Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Arcade

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Arcade »

In Sonic 3, Tails, Sonic and Knuckles didn't have the same speed, at least not in the racing mini-game...

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://nintendopower.com/images/NP260_Previews.jpg

Nintendo Power has released the teaser pics for it's new upcoming issue which has a Sonic Colors article in it, and the two pages shown in the teaser has some new information.

* The Purple Wisp transforms Sonic into a “berserker that chomps through anything in its path”
* Asteroid Coaster Zone is revealed, with the following description. “Run on a Saturn-like planet's rings, deal with reversed gravity and toxic green goo.”
* The Wii version contains six Acts per zone, some short and some long and one boss, while the DS version contains 2 lengthy Acts per zone and one boss.
* Aswell as the previously revealed Sonic Simulator, where you can play co-op with a friend, you can also “challenge every level in sequence via the Egg Shuttle”. Does this mean every stage in the game you can do a competitive race mode?
* The DS version has a Time Attack mode and also allows you to compete against friends locally or over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Also 63 stage minimum confirmed (likely 70 stage minimum though), with seven bosses minimum also (though likely also a seventh stage at this point, and at least one more boss. Might be like Unleashed and the final zone has multiple missions like the Wii version as well as the final boss).

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Esrever wrote:On the one hand, I'm glad they've finally hired some English-speaking writers to create the story and script, and I like the idea of a tone that's humorous and maybe even a little sarcastic.

But on the other hand, comedy is hard! The opportunity for failure is extremely high. You can tell from those in-level announcements that the dude who plays Eggman is just reveling in the material, but I worry that he's the only one who'll be able to pull it off. It's hard not to be skeptical about a cowboy Cubot... it's going to take some really stellar writing and delivery to make that funny and not just extremely irritating.
Nintendo Power wrote:If there's one criticism to levy about the game, it's in regards to the storytelling. There's nothing wrong with the plot ... but the cut-scenes are chock-full of cringe-inducing jokes that may have been written by an actual hedgehog.
If Nintendo Power is calling the writing corny then oh boy.

The plot is really all that interests me. The community is getting what they asked for: a game of unleashed day stages, and ones with improved design at that, but I still don't find them very appealing. Part of it is how cluttered they look with all those cannons, pulleys, rainbow rings, and various other boosters.

Does anyone else think there's such a thing as too many alternate paths? I like the old high/middle/low route system, and having a few branches and connections between them is fine, but when there's a ton of minor splits that just barely leave sight of each other before rejoining it bothers me. I guess it's ok if you're casually running straight through the stage and you get to go a slightly different way each time, but I get OCD about it and want to see every path, and when there're so many little branches that go basically nowhere it makes it a chore. If the path is going to branch in a different direction, I think it should commit to that direction for a little while and actually go somewhere. Here and in Rush it seems like a lot of the paths are just there to provide an alternative if you screw up a QTE or miss a rail, which is understandable given the obstacle-course nature of the gameplay, and SA2 had a bit of that too, but it's decidedly geared in favor of speed over exploration and that's not really my thing.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

first people complains about having few panths, then people complains about having too many paths, hey Sega what about if you ignore fans and just try to make a fun game?

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Arcade wrote:first people complains about having few panths, then people complains about having too many paths, hey Sega what about if you ignore fans and just try to make a fun game?
It is a complaint about shitty paths, not too many paths.

The ones in Unleashed were almost all pointless, plus the game went too fast for you to be able to even get to most of them. That is bad level design.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Arcade wrote:Sega
Arcade wrote:fun game
bwahahahahahahahahaha

*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Sega does make fun games, just none which have the word "Sonic" in the title.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Is anything really great still being made directly in house, or is it all coming from outside studios like Platinum?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Yami CJMErl wrote:
Arcade wrote:Sega
Arcade wrote:fun game
(hearty laughter)
Other operative words being "ignore fans" and "try". Arcade is not very far off the mark here. Unfortunately, i'm starting to suspect a part of the current problem is that the boneheads at PR have been feeding the developers god knows what tall tales and mangled interpretations of what they read on the internet. And/Or really lame focus groups.
Esrever wrote:Is anything really great still being made directly in house, or is it all coming from outside studios like Platinum?
After Burner Climax and Valkyria Chronicles come to mind as at least decently-recieved recent releases from in-house. The company isn't totally hopeless, more like (frequently on the bad side of) dyslexic. One wonders what it would be if the upper management gave half a shit about anything but staying afloat, though.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Segaholic2 wrote:Sega does make fun games, just none which have the word "Sonic" in the title.
dude waht are you talking about sega team rox they have samba nights sonic poyopop

As for actual good SEGA games, AM2 and SEGA Europe have successful titles. I do not think AM2 ever dropped in quality, and franchises like Total War and Football Manager sell/review very high. Yakuza games are good too, although I question the future with what they have been doing since 4 came out- but regardless, that is still coming elsewhere in 2011 and is high quality computer video game.

