC logo on any of their trailers.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Farmer wrote:I'm a little concerned as to how there's been no more mention of the hypothetical Steam release, and there's no PC logo on any of their trailers.
I just hope that if there is a retail PC version, it doesn't come with Steamworks.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crazy Penguin wrote:I never thought that my favourite music track from Chaotix would be in the game. Good stuff!
Wait, which one and where?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

it's difficult to hear but 30 seconds into the 28 min video, "door to summer" plays in the red museum room. Pretty awesome.

Wombatwarlord777

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Is that the Station Square hotel in there?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I'm not sure if it's specifically supposed to be "the" hotel, but you're right! It certainly looks similar. Maybe it's the building you run down in Goin' Down? The exit at the bottom is sort of tiled that way.

Wombatwarlord777

I wonder if we'll see "At Dawn" in any capacity. The original is far too busy for Modern Sonic, but I think it could be adapted into something nice for Classic Sonic.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:Is that the Station Square hotel in there?
If you're talking about the hotel seen in the 360 classic shot, I don't think so. It looks exactly like the area in the original you fall into after the run down the building in the first half of the level. I think they originally used a few of the same assets for that and the hotel, though, so some similarities wouldn't surprise me.

Speaking of level halves, I'm surprised we haven't seen any assets from the second half of Speed Highway. Perhaps it looks a little too much like City Escape?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDJd6Ay ... r_embedded

New SS gameplay. The level design is just great. There's a great sense of flow. This kind of stuff makes modern sonic look like complete dog shit. Which it is. Here's hoping they axe modern s. altogether after this game and just focus on Sonic 5 for consoles or Sonic and Knuckles 2.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

This is a new Sonic game and yet I am optimistically and eagerly awaiting its release without any cynic remarks or grave concerns clouding my excitement. Never thought I'd see that happen again.