Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Neo

Re:

Post by Neo »

Isuka wrote:Especially, there must be a way to combine SA2's high-speed action stages'... well, sense of unabashed speed when you really know what you're doing, with the hunting ones' sense of vastness.
I think you should definitely consider playing a fan game called Sonic Robo Blast 2. Apart from lacking ramp physics (and the ramps themselves), they have got the fast, yet open-ended gameplay down to a T.

Crisis

Re:

Post by Crisis »

Isuka wrote:I'm not sure if I get Crisis's point. I mean, not just the original one, but many Sonic games are quite colorful, with odd-shaped flora and blue skies and all that, and I don't deem them as pathetic attempts to impersonate anything.
I think the source of confusion is the "pathetic attempt" part. It's not that I don't think it would possible to make a spiritual successor to the aesthetics of the original trilogy, or that I think all other games that have tried it were failures. It's just this particular attempt that feels pathetic. It totally misses what made the early designs so magical (simplicity, bold but contained colour schemes, off-the-wall originality) and turned it into something almost generic. I feel a bit like this development team decides on a theme by throwing darts at a wall. There was, at least, something charmingly camp about seeing Sonic in Arabian Nights or King Arthur, but making a game about "Colour"? I get the impression they're desperately hoping we'll forget about Black Knight by making this game appear to be everything that BK wasn't. But I'm not convinced that the changes are more than skin-deep.

I would love to be proved wrong, though. It's still only 20 seconds of footage.

Someone asked why I felt the way I did about Black Knight - sadly, I haven't played it, so all I have to go on is an LP. But I did play Secret Rings, and that was an agonising experience. BK seemed fairly identical everywhere but the gameplay, which frankly could only have gone upwards. It's not a point I particularly want to labour on (although I am interested to hear that it didn't sell well). There were certainly things to like about Secret Rings, but that only adds to the confusion over why the reception between the two games were so radically different, when they appear so similar, at least from my viewpoint as an observer.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Re: Re:

Post by Locit »

Neo wrote:I think you should definitely consider playing a fan game called Sonic Robo Blast 2. Apart from lacking ramp physics (and the ramps themselves), they have got the fast, yet open-ended gameplay down to a T.
It's really just a Doom clone janked into third person, isn't it? Am I really missing anything here outside of a fps forced into servitude of a terrible looking Sonic fangame?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Locit wrote:
Neo wrote:I think you should definitely consider playing a fan game called Sonic Robo Blast 2. Apart from lacking ramp physics (and the ramps themselves), they have got the fast, yet open-ended gameplay down to a T.
It's really just a Doom clone janked into third person, isn't it? Am I really missing anything here outside of a fps forced into servitude of a terrible looking Sonic fangame?
You're missing out on a lot of fun nausea which always arises for me when I look at or play this game.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Locit wrote:
It's had a fanbase for over 10 years due to a reason.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Neo wrote:
Locit wrote:
It's had a fanbase for over 10 years due to a reason.
A fan base of hyper-sensitive kids, people with mental disorders, and fanatical Christians.

Alright fan game, though.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah, SRB2 has failed to impress me in the ~10 years of its existence or however long it's been around. Controls are too loose and I never thought the Doom engine was conducive to platforming.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Locit wrote:It's really just a Doom clone janked into third person, isn't it? Am I really missing anything here outside of a fps forced into servitude of a terrible looking Sonic fangame?
I'd love to hear where you get that impression.

It plays very nicely like a Sonic game even with the impossiblity of slope physics. If the controls are your problem, yeah, movement is touchy without WASD because there's no true analog (just digital in 8 directions, and a camera mode that fakes it), but there are official games that are worse, and you can use about any control configuration imaginable. Since version 2 the single player game has doubled in length, and regardless of how much you care for FPSes or even the 1P game itself, i'll tell you that once I started messing with the multiplayer I had trouble ripping myself away from it; freaking insane addictive.

Or lord, just watch this trailer.

tl;dr, you could play much worse!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Heh, what are podoboos doing here.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Kogen wrote:A fan base of hyper-sensitive kids, people with mental disorders, and fanatical Christians.
So what you're saying is that it's at least as good as the official Sonic games.

Might as well give it a shot, then!
Segaholic2 wrote:Controls are too loose
It's funny how people always seem to play the "FPS engine doesn't work for a platforming game" card but then don't consider trying to play it with FPS controls.

Slap some WASD+mouselook on it, you'll get the idea pretty quickly.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It's funny how I said that I didn't try playing it with FPS controls. Wait, I didn't say that at all. What the fuck did you think I did? The game sucks with any control scheme and FPS controls definitely do not work for platformers.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

All fangames suck. This one is no exception. I did enjoy messing around with it for a few weeks in high school, but even then I would never go as far as to say it was actually good. If you're going to invest so much time making something like a game, you could at least try to be creative and invent your own property. You'll have the rest of your life to make someone else's shit.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I think it's admirable how much effort went into SRB2. If they haven't already, then someone should definitely hire those guys that had the stamina to milk Doom's engine for all it's worth, because the level design is actually rather good.

Sadly, I hate Doom's engine with a fiery passion. I still had a lot of fun with SRB2, but the controls were balls enough that I don't think I feel the need to play it again. (Not that it matters, as the Macintosh client keeps crashing.)

