Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Radrappy »

it feels 100% like sonic unleashed HD.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Pretty much, but the level design is vastly improved. There are some pretty sneaky shortcuts, and I don't think I fell into a pit once!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Ill agree with that. The level design has gotten a lot better. hopefully what we've played also reflects early and less tight level design and that there is even better surprises to come. These games tend to kind of deteriorate though, in terms of quality.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Modern Sonic's jump looks less stiff in the videos. Did it feel that way at all?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I didn't play a lot of Unleashed HD so I haven't much basis for comparison, but it felt pretty good and I didn't have any problems with it. After playing Colours I was wondering where the double jump had gone, but even with that safety net the platforming sections were solid.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Blount wrote:Why is Sonic CD not a "main" game? It had different ideas going on and it came out on a different console than the rest of the series at the time, but I don't see how that's any different from Colors, which is being represented. If anything, the former had the debut of two main characters and was referenced by Sonic Adventure. That's got to count for something, right?
Wii is still a "main" console, Sega CD was an add-on that wouldn't work on it's own. Also Cream debuted in Advance 2 & reappeared in Heroes. Blaze debuted in Rush & reappeared in 06. Character debuts don't really mean much.

BTW, has the video of the Big Arm boss in the 3DS version been posted yet?

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Sega CD was an add-on that wouldn't work on it's own
Clearly you never owned a Sega Multi Mega. Well, neither did I, but I got so close in 1996. ..the seller even gave away Sonic CD as freebie. (With a price tag of 600 DM, he better did. Alas, I was a boy of 12 and only had like 450 ready. Third world poverty's a bitch I suppose.)

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

(No Imagination) wrote:DM
Wait, you are German?
Third world poverty's a bitch I suppose.
Wait, you are… Bosnian?

Preston

Post by Preston »

Team Mecha wrote:
Blount wrote:Why is Sonic CD not a "main" game? It had different ideas going on and it came out on a different console than the rest of the series at the time, but I don't see how that's any different from Colors, which is being represented. If anything, the former had the debut of two main characters and was referenced by Sonic Adventure. That's got to count for something, right?
Wii is still a "main" console, Sega CD was an add-on that wouldn't work on it's own. Also Cream debuted in Advance 2 & reappeared in Heroes. Blaze debuted in Rush & reappeared in 06. Character debuts don't really mean much.
What constitutes as a main game then? Sonic CD plays like the rest of the main 2D games only with time travel. I don't think it would hurt to consider it a main series game.

I'm sure CD will get some form of representation in Generations since Metal Sonic is a boss in the game. Maybe the boss fight will take place in Collision Chaos or Stardust Speedway. Unless the leaks really meant Mecha Sonic and the boss will take place at Sky Sanctuary.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

I think it's simply a matter of exposure. I never heard of Sonic CD while I was a kid, and I only know one person who had a Sega CD back then. I don't think he had Sonic CD for it.

My older brother, who grew up playing Sonic games with me, still hadn't heard of SCD until he started using emulators in the last year or two.

Considering that this game is going for the nostalgia buck, it makes sense to have levels from the games the audience is most likely to have played.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

all the level choices seem pretty safe. It would have been cool if they put a sonic advance stage in there like Chaos angel. would have loved to hear a remix of that levels bgm.

Cypher

Post by Cypher »

The 3DS version will be representing the Advance games. Chaos Angel is probably the coolest looking (and sounding) level from this era, so fingers crossed.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

P.P.A. wrote:
(No Imagination) wrote:DM
Wait, you are German?
No, but I can get there in 4 hours by highway!
P.P.A. wrote:
Third world poverty's a bitch I suppose.
Wait, you are… Bosnian?
No, but I can get there in 4 hours by highway!

As for "Metal Sonic"... I kind of assumed they just mean the Sky Sanctuary boss. But maybe there's gonna be rival characters to race and ... ah, who am I even kidding.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Preston wrote:I'm sure CD will get some form of representation in Generations since Metal Sonic is a boss in the game. Maybe the boss fight will take place in Collision Chaos or Stardust Speedway. Unless the leaks really meant Mecha Sonic and the boss will take place at Sky Sanctuary.
Maybe they'll mix the two of them up making it forever impossible to explain to people how they're supposed to be two completely different robots.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Video of the elemental shields in action

While my enthusiasm for this game has definitely diminished I must admit it is pretty cool to see the return of those shields.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Gaz wrote:I must admit it is pretty cool to see the return of those shields.
Indeed, although they still need to work on those. The bullet shape on the fire shield, bouncing shape on the water shield, etc...

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

They also need to not have the regular jump sound effect play when you do the double jump.

This annoys me in the same way that the classic Emerald jingle has been used as a 1-up jingle ever since Sonic Adventure.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

I'd hope they're just beta placeholder effects, as with the exception of the bubble shield they look nothing like the originals.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

The bubble barrier in generally seems very flawed. Sonic practically floats after bouncing once, and a friend noted that you bounce through enemies and not off them.

Blount

Post by Blount »

The elemental barriers were some of my favorite things in S3&K, so seeing them back after so long makes me quite happy. They added an extra layer of depth and made Sonic that much more enjoyable as a playable character. Which reminds me, I'd love it if they brought back Sonic's mid-air slash too.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

He did have it Sonic Advance 1 (don't know about 2 or 3), but I don't think it had any actual use in that game. It was definitely a niche thing in Sonic 3, but it had its uses.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

He did have it in Advance 3, but only with the right partner (can't remember who).

Neo

Post by Neo »

Tails and Knuckles, I think. Cream gives him the jump dash instead and anyone paired with Amy loses the ability to spin altogether.

Great game.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Nope, Knux only, and you even have to press B to use it, not A. So like all of the game's weird moves, you'll probably only use it by accident.

Out of the manual and offhand, everything Sonic can do in Advance 3:

- He can roll, spindash, and go into boost mode with anybody
- Spin Jump (all but Amy)
- Slide attack (Tails, Cream)
- R button tricks from Advance 2 (Tails)
- Flaming Slide Attack (Knux)
- Aforementioned W Kaiten (Knux)
- Upward Jump Dash (Knux)
- Bounce Attack (Knux)
- Hammer (Amy)
- Manually-triggered spin in mid-jump (Amy, everybody can use this)
- Uses an extreem snowboard or something when grinding for no apparent purpose or advantage (Amy)
- Jump Dash (Cream)
- Homing Attack (Cream)
- Cream gives him a perma-air bubble in water for drowning protection ("why? because stop thinking about it that's why")

And if you think some of these are obscure, these are positively ordinary compared to the others. Knuckles can spindash on walls with Amy!

Neo

Post by Neo »

Man, I just remembered Amy's vaginagrind from the first Advance. What was up with that?