Otherwise they just make shitty Sonic/movie games, release PSP games for Japanese market, and re-release old stuff. It seems like a strange legacy of the old SEGA America Marvel-deals, SEGA Japan's RPG fetish, and 'old stuff is popular lets release old stuff' hype.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Nobody in the US gives a damn about Yakuza or Valkyria Chronicles. I dont know about how they're treated in other countries but here in America Sega is pretty much a joke.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:Nobody in the US gives a damn about Yakuza or Valkyria Chronicles. I dont know about how they're treated in other countries but here in America Sega is pretty much a joke.
^ Thank you. No brand identity whatsoever, and no attempt by SoA to make any.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Speaking of Sega's other games:

Space Harrier reference in Curtis (of all places)?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Radrappy wrote:Nobody in the US gives a damn about Yakuza or Valkyria Chronicles. I dont know about how they're treated in other countries but here in America Sega is pretty much a joke.
Fat, lazy people with poor tastes, surely!

But really, they do have some public knowledge and get good review scores, as well as sell in the hundreds of thousands. I would not consider that bad overall when considering the Japanese popularity combined with it. SEGA of America is also dissolved now, so perhaps better marketing will result.

As far as Japanese third parties are concerned, I still think even these minor successes are better than the repeated failures of others. Basically everything companies like Capcom and Namco make lately are massive failures of huge budget games. Only some big IPs still sell good based on their name alone, much like Sonic.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Arcade wrote:first people complains about having few panths, then people complains about having too many paths, hey Sega what about if you ignore fans and just try to make a fun game?

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

New reason not to buy any of the games, although this is just bonus content at this point.

Hopefully in the future they attempt hiring suitable people, not weird Sonic Stadium furries.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

cjmcray wrote:Image
Awesome.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Edgerock wrote:[link]

New Article regarding Tails.
Sounds reasonable to me. I'm bummed about the NPC thing, though. I guess they're just following fans' presumed desire to only play as Sonic.

Isn't it more of a desire to not be forced to play as other characters, though? The classics didn't force you to play as anyone but Sonic...

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Let's not worry about other characters until they get sonic right.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Yes, let everything else degrade and only allow one thing to potentially get fixed even though it is not going to be. A fine philosophical framework.

I would rather the other characters not be terrible instead of them being playable. I cannot see why anyone would want to play as them if they are unappealing in the first place.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Kogen wrote:Yes, let everything else degrade and only allow one thing to potentially get fixed even though it is not going to be. A fine philosophical framework.
no no, the point is to make a good game before worrying about caking other shit on. I didn't mean to imply that I think colors is perfect.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Radrappy wrote:
Kogen wrote:Yes, let everything else degrade and only allow one thing to potentially get fixed even though it is not going to be. A fine philosophical framework.
no no, the point is to make a good game before worrying about caking other shit on. I didn't mean to imply that I think colors is perfect.
A good game involves good everything, though? That includes the characters filling their proper roles.

It is not as if this is difficult to do. If Sonic Team cannot manage to understand their own franchise then I doubt they can manage anything.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Yes but these are games. I don't think Im crazy when I suggest that the gameplay is probably the most important part of the equation here. Fix that first.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Radrappy wrote:Yes but these are games. I don't think Im crazy when I suggest that the gameplay is probably the most important part of the equation here. Fix that first.
No, they are called 'video game'. You have to have proper video involved!

But to be serious, a lot people enjoy more about video games in general than the exact gameplay programming. It is not different than watching a movie with good acting despite not giving a shite about the theme.

So for it to be good/interesting, I expect more than proper gameplay. Just look at those dull multiplayer remakes of Sonic 1 stages to see what life they sucked out of it.