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Neo wrote:
Kogen wrote:A fan base of hyper-sensitive kids, people with mental disorders, and fanatical Christians.
So what you're saying is that it's at least as good as the official Sonic games.

Might as well give it a shot, then!
I did play it along time ago. It is just when I joined the chat, I said 'penis', then I was banned forever!

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:All fangames suck. This one is no exception. I did enjoy messing around with it for a few weeks in high school, but even then I would never go as far as to say it was actually good. If you're going to invest so much time making something like a game, you could at least try to be creative and invent your own property. You'll have the rest of your life to make someone else's shit.
Insert "stop having fun!" XKCD comic here, except oops I better not because holic will ban me.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Back from it. It took me some time to realize I had to add the executable file to Windows' DEP exceptions in order for it to not fuck itself up.

First impression is... it's pretty good. I approached it with quite low expectations, sure, but their desire to translate the original formula into 3D almost verbatim really shows, and they have put some cool lighting effects and details here and there, too. It kinda feels like an early Saturn game. It has some very minor camera issues but it's generally functional and the zoom-out when building up speed is cool, and it's kind of ironic that Sonic Team's approach to 2K6's camera is so similar (generally dropping the dynamic camera angles for a low, constant behind-the-back one), I just wonder how to map it to the 360 controller's right stick. That, and enabling 3D hardware acceleration and some anti-aliasing.

It'd be really cool to see the stages get blown up to twice the size, add the missing physics and fill it with current generation eye candy, for sure. As they stand, they can feel barren and disorienting at times.

And the invincibility jingle is sweet.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Re:

Post by FlashTHD »

Isuka wrote:I just wonder how to map it to the 360 controller's right stick. That, and enabling 3D hardware acceleration and some anti-aliasing.

It'd be really cool to see the stages get blown up to twice the size, add the missing physics and fill it with current generation eye candy, for sure. As they stand, they can feel barren and disorienting at times.
To map the rotate camera buttons to a thumbstick, you'll probably need to install this driver overtop of Microsoft's default one, which lets you turn the right stick into an input that SRB2 recognizes (and do a bunch of other cool shit with the controller - just remember the first link is the wireless pad, second one is wired). There's only a few actions that can be set to an analog axis and that's on a seperate menu. I just use the bumpers to rotate it... actually, the manual rotation is a bit slow and cumbersome by default. But you can hit ~ during the game and type "cam_rotspeed 15" (the default value is 10) or higher to fix that, or throw it in an autoexec.cfg.

As for aliasing, 2.0.6 re-included OpenGL, but it's not officially supported anymore and won't be for a long time because it causes all manner of graphics/crash glitches. I got used to software mode after a little while anyway.

Proper slopes just ain't gonna happen. The entire thing would have to be reprogrammed inside-out to make it functional, which falls under "way the hell too much work".

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Considering the game has been in development for 12 years, (or at least 8, for the current version?) I don't think anything falls under "way the hell too much work" anymore. They could try modding a game that isn't almost 20 years old and already has slopes included, for instance. I am inclined to agree with Rappy on general principle but I can still respect the passion that that goes into these things, but geez--it started 12 years ago. Start a new project, for cryin' out loud.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

You could make slopes and gravity and ice physics for years in ZDoom. I've made Doom maps where I simply made an inclined plane and adjusted the gravity to add a feel of momentum.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So was the Doom engine chosen 'cause the Doomguy runs at like 90 mph?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

G.Silver wrote:Considering the game has been in development for 12 years, (or at least 8, for the current version?) I don't think anything falls under "way the hell too much work" anymore. They could try modding a game that isn't almost 20 years old and already has slopes included, for instance. I am inclined to agree with Rappy on general principle but I can still respect the passion that that goes into these things, but geez--it started 12 years ago. Start a new project, for cryin' out loud.
To accomplish what? Slopes? SRB2 is fine without them and is designed around not having them. The game is it what it is. They won't switch engines because they have no incentive whatsoever to do so, especially not with the 1P game now at or over half complete and an extremely popular multiplayer aspect going. If y'all still refuse to believe me then i'm just going to let this thread do the talking.

To be blunt, if you're not even sure what version the game is on or how long it's been at work, then I don't think you need to be questioning what is and isn't worth the effort.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:So was the Doom engine chosen 'cause the Doomguy runs at like 90 mph?
Yes, exactly. But using technology that has a huge mod fan-base was a seller too.

Neo

Re:

Post by Neo »

Isuka wrote:
Neo wrote:It'd be really cool to see the stages get blown up to twice the size
If you mean "size" as in length, the later stages do just that. If you mean "size" as in the general scale of the levels relative to the player, they get bigger, but not as much as they get longer.

It helps to know that the first six acts were made god knows how many years ago, so when you get to act 7 (Deep Sea Zone 1) the difference in stage length and detail is almost absurd.

Neo

Post by Neo »

God, what is it with the edit limit? Now I can't go back and fix that stupid mistake.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Neo wrote:God, what is it with the edit limit? Now I can't go back and fix that stupid mistake.
If only that green monkey character didn't pull dat nazi horse shit on us... i don'teven

...wait, ah, was there an attempt at a penis joke in your post?