Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Kogen »

Blount

Post by Blount »

Kogen wrote:How does the seemingly annoying 'THUMP THUMP THUMP' music sound when you use a wisp power? I saw a video of it and it seemed awful.
Each Wisp has its own music. I'm guessing you're referring to the Yellow Wisp. Others don't sound quite as bad.
K2J wrote:Wait, there's no tricks? Huh. Did that mean you used the boost less often?
Yes. This automatically makes it far less annoying than the Sonic Rush games. The level design in the demo isn't bad at all, with a good selection of optional paths and no bottomless pits apart from one near the end. The only way to fall into it is missing the boring paragliding sequence Dimps keeps putting in these games, but even then, the Red Wisp's got you covered. I doubt every other level is going to hold the same level of quality, though.

As for the new voice actors, they're alright, but I couldn't care less about the whole thing. As long as Sonic doesn't repeat the same thing 300 times when I'm playing, it's all good.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Sonic''s new voice is so "off" it makes me laugh. (He sounds like a Ninja Turtle)

Tails voice is better than his 4Kids one, but still a bit too "cutesy"

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Kogen wrote:Not lisp! It's Wisp, with a 'W'. Also salad pants!

IM JUST GUNNA CALL THEM ALIENS KIDS HUHUHUHUH

My point was that none of this is interesting or funny.
This is such an utterly misguided complaint. SEGA have openly advertised this game as "the one for kids" (even if it will ultimately end up pleasing older fans more than Sonic 4) and so to that end they're channelling a Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe. Assuming that you're past your early teens, this is not a vibe that will ever seem "interesting" or "funny" to you unless you're willing to regress to the mindset you had when SatAM's melodrama was the highlight of your weekend. And I don't mean "regress" with any negative connotation, either; There's nothing wrong with being able to turn off your brain and enjoy something with the same indomitable enthusiasm you had when you were young. I can see where the enjoyment in that cutscene comes from as clearly as I can see why I enjoyed Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog as a child, as patronising as that show's humour might seem to me now.

If you're conceited enough to think that your own personal engagement with a narrative constructed for children is a true barometer of its quality, then you may as well give up any hope of enjoying another Sonic game ever again. Sonic games were made for kids back when we were kids, and they're still made for kids now that we are not. If you can't accept that there might be some elements that don't appeal to whatever demographic you now belong to - cheesy humour and fourth-wall breaking, for example - then at least don't pretend that your own disengagement means that the content is objectively bad. It doesn't.

Although it is encouraging that the negative nellies are having to fall back on retarded complaints like "its in space and mario galaxy invented games being in space" and "this children's story sucks because children enjoy it and i don't", rather than anything that might actually effect how much fun one can have while playing the game.

CM August

Post by CM August »

You have to admire the PR guy with this game. By now repeatedly stating that this Sonic title is 'for kids' (just who the hell were the other games for?) there's now a whole lot of arguing about what sort of criticism is merited at all. Sure, the it's-a-blue-cartoon-hedgehog-what-do-you-expect defence has always been around, but I think this is the first time Sega's caught on. Just whip it out and voila, you now have a whole bunch of fans kicking their own asses. I don't really hate what I've seen of the game, but frankly at the moment the reactions to it are more interesting.

Oh, and SatAM was not melodrama. Given that it was just used to strawman 'negative nellies' though, I guess that's beside the point, isn't it?

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

CM August wrote:Sure, the it's-a-blue-cartoon-hedgehog-what-do-you-expect defence has always been around
And that argument has always been stupid. But there's a difference between "bad" and "not for me", and I certainly don't think you can say that the cutscene is objectively bad just because the humour channels saturday morning cartoon vibes that you no longer find entertaining.

And yeah, my use of the word melodrama is entirely beside any point I was making. Good catch!

CM August

Post by CM August »

People have ragged on the scene not because it's meant to be cartoonish, but because Sega's attempt at it is weak. Some good points have been made about the animations, timing, lip sync etc., which are are more than just personal preference. Blowing that off as the whining from old-timers who can't enjoy stuff like Looney Tunes anymore is the kind of thing I was just talking about.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Hybrid wrote:
Kogen wrote:Not lisp! It's Wisp, with a 'W'. Also salad pants!

