Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I'm going to do what Radrappy hates and judge a game based upon viewed footage. I know that's not the best thing to do, but I really don't expect to play this game in the near future.

More specifically, I don't really share the enthusiasm that's going around on Sonic Retro. The longer acts seem okay, but don't really have the branching paths that some claim. It's more like Unleashed's approach to level design, in that you can go through hoops, or you can platform along the ground, and either way you'll arrive at the same point fifteen seconds later. The large, vertically-oriented levels sometimes avoid this, but don't seem to offer the truly free exploration I really crave. The stages are still obstacle courses above all else.

Another thing: The levels, while absolutely beautiful in all cases, feel samey after 6 acts. Planet Wisp is always that same mixture of idyllic river valleys and Eggman's invasive red structures. Where's the diversity within the levels themselves? What about an act that takes place entirely within Planet Wisp's natural environment, while subsequent levels introduce more and more of Eggman's influence until it's overwhelming? Sonic Adventure had that sense of progression in the action stages themselves. The thing is, I realize that Planet Wisp is really the only level where this transition seems realistically possible. Granted, the other level's themes are unique and awesome, but they don't really lead themselves to much variation. Once you've seen one giant foodstuff or asteroid-laced roller coaster, you've seen 'em all.

The shorter levels all seem to be based off of one or a few gimmicks, which I hate on principle because previous good Sonic games maintained established gimmicks introduced in previous acts to make level design more creative as additional gimmicks were added in. Sonic 4 deliberately avoids this, and I think it's level design suffers as a result. I fear Sonic Colors may have the same effect. And, as others pointed out, Sonic's not really a speedster anymore in the 2D plane, but is built more around maneuvering obstacles. And even at this, it seems Sonic is no where near as graceful as he used to be.

Don't get me wrong: Sonic Colors seems like a fun game in it's own right, and it's probably the best Sonic fare we've received in years. But I wouldn't compare it to the Genesis games, both because Sonic Colors seems to be a different animal, and also because I don't believe I'd enjoy it as much.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

It is obviously a different animal, I am sure you wouldn't enjoy it as much.

It's still retarded to near enough review a game through watching videos though.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

It has level design like Sonic 4? So you will only see cannons in one level and there will be 7000 of them?

That is fun and just like the Genesis games. Actually that is better as I hate logic or anything of quality.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

MAJOR FINAL BOSS SPOILERS

For once, Sega decided not to do the overused "Super Sonic vs. Giant Monster" for the final boss. For the first time in a 3D Sonic game, Eggman is the final boss and you fight him as normal Sonic! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqCs7cXdw9M

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

This is rapidly turning into the kind of game I really want to try out, but my conscience won't let me pay money for. Bear in mind that Sonic 06 falls into the same category. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

That boss looked awful. It just seems like an edit of the Unleashed bosses.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I haven't watched any of the full walkthroughs. I know they may warn me of things that are going to annoy me, but I want at least some of the game to still be a surprise when I get it.

But I did download the soundtrack! Did anyone else? It's really interesting because... just listening to it, I'd swear they hauled out a different previous Sonic Team composers for almost every stage. You can pick out the Senoue tracks pretty easily (hello Asteroid Coaster), but there's also a few that I think are pretty obviously Tokoi, a few that are Kobayashi, and a few that I think might be Ohtani. And of course, Planet Wisp is very NiGHTs-esque, and there are few (like the Sweet Mountain map) that seem very Billy Hatcher-y. I'd love to see a definitive list of who was responsible for each track.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Esrever wrote:I haven't watched any of the full walkthroughs. I know they may warn me of things that are going to annoy me, but I want at least some of the game to still be a surprise when I get it.

But I did download the soundtrack! Did anyone else? It's really interesting because... just listening to it, I'd swear they hauled out a different previous Sonic Team composers for almost every stage. You can pick out the Senoue tracks pretty easily (hello Asteroid Coaster), but there's also a few that I think are pretty obviously Tokoi, a few that are Kobayashi, and a few that I think might be Ohtani. And of course, Planet Wisp is very NiGHTs-esque, and there are few (like the Sweet Mountain map) that seem very Billy Hatcher-y. I'd love to see a definitive list of who was responsible for each track.
Producer:
Kenichi Tokoi (PSU Composer)

Composers:
Tomoya Ohtani
Fumie Kumatani (PSU Composer)
Mariko Nanba
Naofumi Hataya
Hideaki Kobayashi (PSU Composer)

After seeing all this game's cutscenes... it really reminds of AoSth. And I love AoSth. I love how this game is like a long episode of AoSth. Sonic's a smart ass, Tails acts like the little helpful bro, Robotnik's two henchmen are idiots, and Robotnik himself is probably the most goofy ever. Heck the plot seems like something from AoSth as well. Did Sonic Team get DVDs of that series finally or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjzrPTXW ... er&list=UL
Last edited by Edgerock on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

You actually know their names? Wow! All I noticed was how universally bland it was, just like Unleashed and Sonic 06. Some of it was actually quite annoying with the drums that sounded similar to the Sonic Heroes theme (like the water level's alternatives acts).

Overall I would say the map tracks sound the best, but no one is going to really listen to them by waiting at the maps.

Also Sonic can swim now. Maybe in the next game he gets mushroom power-ups, as he is looking a little small lately!

About the script: did not they get the Madworld writer to do it? I never played that, but they seem more focused on actual comedy.
Last edited by Kogen on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Kogen wrote:You actually know their names? Wow! All I noticed was how universally bland it was, just like Unleashed and Sonic 06. Some of it was actually quite annoying with the drums that sounded similar to the Sonic Heroes theme (like the water level's alternatives acts).

