Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Crisis

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Crisis »

Radrappy wrote:I love drifting and sliding.
Isn't it just operant conditioning? You see the drift icon, you do the little drift sequence. You smack head first into one of those stupid walls, you hit the slide button. I guess drifting is at least visually interesting, but come on, sliding?? We already have a roll-into-a-ball mechanic for squeezing under things.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

K2J wrote:This looks interesting, but I agree that it very much looks like they're just doing this because the media perceived the character design as being the main complaint of Sonic 4.

The XBLA and PSN logos at the end make me think this might be downloadable.
Those are just generic online logos. There is no XBLA logo.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

You're right, my mistake.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Crisis wrote:
Radrappy wrote:I love drifting and sliding.
Isn't it just operant conditioning? You see the drift icon, you do the little drift sequence. You smack head first into one of those stupid walls, you hit the slide button. I guess drifting is at least visually interesting, but come on, sliding?? We already have a roll-into-a-ball mechanic for squeezing under things.
Drifting at its best wouldn't be limited to scripted portions. Colors was actually the first game to impose those on the player. Unleashed let you do it whenever, and it was an interesting way to shave off time. As for sliding, I'm not too much of a fan of the kind that stops you dead in your tracks, but there were a few instances in colors where it was cleverly built into the game design. Drifting seems like a natural way for sonic to operate in 3d space, which is why I welcome it.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Explain how sliding is needed when Sonic can roll. I am legitimately curious.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

oh, yeah whoops. I am 100% in favor of rolling replacing sliding. I was only defending the gimmick with regards to gameplay, not the actual movement. He should totally be rolling.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

You know, assuming his game has voice acting, they should totally get Jaleel White to voice classic-style Sonic.Yes I already know about the Eddie Lebron film, but this would have an even bigger impact for sure.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Rob-Bert wrote:You know, assuming his game has voice acting, they should totally get Jaleel White to voice classic-style Sonic.Yes I already know about the Eddie Lebron film, but this would have an even bigger impact for sure.
orgasm

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Malchik wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:You know, assuming his game has voice acting, they should totally get Jaleel White to voice classic-style Sonic.Yes I already know about the Eddie Lebron film, but this would have an even bigger impact for sure.
orgasm
Congratulations, you are the only type of people this game seems to appeal to so far.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I half expected Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic to exchange bewildered double-takes when they first saw each other. Because they didn't, I somehow feel disappointed.
Someone on Retro had a theory that it will play like Unleashed daytime stages, with modern Sonic in 3D, and switching to classic Sonic in 2D...
I'm all for this, as long as it's done as separate runs through the same level, instead of somehow automatically switching back and forth.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

FlashTHD wrote:Congratulations, you are the only type of people this game seems to appeal to so far.
dude. What do you want?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Maybe they will do double characters of everyone. That way we can have Robotnik and Eggman at the same time, plus double the fun.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:Congratulations, you are the only type of people this game seems to appeal to so far.
dude. What do you want?
For the closet fanboys to put a sock in it until there is footage of anything besides a CG cutscene that was released to troll people.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Yeah, NO ONE BE EXCITED. Pretty good advice really. I only wish it didn't come from such a dark place in your heart Flash.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Even if the game does suck, I'm just happy they at least thought to bring classic Sonic back. Maybe if they're smart enough (doubt it) they'll consider using him in more new games. Would be a good way to filter out all the stuff we don't like about the post-Sonic Adventure titles.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

FlashTHD wrote: Congratulations, you are the only type of people this game seems to appeal to so far.
Hey, shove it up your ass, Flash. No one on this board hates Sonic or Sega more then me. I haven't payed for a Sonic game since Heroes, and you guessed it, I won't be buying this game either. I just like the fact, for an instant, Sega may have come down from it's pillar to at least try and appease it's fans, you autistic monkey.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Classic Sonic looks a little odd from a side on view, but otherwise is fine. He looks very much like the Japanese/European Sonic 1 box art. Even limiting things to just the Japanese Sega artwork there have been a few variations to Sonic's design. In that old bilingual Sega art book they mention that Sonic's proportions were intentionally altered for Sonic 2, and that they gave further emphasis to his "saucy smartness" now that Tails was around to share the "cuteness".

It's the fact that they remembered to give him flesh toned eyelids that makes me think they really care.

I hope this isn't just limited to Sonic. I'm a big fan of the original Eggman design, and the short, fuzzy and almost infant looking Tails is much more appealing than post-Sonic Adventure versions.

CM August

Post by CM August »

It is a bit weird that there's seriously going to be two versions of Sonic in this game, even if continuity and plot are nonexistent. Unless the trailer just had them together for contrast.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Assuming both Sonics will be playable (otherwise why bother?) and that the differences will be more than just aesthetic, maybe Modern Sonic will have the homing attack and slide and Classic Sonic will have the spin dash?

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

K2J wrote:The XBLA and PSN logos at the end make me think this might be downloadable.
And that makes me think this might be exclusive to those platforms. Dammit.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

K2J wrote:The XBLA and PSN logos at the end make me think this might be downloadable.
They just put those logos up for anything that has some kind of online functionality on PS3 and Xbox. I don't think they'll have both the Sonic 4 episodes and this available for download.

How about instead of making Jaleel White voice classic Sonic, they keep Sonic silent? That's how he was in the games after all.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

It's nice to see the appearance of classic Sonic. Other than that not really much else to say at the moment. It's just another CG trailer with no gameplay. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the concept but can't really make a decent judgement until there's some gameplay videos.
gr4yJ4Y wrote:How about instead of making Jaleel White voice classic Sonic, they keep Sonic silent? That's how he was in the games after all.
Definitely. It would be far more interesting to keep classic Sonic as a silent protagonist.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Malchik wrote:Hey, shove it up your ass, Flash. No one on this board hates Sonic or Sega more then me. I haven't payed for a Sonic game since Heroes, and you guessed it, I won't be buying this game either. I just like the fact, for an instant, Sega may have come down from it's pillar to at least try and appease it's fans, you autistic monkey.
Well, you know, you could have clarified this up front.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Ugh. Please no. Jaleel was fine for AoStH-style Sonic, but I would hate to hear his nasally voice come out of classic Sonic.

I don't even want classic Sonic to talk at all. I want him to speak via his body language. Maybe have a cutscene where modern Sonic is making a wisecrack at Eggman, while classic Sonic stands in the background, making a "nyah nyah!" face.

Or maybe while Eggman goes on and on about his "master plan", classic Sonic folds his arms and rolls his eyes.
Malchik wrote:I won't be buying this game either.
..All that's been shown so far is a 50 second CGI video! At least wait until some gameplay footage is shown before reserving judgement.
K2J wrote:This looks interesting, but I agree that it very much looks like they're just doing this because the media perceived the character design as being the main complaint of Sonic 4
Sonic 4 came out last summer. This game comes out in 2011. If that were the case, it would mean this game has been in development for less than a year, not including the CGI cutscenes that would have to be animated.

I think the reason Sonic had green eyes in Sonic 4, was because SEGA was waiting for the 20th anniversary to bring classic Sonic back. If we had seen the return of old-school Sonic last year, then this teaser wouldn't have elicited such shock and anticipation from the Sonic community. SEGA did the right thing by waiting for this game to be the grand return of Sonic's retro design.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

That's what I said!

A silent Sonic could have its drawbacks; if modern Sonic's doing all the talking, classic Sonic could then very well be relegated to 'comedy sidekick'. Even the Mario approach (mostly silent, occasional catchphrases) would go down smoother, although I'm sure they want to keep the playing field level. Get Martin Burke on the phone!