IM JUST GUNNA CALL THEM ALIENS KIDS HUHUHUHUH

My point was that none of this is interesting or funny.
This is such an utterly misguided complaint. SEGA have openly advertised this game as "the one for kids" (even if it will ultimately end up pleasing older fans more than Sonic 4) and so to that end they're channelling a Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe. Assuming that you're past your early teens, this is not a vibe that will ever seem "interesting" or "funny" to you unless you're willing to regress to the mindset you had when SatAM's melodrama was the highlight of your weekend. And I don't mean "regress" with any negative connotation, either; There's nothing wrong with being able to turn off your brain and enjoy something with the same indomitable enthusiasm you had when you were young. I can see where the enjoyment in that cutscene comes from as clearly as I can see why I enjoyed Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog as a child, as patronising as that show's humour might seem to me now.

If you're conceited enough to think that your own personal engagement with a narrative constructed for children is a true barometer of its quality, then you may as well give up any hope of enjoying another Sonic game ever again. Sonic games were made for kids back when we were kids, and they're still made for kids now that we are not. If you can't accept that there might be some elements that don't appeal to whatever demographic you now belong to - cheesy humour and fourth-wall breaking, for example - then at least don't pretend that your own disengagement means that the content is objectively bad. It doesn't.

Although it is encouraging that the negative nellies are having to fall back on retarded complaints like "its in space and mario galaxy invented games being in space" and "this children's story sucks because children enjoy it and i don't", rather than anything that might actually effect how much fun one can have while playing the game.
I thought SatAM was queer when I was 5 just as I do now. I have never enjoyed this garbage at all and my opinion on it has not really changed for nearly two decades. Saying I have to regress into some sort of child's mind is not valid.

I was specifically mentioning that I wanted the game to seem more 'goofy' or similar to the OVA concerning cartoons. I am complaining that the game is not cartoony enough in addition to having poor quality writing/expression.

And if anything, children are stupid and I know more about what they like than they do.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

In other words, you're a douche and you just hate everything on principal. Good job.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

So because he thought something was retarded at a young age he just hates everything? Right. I thought Scooby Doo was retarded when I was a kid, believe it or not, young people can actually make value judgements about things.

"It's for kids" does not mean "It can be completely terrible". And adults have to actually make this stuff anyway, you know, so it makes no sense to say that an adult cannot make value judgements about it.

Kogen, simply put, thinks it is too retarded even for children.

Also I like how you actually seem to think that "Saturday morning cartoon" implies anything good.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Kogen wrote:I thought SatAM was queer when I was 5 just as I do now. I have never enjoyed this garbage at all and my opinion on it has not really changed for nearly two decades. Saying I have to regress into some sort of child's mind is not valid.
If you never enjoyed saturday morning cartoons then you're not going to enjoy something that is trying to be like saturday morning cartoons. Don't confuse "I don't like it" as being an indicator of quality.
CM August wrote:Some good points have been made about the animations, timing, lip sync etc., which are are more than just personal preference. Blowing that off as the whining from old-timers who can't enjoy stuff like Looney Tunes anymore is the kind of thing I was just talking about.
... These are legitimate complaints, so it sure is a good thing that I have not tried to discount them in any of my posts so far, isn't it! You should re-read my previous posts and identify the one (singular!) complaint I took exception to - "i don't find children's jokes funny" - so you can avoid making these empty strawmen in the future.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

When I wrote SatAM I meant specifically the Sonic cartoon people refer to as SatAM, not everything. I liked the one prior to it without all the weird furry/serious stuff.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

The problem here is that they are even trying to capture that cheesy Saturday morning cartoon vibe at all. Those kinds of shows were the way they were because they were made fast, cheap, and with the lowest common denominator in mind. That sonic is himself, part of that whole bracket of entertainment and always has been is not correct. SATAM and TAoSTH (god I hate typing those out) were made to cash in on Sonic's popularity. They have nothing to do with the games or the spirit of the franchise. The games were silent, alienated no certain demographic, and were tasteful in general. That's nice that you're able to put up with the absolute shit/cheese factor of this thing, but the rest of us shouldn't have to just bend over and accept it as something that's inherent to the series. Because it's not.

