Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

FlashTHD wrote:Languishing in mediocrity with polarizing reception to every release isn't any better.
Yeah, when it comes to this series I tend to alternate between realistic resignation and demanding exasperation. Like an unconscious good cop/bad cop play that's been going on for some five years already.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Kogen »

Something about Sonic's brow there looks off. It looks better than being a pudgy, deformed midget like on the proposed boxart, but still strange. That Tails art is high-flying, though! Hopefully if he is in it, they stick to that design.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Crazy Penguin wrote:I'm particularly fond of the Japanese Sonic 2 promotional art, which was markedly different from the box art. The style used for the box art is the one that carried over to Sonic 3 and Sonic CD though, which is a little bit of a shame.

*image*
Oh hey, the image in the bottom left and the one of Sonic leaning against the wall were also used in the European Sonic CD manual.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Farmer wrote: Image
I have always had a soft spot for "dead eyes" Robotnik, but I despise how they gave him a beard on the Sonic 2 box art.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

The way Sonic's pupil tries to enter his other eyeball is really weird looking to me now. I never even noticed it when I was a kid though.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I never noticed that Robotnik had a beard on the Sonic 2 box. No wonder I thought he looked so much like Yosimite Sam.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

I hates that hedgehog!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I've always thought that was his shirt and it looked that way 'cause it faded into the backround. 'Course now that I think of it, if it is indeed his shirt, that part oughta be yellow...

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the news section?

Blount

Post by Blount »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I've always thought that was his shirt and it looked that way 'cause it faded into the backround. 'Course now that I think of it, if it is indeed his shirt, that part oughta be yellow...
Besides, if that was his shirt, where would his chin be?

Ironically, Tails looks better in the US box art than the Japanese one.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV1Osnkr5Nc

New gameplay Trailer of Sonic Generations shows off Classic Sonic & Modern Sonic Gameplay.

http://de.sys-con.com/node/1797384
SEGA® America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd., today announced details of Sonic Generations™, the highly anticipated video game title in development to celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog’s 20th Anniversary. Delivering the definitive gaming experience for Sonic fans old and new, Sonic Generations™ sees Sonic the Hedgehog playable as both the much loved classic 1991 character, and the modern day video game hero he has become in this exciting new fast paced adventure. Sonic Generations™ will speed into stores for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system for Holiday 2011.

Set across three defining eras from 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog video game history, the instantly recognizable environments of Sonic Generations have been re-built in stunning HD and are now playable in both classic side scrolling 2D from 1991, as well as modern 3D style found in Sonic’s most recent adventures. Each incarnation of Sonic in Sonic Generations comes complete with his trademark special move, Spin Dash and Spin Attack for Classic Sonic, and the Homing Attack and Sonic Boost for Modern Sonic. An innovative new interactive menu system allows for complete immersion in Sonic’s universe with favorite characters and hidden treasures gradually being revealed throughout the game.

“Sonic Generations will certainly be a fitting celebration for Sonic’s 20th Anniversary,” commented David Corless, Global Brand Director for Sonic. “By having the classic 1991 Sonic that many fans know and love team up with his modern day incarnation, we are bringing back the nostalgia of the early days of Sonic and combining it with the innovation and stunning HD technology of the modern gaming era. Sonic Generations will bring to life the last twenty years of Sonic’s universe in a truly unique and imaginative way.”

Sonic’s universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power creates ‘time holes’ which pull him and his friends back through time. As a result, he encounters some surprises from his past history including Classic Sonic, Sonic as he was in 1991. Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic must defeat this strange new enemy, save their friends, and find out who really is behind this diabolical deed...

For more information about the game, please visit http://www.sega.com/sonicgenerations

For press assets, please visit the SEGA press site at http://www.sega-press.com.

About SEGA® of America, Inc.:

SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA of America’s Web site is located at http://www.sega.com

About SEGA® Europe Ltd.:

SEGA® Europe Ltd. is the European Distribution arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, and a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. SEGA Europe’s web site is located at http://www.sega.com

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

The game has a lot of potential and really excites me but that was a pretty bad trailer. The music and voices were awkwardly placed and played at different volumes.

Neo

Post by Neo »

First impressions and a bunch of screenshots at Joystiq.
Joystiq wrote:Longtime Sonic fans will be happy to hear that Sonic Team's Takashi Iizuka is heading up the producer responsibilities

Oh this game is in good hands.

Neo

Post by Neo »

God dammit how the fuck do they still get to me. I swear I kicked this stuff years ago, but somehow they always manage to lure me back in!

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I think it looks much better than Sonic Fan Remix, honestly.

And fuck all the whining about the miniscule intricacies of Classic Sonic's design, he looks cute.

Thoughts on level design etc. have to wait, of course.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Christ, I really need to get around to buying a Playstation.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Radrappy wrote:The game has a lot of potential and really excites me but that was a pretty bad trailer. The music and voices were awkwardly placed and played at different volumes.
I think what we saw in terms of gameplay looked pretty good, though; at least if you're okay with enjoying something that is not exactly what the Genesis games were. Sending Sonic flying through the center of a loop seems so obvious I'm surprised they haven't done it before. (Have they done it before?)

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Classic Sonic's physics look good! To me, at least. I mean, they're not glaringly off like Sonic 4's!

And what's with Classic's design jumping between wonky and adorable?
Blount wrote: Besides, if that was his shirt, where would his chin be?
Isn't classic Robotnik's lower jaw concealed/non-existent in pretty much everything?
Last edited by Dr. BUGMAN on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Gameplay Trailer

Looks nice. It looks like they finally got it right. Unfortunately, no PC version is a no-go for me.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Farmer wrote:Christ, I really need to get around to buying a Playstation.
it'll probably run better on xbox. Just sayin.
Locit wrote:
Radrappy wrote:The game has a lot of potential and really excites me but that was a pretty bad trailer. The music and voices were awkwardly placed and played at different volumes.
I think what we saw in terms of gameplay looked pretty good, though; at least if you're okay with enjoying something that is not exactly what the Genesis games were. Sending Sonic flying through the center of a loop seems so obvious I'm surprised they haven't done it before. (Have they done it before?)
No don't get me wrong, I think the gameplay shown looks solid. I just wish the editing on the trailer was better.

Oh also, doesn't this basically render Sonic 4 episode 2 completely useless?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

No, it makes Sonic 4 Episode 1 completely useless because that was just a mediocre rehash of existing zones from Sonic 1 and 2. The PR team is convinced that Episode 1 was just a warm-up for the original content to come, so it's still something to look forward to, I guess!

Neo

Post by Neo »

Locit wrote:Sending Sonic flying through the center of a loop seems so obvious I'm surprised they haven't done it before. (Have they done it before?)
Right before the end of Emerald Coast. Though the loop didn't really lead anywhere, it was just... there.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

You know, I was all prepared to hate this. I've been dreading the remake levels rumor being true since it started. I watched the trailer and... it doesn't actually look too bad. I guess I'm VERY cautiously optimistic at this stage but I still have a lot of doubts. It's difficult not to expect the worst when it comes to Sonic games these days.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Ok, that was very charming.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Sega finally found the perfect sidekick for Sonic: Sonic.