Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by K2J »

So a space-themed Sonic platformer was announced by Sega of Italy for the Wii and DS. Dubbed "Sonic Colours", it features cheery alien creatures that open new paths for Sonic and Tails (!) as they run across planets. Also, Dr. Robotnik seems to be after the Unobtainum, you've gotta stop him.

Teaser

NeoGAF translation of the press release

I'm guessing, due to it only being announced on the Nintendo systems, that it'll be using the Secret Rings / Black Knight engine.

Yami CJMErl

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Kotaku wrote:Sonic Colors sees our blue hedgehog hero speeding through theme-park inspired worlds as he attempts to free the colorful alien Wisps from the clutches of the evil Dr. Eggman. Eggman has imprisoned the energy-filled aliens in an amusement park in orbit around the planet, and Sonic has to make use of the aliens' unique powers to help them escape enslavement.

Using the aliens' color energy, Sonic will be able to create new paths through the game's levels. Yellow energy will let Sonic drill through the ground, for instance, while cyan turns Sonic into a laser, shooting through obstacles as if they weren't even there.
Um...

...okay? =/

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Where have I heard that melody before? Sonic Rivals 2? Sonic 4?

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I'm interested in the DS version.

I at least like the sound of the gameplay concepts in theory.
The alien Wisps featured in the game each have a unique “Color Power” that, once freed, Sonic is able to absorb while speeding through the various theme park inspired planets. The Wisp energy enables Sonic to create new paths through the stages by drilling through the ground (Yellow Drill) for example, or speeding through the stage as a laser (Cyan Laser).
Of course, in practice it wont work.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I actually once had an idea that was similar to this.

At least this particular idea sounds Sonic-y enough. Certainly it makes more sense for Sonic to go into space and help aliens than it does for him to wield a sword or turn into a monster, right?

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

This is the strangest concept for a sonic game I've seen so far. However it will likely play into what I said earlier about Sega giving up. I'm expecting the plot to be something like this: Dr.Eggman imprisons forgettable neon colored space jellyfish things and sets out to turn planets with cliché themes into one large theme park for reasons that are never explained. The neon jellyfish things will likely be similar to the star child things from super Mario galaxy.

We are guaranteed to see this at E3 and I have a bad feeling that "Sonic Colors" will have obvious similarities to Super Mario Galaxy.

Postscript: hopefully that name is not final.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Well, shameless cashing in on Avatar and Mario Galaxy simultaneously notwithstanding, i'm not immedeately offended/annoyed, which is an improvement from the last 3-5 releases. There seems to be a Flickies' Island air about whatever this is.

So now let's watch them ruin it! How fucked up will the analog sensitivity be this time? Backwards perhaps?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The alien blobs looks like they've been transplanted here from Meteos.

I have no real opinion on this title except, at least it looks colorful.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Coming Holiday 2010? Christ. Just how long have they been working on this?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

So far it sounds good, but of course video footage will show up eventually and we can all boo and hiss then.

The concept of Sonic having transforming powers (similar to Mario Galaxy's "suite" mushrooms) has been brought up here before and sounds like it could work. But the press release says that we can increase the boost meter by chaining them together. Sounds interesting...

Looks like it's more of the Rush/Unleashed variety, which I'm okay with.

Oh and Tails is a main character!?! Do you control both Sonic and Tails at once? Is Tails just there for when a second player wants to join in when they want to (a la Sonic 2)? Guess I'll have to wait to find out.

Also, hi there!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've always liked a good "bizarre theme park" setting, and I like the idea of the different little pod guys giving Sonic abilities (drilling is used as one example) that open up different routes.

But I'm worried this is going to be another on-rails game from the storybook team. (Ugh!) Also that can't POSSIBLY be the real name for the game, right?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

CM August wrote:Coming Holiday 2010? Christ. Just how long have they been working on this?
One or two months I presume.
(Ho ho ho.)

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

it's quite unexpected, but idk what to think yet
Last edited by RocketPunch on Wed May 26, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I sort of like the sound of this because feels like the first title in ages which is neither being billed as a "return to Sonic's roots" nor has an obviously bad premise (such as Sonic with a sword).

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

Crowbar wrote:I sort of like the sound of this because feels like the first title in ages which is neither being billed as a "return to Sonic's roots" nor has an obviously bad premise (such as Sonic with a sword).
YES. i had a strange feeling when i saw this, and what you said pretty much sums it up.

i guess i forgot what it's like to NOT dismiss a Sonic game right after seeing the trailer

Blount

Post by Blount »

Using the aliens' color energy, Sonic will be able to create new paths through the game's levels.
Sounds like Sonic Heroes 2 to me.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

....Sega of Italy?

I somehow have a good feeling about this, the premise sounds just about funky and ludicrous enough. Laser beam can never be more embarrassing of a transformation than the werehedgehumanhog was. (At least not on paper.)

Still, riding the Galaxy 2 train, I don't think it'll get very far unless it's really, really good - the standards have been set pretty high right now.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

sounds shit

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Popcorn wrote:sounds shit
Pretty much

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I think I'm actually looking forward to this more than Sonic 4 now, in concept anyway. That could easily change once I see gameplay, and I'm not really expecting much from it anyway especially if it's like Secret Rings or Black Knight.

I wonder if the Wii and DS versions are by the same team?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Nice art direction, anyhow!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Uh oh! It's cropped off here, but that big image Esrever linked has two sides, and it says "back on track" and "no gimmick necessary." We all know what that means...

Neo

Post by Neo »

I think each and every one of you are idiots. Both the ones who are already dismissing the game and the ones who have already had sex with the trailer 30 times.

I like how it feels and how it is presented, I loathe the stupid title, but I still haven't seen any "game" yet, and neither have you.