It could still turn out to be alright. One cutscene probably isn't going to ruin anything. I just think its high time they sewed sonic's fucking mouth shut. That's one thing playing Sonic 4 made me realize. I love the sonic that doesn't speak. OR! if he absolutely MUST TALK, just make it 100% text based. It would be cheap as well as tasteful. Although I guess that would end up pissing children off. Everyone knows kids hate to read.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

On second thought, nevermind.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Radrappy wrote: I love the sonic that doesn't speak. OR! if he absolutely MUST TALK, just make it 100% text based. It would be cheap as well as tasteful. Although I guess that would end up pissing children off. Everyone knows kids hate to read.
And this is why I'm still a Mario fan and not a Sonic fan. I'm so very, very glad that after Super Mario Sunshine, a Mario platformer never really had voiced dialogue again.

CM August

Post by CM August »

There is another alternative to wish for - a good story with good dialogue and good voice acting. Most Sonic games miss all three, but like the 3D-vs-2D debate, it needn't be totally abandoned just because of Sega's ineptitude. Sonic Adventure was almost there!

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

American Sonic Colors DS demo is up.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

The slide and stomp are such utterly pointless moves. You literally never need to use them as even normal jumps break things. I never saw anything to slide under, either (nor did I want to do that). All it does is needlessly make the player feel the controls are complicated when they start it up.

Homing attack is also broken and works even poorer than it does in Sonic 4, although less of the game is designed around it (still makes it shite). What I find most surprising is that the physics are better than Sonic 4's.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Kogen wrote:What I find most surprising is that the physics are better than Sonic 4's.
I don't, because this is undoubtedly the same engine as the last two Rush games.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

The slide and stomp are such utterly pointless moves. You literally never need to use them as even normal jumps break things. I never saw anything to slide under, either (nor did I want to do that). All it does is needlessly make the player feel the controls are complicated when they start it up.
Maybe later levels will force you to use them?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

What's the stomp like? Like the bubble bounce from 3?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I think it's slightly faster. Obviously you don't bounce when you land - there's significant downtime, actually (about 0.5 seconds). You lose all horizontal momentum on doing it, as well.

Also, the slide is odd. Helps you go faster when going downhill, but slower when going uphill or on flat area. Defeats enemies. Feels like a gimped version of what rolling should be.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I really like that cutscene. Sonic's voice is spot-on! Just pre-ordered this thing to get my free Sonic figure. Let's see how she handles next Friday.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ecHD-D ... r_embedded

I was able to obtain a translated version of some of what of the reviewer said (Thanks to TOOT-TOOT from the SEGA Forums).

"-best 3d Sonic game yet.

-it could rival Galaxy 2

-there is a Japanese language option. "

You can see Starlight Carnival and Aquarium Park in action in that video by the way and tons of cut scenes (thought voice is barely heard).

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Edgerock wrote:-there is a Japanese language option. "
If so, god bless.

Smith is atrocious. Somehow, all at once he makes his Sonic sound too old, too hipster teenager, too stoned, and too fake; and courtesy the lovely script in that scene, he's a deaf retard now too. Whoever made the fandub comment is exactly right, when I cannot even listen to a voice and be conviced it's coming out of the mouth of the character that's talking, there is a fairly serious problem. All i've been told by people in response is "hurr Sonic's supposed to be an ass right", but this is way over the top - let's just portray Sonic as so pissed off at even having to BE in this shit that he always talks down in a crass, mocking tone to absolutely everybody, including people he has no problem with and even the player! Fuckin' edgy, man! No one could find that annoying and unappealing!

Tails, for the record, is a step up (the actress talks too slow, though), but you have to do a pretty awful job to make me start missing Griffith immedeately. I'm not sure I even want to know what they've done to the rest of the cast now.