Overall I would say the map tracks sound the best, but no one is going to really listen to them by waiting at the maps.

Also Sonic can swim now. Maybe in the next game he gets msuhrom power-ups, as he is looking a little small lately!
What about the Planet Wisp tracks or Aquarium Park tracks?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Act 1 and 3 of Aquarium Park annoy the shite out of me and the other two are just alright. That is not really impressive.

Planet Wisp Act 1 sounds good, but again the other two tracks are annoying.

All of the 8-bit versions for the Sonic Simulator also feel like a wasted opportunity. Why are these not done like Genesis music? Did we really want weird MSX versions of Sonic music for that 'retro feel' ?

I am also going to whine about why we need to beat the simulator to get Super Sonic. Why waste time on this garbage mode when they could have just did special stages?

Also the music if this was not posted: http://www.brawlcustommusic.com/game/395

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

About the script: did not they get the Madworld writer to do it? I never played that, but they seem more focused on actual comedy.
The MadWorld writers did come up with this game's script. They also worked on Happy Tree Friend shorts.
I am also going to whine about why we need to beat the simulator to get Super Sonic. Why waste time on this garbage mode when they could have just did special stages?
Dunno. Maybe after Heroes they thought just plain sucked at making Special Stages for the 3D games. At least Super Sonic is finally playable in a 3D game in levels.

Judging from some screens for the DS version of Sonic Colors, a LOT of the expanded Sonic cast members show up as NPCs. In particular:

Charmy, Silver, Blaze, Rouge, Cream, Cheese, Big, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Omega have been spotted.

Spoilers

It doesn't look like any of the expanded cast is playable outside of Sonic and this is a good thing because it confirms what Sega said from the get-go about Sonic Colors DS being its own game and serving to flesh out the overall story of Sonic Colors Wii. Sonic Colors Wii is strictly Sonic, Eggman, and Tails, so my guess is that Sonic Colors DS fleshes out the story to show the expanded Sonic cast without them bogging it down for forced story and uninteresting gameplay variants. Sega's taking the Rush Adventure storytelling approach (which means the cutscenes are skippable) for Colors DS.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

We really need Silver and Charmy in there.

Seeing that actually makes me like the DS version a whole lot less now. I had no problem with expanding the cast for the story, but putting in everything is bound to be a mess, especially when half of it was retarded to begin with.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

That expanded cast has kind of spoiled the DS version a bit.

I'd been happy to think that Sonic 2k6's plot as a whole had been completely and utterly written out, as in, Silver doesn't exist, full stop. Seeing him in other titles is just flat out gay as hell.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

But what about that tornado?!

I had assumed both Silver and Blaze were in an alternative reality, so this really does not make much sense for expanding the story. In addition, why is it all so generic? Every line there is something already done.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I like how Knuckles has become an ancillary character on the same level as Busty Bat, Original Character and Even More Original Character. Is he even in this parade of freaks?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The vibe I get from Colours' soundtrack (and enjoy) is that it was a deliberate stylistic anthology, with songs that evoke everything from Adventure to Adventure 2 to Heroes to Unleashed. But I guess if I hated all that music, I'd hate this too! The Colours theme is still pretty balls, though.

I really hate Silver, especially his character design, but there is something kind of amusing about him being reduced to this whiny side character who constantly talks about the future while no one takes him seriously.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

You must be bonkers if you don't at least like Sweet Mountain's music.

Also it is hardly strange for someone on a fanatical Sonic/Sega forum to know the names of most of those composers: many of them have been associated with the series for around 10 years and are basically staples by now (Noafumi Hataya worked with Masafumi Ogata on the soundtrack for Sonic CD, for crying out loud!).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Kogen has read and posted in a zillion threads where we've discussed the work of those composers. I think he just thinks there's some sort of prize for feigned indifference.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

He's either physically incapable of liking anything about any new Sonic game or is just determined to hate it.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Y'know I saw bits of the cutscenes before, and the dialogue seemed pretty awful, but after watching some scenes in full I'm pretty all right with it. That "BBBE" line, horrible as it was, had the proper reaction in both Sonic's VA and Tails' animation(realizing that it was corny and moving along). Still pretty odd to hear such a deep voice out of Sonic though.

I watched the Gametrailers review, as I usually trust them. They were pretty darn harsh on it, and it was kinda nice to hear proper complaints about the
Unleashed-style speed stage gameplay, as everyone just complained about the werehog junk too much to care before. Considering I got used to the odd quirks and had a good time with Unleashed anyway, I think I'll enjoy this game once I pick it up. As long as there's no freaking Eggmanland.

Speaking of Silver, I tried drawing him before just for kicks. My god what an awkward design. I'll bet the Sonic Team animators cuss out Uekawa something fierce.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's really attrocious. The absolute worst in "slap some stuff on" fan-character style design.

But wait... Senoue wasn't involved in the score? Huh! I guess Asteroid Coaster must have been Kumatani, then! I assumed Terminal Velocity was him (what with all the horn flares), but I was so sure Coaster had to be Senoue... shows what I know!

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

All the characters in the DS version and their voices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvjLf21n9no

Voices in order - Thanks to ASC9000:

Sonic
Tails
Yackers
Eggman
Cubot
Orbot
Knuckles
Shadow
Blaze
Amy
Silver
Cream
Big
Espio
Charmy
Vector
Chao
Rouge
Omega
Wisp

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Oh hey, they made Omega's voice not completely suck anymore! And Big actually sounds the least retarded he's ever sounded.

I'll also admit that I actually chuckled at some of the Wisp sounds. Much better than the goddamn Chao.