Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Crisis

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Crisis »

Not that I'm particularly interested in this pissing match, but the precision jumping sequence in City Escape took me about 5 minutes to master, setting me in good stead for the rest of the game. I'm about 2 hours into Colours with precision platforming in every stage, and I still find Sonic ridiculously hard to control.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Sonic is too floaty because he is in space.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I just remembered that those anti-gravity drums in Final Chase do fuck up your controls and, due to being an outer space stage, may result in unfair deaths. There are also control issues due to gravity shifting in some parts of Mad Space, namely the capsule-like planet.
Radrappy wrote:Which is fine, except in this case to play the game "well" you are more or less coming up with a checklist of things that won't result in a cheap deaths. As in, "don't fucking touch a button or you will break the game when you go in a loop de loop"stuff.
Could it be that you're thinking of Metal Harbor here? You can jump out of the big loop-de-loops to save time, but you have to do it in a specific way: right after the paths cross, you've to do a small jump and move right to land on the loop's end, the momentum you have is enough to propel you just high enough to safely reach it. If you do it too late you'll go far up into the air and may still be able to land on safe ground, but the camera will get stuck behind the loop-de-loop and you won't be able to see where the hell you are landing, and since the docks are so narrow, chances are you'll fall to your doom.
Radrappy wrote:Do you remember how hard that one platforming sequence in City Escape was(the first bottomless pit in the game had you jumping over these orange columns)? It was way easier to just homing attack your way over everything because precise jumping and trejectory planning were nearly impossible. And that's without the goddamn camera spinning all over creation anytime you jumped.
Uh? You mean the standard, non-5th mission first bottomless pit?

I just replayed it to be sure, and there's absolutely no problem with it. I can get the item box in mid-air without using a homing attack and then land back on the moving columns, too. I mean, even if you go and rotate the camera, it'll zip back to the default angle, so there's just the one way to plan your trajectory... I don't know, Rad. Maybe you were too used to the first Adventure's jumping physics to quickly readjust to the second one's? But even then, they aren't that different, everything moves a bit faster in Adventure 2 due to the increase in frame rate and, consequently, shortening in the controls' response time, but other than that they're nearly identical.

Or maybe you didn't expect that kind of challenge from the game's very first stage? Hilariously, I've almost developed a phobia to a certain part in Adventure 1's Emerald Coast, the one right before the killer whale chase, where you run through a slightly curved corridor that's so narrow, the game sometimes glitches and kicks you out of it, making you fall and die. It was the first time I played it and everything was too sudden and random to take in.
FlashTHD wrote:Then again, I think you were the guy who once told me they thought switching rails was performed by some incredibly byzantine cycle of button-shuffling.
I still have some trouble switching rails and getting off them correctly in some parts of Final Rush and Sky Rail when the camera isn't right behind me, could it be that the direction I have to move the analog thumb pad in is relative to the camera angle instead of the character's relative position to the rails? Or, regarding getting off them, maybe it has to do with me unconsciously tilting the thumb pad when I want to jump out of the rail, therefore the game assumes I want to switch to a rail that doesn't exist, resulting in bottomless demise.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Isuka wrote:Uh? You mean the standard, non-5th mission first bottomless pit?

I just replayed it to be sure, and there's absolutely no problem with it. I can get the item box in mid-air without using a homing attack and then land back on the moving columns, too. I mean, even if you go and rotate the camera, it'll zip back to the default angle, so there's just the one way to plan your trajectory... I don't know, Rad. Maybe you were too used to the first Adventure's jumping physics to quickly readjust to the second one's? But even then, they aren't that different, everything moves a bit faster in Adventure 2 due to the increase in frame rate and, consequently, shortening in the controls' response time, but other than that they're nearly identical.
Looks like I was mistaken, I meant this segment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCs42XSwI-c#t=0h1m22s if you don't go up this ramp there is a platforming section to the right.
Crisis wrote:I'm about 2 hours into Colours with precision platforming in every stage, and I still find Sonic ridiculously hard to control.
Man, really? To me this is the best sonic's controlled since SA1. It's a little tricky to get used to initially because the physics are different from what we're used to. He actually handles a lot more like mario in colors which can't be a bad thing.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Radrappy wrote:It's a little tricky to get used to initially because the physics are different from what we're used to.
Could be. SA2 has the dual advantage of being a direct sequel and being released before Colours. But if so, it's quite frustrating how long it's taking me to adjust, and I'm not entirely convinced that's my fault.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

If anyone else was waiting to snag this on the cheap, Amazon's got it for $20 for the time being.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I got to play Wii Colors over at my friend's house a week ago.

It plays all right and is a fun game. The claims that it's graphically comparable to PS360 Unleashed are ludicrous, though, it looks really good for a Wii game but the lighting is very basic, and it's locked at 30 fps, which looks considerably rough after you played stuff like the Super Mario Galaxy games. Both 3D and 2D controls are loose (of course, since they share the same engine and whatnot) but responsive, the control setup is quite counterintuitive (played with a GameCube controller, couldn't get used to "wisping" with the Z button and quick-stepping with the control stick), stages are pretty varied and... well, "fair" I guess, neither cheap (even with the navigator turned off) nor a walk in the park, except for the first couple stages which are mostly snoozers.

So I'm ambivalent towards the game. That's it. Good night.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Sonic Recolors

Post by K2J »

Not sure how accurate this is, but a certain site is leaking details on the WiiU sequel. I'm sure everyone's going to be happy when they see it.

I'm calling fake due to "Sega is allegedly working directly with some Nintendo developers on this game". I really doubt that.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Given that we got the stupid Werehog leak like over a year before Unleashed shipped, and that Nintendo and SEGA have "worked" together on Smash Bros and Sonic and Mario (and that the Wii U sounds like a bitch to develop for), I don't find any of this hard to believe.

Also, I was quite right that SEGA discovered that the best sidekick for Sonic is simply more Sonics.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeah... considering the early leaks about Unleashed and Generations were true, there's certainly no reason this one couldn't be, too. Especially since, well, it just kind of sounds like something they'd make. Especially as a follow-up project to Colours. We'll see, I guess!

A long time ago, when I had a lot more free time on my hands, I actually tried to make a fangame that had basically had the same plot as this. The only difference was that it was a Tails game, and the seven differently-coloured, elementally powered, personality-fractured Super Sonics were the boss fights. Normally I'd make a joke about Sega cranking out new titles that sound like "lame fangame ideas", but... you know... it was my fangame idea, so obviously it was awesome.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Way back before even Sonic 2 even came out, EGM ran a rumor article where Quarterman claimed that a Sonic arcade game was in the works featuring "multiple colored Sonics." Whoever reported it might have just seen Mighty and Ray and been confused, but suffice to say, the idea is older than dirt. 1992 dirt anyway.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

The concept is certainly not the most far-fetched thing Sega has put Sonic through, so I'd see this as a likely possibility.

I wonder what kind of WiiU functionality this will have and how optional it will be.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Dude, last levels are SUPOSED TO BE HARD. And besides, if you start conplaining about a level being hard, why are you even playing the game? One thing is if a level is hard because of bad programing (In the 1998 Sonic Adventure, I always triggered a glich and it was really anoying, thankfully that did not happen to me in International) but I played that space level,all is needed is a bit of memory and good timming.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

...There's a discussion about last levels and difficulty?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

The White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times. Using it guarantees the lowest rank at the end.
Stealing innovations from a recent Mario game? Rumor confirmed.

The concept actually sounds like it has a lot of potential. The story sounds fun too, though if it's scripted by the same writers that did Colors it'll probably be too corny.