Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Kogen »

Instead of being in terrible games Mario tends to star in retarded/childish spin offs. I have the Olympic Mario/Sonic game on DS and I can never see myself getting another. It is not terrible but one is enough. It does absolutely nothing interesting, just like all the other Mario sports/mini games.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

And that's the worst that can be said of the Mario series really, which isn't a bad position to be in at all. Whenever there's a Mario tennis/racing/baseball/football game it's a pretty good tennis/racing/baseball/football game. Nintendo milk the hell out of the franchise, but their quality control is high.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

As far as spin-offs go, Mario Tennis 64 and Mario Strikers Charged are probably my two favorites. Mario Superstar Baseball and Mario Golf/Tennis GBC were pretty good as well.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

The Mario franchise is a fucking joke. I don't mind if a franchise has a spinoff or two now and then, but with Mario, it's gotten out of control. (Do we really need EIGHT Mario Party titles? I loathed the first one!)

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Well, they are slowing down, what with an entire *gasp* two years between 7 & 8, and three years since the last. Course there're ten Mario Parties if you count the handhelds.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

And Wii Party amounts to an 11th if in spirit.

I thought the 3rd one was pretty enjoyable (in fact, they ought to put it on the VC), so if you're going to suffer through any one of them, that would be it. It contains basically everything one would want to play out of the series for good, and plenty of it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The thing I like about the Mario franchise is they make it very clear which games I should and shouldn't give a crap about. It's not like Sonic, where practically every title is presented as a "main" title of random quality. You can always tell which games are the "real" Mario games, and you can almost always count on them being good.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

cjmcray wrote:The sonic franchise is a fucking joke.
ftfy and don't you forget it.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

^Yeah, it's really odd seeing a hardcore Sonic fan call Mario, or really anything with a good track record a joke.
MiraiTails wrote:If Colors comes to 360, my owning a Wii will become even less necessary.
And what if this so called hypothetical port based on an unreliable rumor from 4chan is a shoddy cash-in port by DIMPS or Backbone?

And about that other stupid rumor, what the Mario/Sonic non-sports game was made by Sonic Team instead of Tokyo EAD?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

rumours abound! a play in one act

Post by j-man »

wentos: i predict a sonic game will come out that is a bit like the last one but with some different stuff
the internet: MY GOD HE'S RIGHT

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I was speaking about the endless amount of spinoffs. The "true" Mario titles are pretty good (Though I hated the water pack in Sunshine)

But none of the 3D games will ever be as good as the NES/SNES originals.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

cjmcray wrote:I was speaking about the endless amount of spinoffs.
Yeah, but who cares about the spinoffs? Like Esrever said, they make it very clearly who the titles are marketed for and they still manage to make strong polished games adventure platforming games that the series is known for. I can't denounce a company that had made some of my most favorite (and current) platforming games. Fuck, I played the first Mario Party and never touched any of the spinoff titles (the exception being Mario Kart of course).

Now if only Sega could get their shit together and make a main feature that isn't a buggy, ass-sweat-drenched piece of shit, then maybe I would have paid for a Sonic game past Heroes.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

The only Mario spinoff I look forward to are the Mario RPGs since I find them better than most other titles in the genre. This is coming from a RPG fanatic.
cjmcray wrote:But none of the 3D games will ever be as good as the NES/SNES originals.
I beg to differ as I thought Mario Galaxy was on par and in some cases better than the original 8-bit/16-bit games.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FccfWmAX_Ig

Why can't Sonic Team do anything remotely close as this? The new DKCR trailer today just blows their last decade away. 70+ plus levels as well.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

'Cause Sega is ran by egotistical assholes who appeal to the low standard of children.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

That looked great.
To be fair though I'm pretty sure Sonic Team isn't working with the same budget that these people are.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pVHJeIU ... r_embedded#!

Holy crap this is awful. His voice sounds way too fucking deep. Also that fourth wall breaking bit was ass.

Tails is pretty good though.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Radrappy wrote: Also that fourth wall breaking bit was ass.
sonicidleanimation.gif

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I see Tails reading binary is put to very important use here.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Good lord I thought that was a fandub.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

...Roger Craig Smith was a lot better as Chris Redfield. At least Tails no longer sounds like a girl though.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I actually think Smith makes an OK Sonic, in theory. It's not the voice I would have imagined at all, but it's a very natural and un-forced sounding performance... which is a big improvement not just for Sonic, but for Smith, who I always thought sounded like some kind of half-robot person in Resident Evil. (Though that may be the fault of all the nonsensical crap he had to say.)

That said, he makes Sonic a bit of an "actor" -- like, someone who mugs a lot, puts on voices, uses a lot of vocal inflections and big variations in tone and speed -- and it just looks a bit weird coming out of a model with such a limited range of facial movement. He almost never looks like he's saying what he's actually saying. The voice will be pinched, or exaggerated, or totally mugging, but the mouth and eyebrows will barely change. I guess it's always been like this... maybe it was just less noticeable when Griffith was the actor, because his Sonic performance was very much "one mood all the time", just like his face.

Tails sounds exactly like I'd expect him too, but the performance itself seemed a little flat. And of course, the whole thing is really cornball and kind of idiotic... there's a real Saturday morning vibe to it all.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

I instantly like this new guys Sonic voice better than Griffith's. Griffith was simply unable to capture any of Sonic's required attitude, but Mr New Guy does a pretty good job at it.

But Tails still sounds to much like a fucking woman.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I like Tails's voice as it's not scratchy as the old one.

As for Sonic, maybe it's that scene, but I found his pitch a bit too deep for my liking. It just sounds a bit odd right now.

Highlight of that corny scene was Sonic moonwalking.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Esrever wrote: it just looks a bit weird coming out of a model with such a limited range of facial movement.
This is a criticism I have towards modern video game characters in general.

He's a cartoon! Exaggerate facial expression! Bend, squash, channel those golden era cartoons from which he was derived!