Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Kogen »

So apparently it is not as boosty as I thought! Just an empty abyssal plain of level design. The 2D sections also look as unplayable as they were in Unleashed.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

new footage

http://screwattack.com/videos/Hands-On- ... lors-Wii-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEGpGDAwzK0

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... 0?type=flv

Looks pretty damn swell. The gametrailers one in particular. Love the alternate routes. Kogen & Segaholic, I know it's never going to reach our standards for an amazing sonic game, but isn't a competent one good enough at this point?

PS. ACT 2 ARE YOU SERIOUS? We haven't gotten an act two in a sonic game in forever. Also, enemies that pursue you in the ground.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Don't get hopes up, don't get hopes up...
PS. ACT 2 ARE YOU SERIOUS? We haven't gotten an act two in a sonic game in forever.
You mean besides the DS/GBA games? Also, didn't Unleashed HD have multiple day acts in some places?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

The only thing appealing here is the graphics. Of the first level. The food-themed one is just stupid. The rest looks like Unleashed HD all over again, bah.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

K2J wrote:
PS. ACT 2 ARE YOU SERIOUS? We haven't gotten an act two in a sonic game in forever.
You mean besides the DS/GBA games? Also, didn't Unleashed HD have multiple day acts in some places?
No I'm pretty sure it didn't. And I was referring to the console outings yeah.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

ohhhhh it looks lovely <3

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

P.P.A. wrote:The food-themed one is just stupid.
> Complaining about cartoony environments in a Sonic game.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Radrappy wrote: Kogen & Segaholic, I know it's never going to reach our standards for an amazing sonic game, but isn't a competent one good enough at this point?
I don't know about you, but I would rather spend my full $50 on an amazing game than just a competent one. A game being competent does not automatically means it will be enjoyable.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I think his point is that, as far as Sonic goes, your options are "shit" or "competent", not "amazing" or "competent".

The obvious answer is, of course, not to buy Sonic games!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The 2D segments in that gametrailers video (especially act 2) look fantastic! Look at all the cool little nooks and crannies you can get to with the drill power. That's really neat!

It does look a lot like the 360/PS3 Unleashed... but it looks like the parts of that game I enjoyed the most, at a more reasonable speed, with better looking controls and a promising temporary power mechanic. I am really pleased!

edit: I'm also thrilled to hear the Sonic Unleashed sound team is coming back to do the music. Hopefully this time they'll get a game that is as good as their soundtrack.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Rob-Bert wrote:
Sonic environments never were cartoony, they were surreal and abstract.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:
Sonic environments never were cartoony, they were surreal and abstract.
I can't think of anything more surreal than a giant floating hamburger but okay. Out of curiosity, How does your ideal 3d sonic play? Just give me the short version. Don't link me to any essays please.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I think it looks good, except the 3D sections which are entirely racetrack affairs. Why can't those bits be as non-linear as the side scroller bits look to be? It's a shame that they seem to have given up on doing a proper 3D Sonic game, but this looks like it could be fun in its own right.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Radrappy wrote:I can't think of anything more surreal than a giant floating hamburger but okay. Out of curiosity, How does your ideal 3d sonic play? Just give me the short version. Don't link me to any essays please.
From what he's said in the past it's probably some bastard fusion of Sonic CD, Sonic Rivals and Sonic 2006.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Things about the game:

* You have to kill all enemies in an area to move on
* If you run out of drill energy while drilling, you instantly die
* The previous point was on purpose to make the game 'challenging' according to Iizuka

It seems like a diarrhea platter to me. People seem to be saying the 2D stuff looks so good, but I think it looks equally as bad as the 3D gameplay. I hated it in Unleashed and even prefer the Werehog stuff to it. 2D =/= Automatically Good.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

I could describe it as a mix of Sonic CD, Sonic R, and Sonic 06 and Flower.
What I would want to see are organic (but not realistic!) levels, that feel complete in themselves, like a path through an environment and not a path in an environment. There should not be separate routes where the path splits here and there for a bit, but rather large complexes of intersecting and parallel layers of surroundings, through which you could move relatively freely. Worlds that feel whole, that don't give you the feeling of getting through a predefined level but of experiencing amazing places.
In terms of movement, Sonic should feel more dynamic. The momentum mechanics from Sonic CD should definitely be kept, but the moveset should be expanded by the addition of, how should I say it, acrobatics. You should be able to press a button in midair and grab on to a nearby vine to use it to swing somewhere, or you could gain speed, and jump towards a wall or something on which if you jumped at the right angle at speed you could then run 90° or 180° for a bit.
To simplify it, I want a Sonic game that allows you to indulge in the freedom of Movement and large otherworldly yet complete playgrounds where you can make full use of it.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I'd like that as much as the next guy, but Sonic Colors is all we got, and it's better than every previous Sonic game this past decade.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Rob-Bert wrote:I'd like that as much as the next guy, but Sonic Colors is all we got, and it's better than every previous Sonic game this past decade.
Rob-Bert wrote:So you've played the game?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

What do you mean this is all we have? There are other games coming out this year in the franchise and much better games in the same genre. There is even a better looking game with the exact same name.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yes let's all lower our standards and praise games for being mediocre or competent or merely acceptable.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Rob-Bert wrote:I'd like that as much as the next guy, but Sonic Colors is all we got, and it's better than every previous Sonic game this past decade.
Segaholic2 wrote:Yes let's all lower our standards and praise games for being mediocre or competent or merely acceptable.
+1

Well don't despair just yet, guys. Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors Wii might suck, but there are still at least four more Sonic games in simultaneous development. With so many of them being made at the same time, at least one of them's bound to turn out good, right?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

None of us have played the game, but you can't say this looks as bad as teams/guns/princesses/psychic powers/werehogs/swords/tilt controls/whatever the fuck else at this point.

All I was saying was that it looks like a step up. If that's still mediocre, then I imagine none of you people will ever be pleased with a Sonic game ever again, since I highly doubt any of us are going to get exactly what we want.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I know this is probably frowned upon, but: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Kogen/SEGA.png

Neo

Post by Neo »

Rob-Bert wrote:None of us have played the game, but you can't say this looks as bad as teams/guns/princesses/psychic powers/werehogs/swords/tilt controls/whatever the fuck else at this point.
No, but it certainly seems to play worse. I'd much rather play Sonic Heroes, Shadow, or Secret Rings than this game. It just looks unfathomably boring.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

search.php?author_id=902&sr=posts

Rob-Bert's posts. I went back about 12 pages, skipping a few of them. tl;dr:
Rob-Bert wrote:You really hate everything, don't you?
Every game, every time, regardless of what is being objected to, here you are to say some equivalent of the above quote. And you'll be raving about how hateful we are the next game, and the next, and the next.

I think we had enough of that (in reverse) out of Dasher, don't you think?