SEGA's Leak of the Month

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Blount

Re: SEGA's Leak of the Month

Post by Blount »

So does this have Sonic 3 & Knuckles or a new "Knuckles in Sonic 3" game? Because the screenshots contradict each others and the latter option would be, well, stupid.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I hope they take out the save screen again, like on XBLA. I really hated that and prefer save states on a generic background (plus I do not like being able to transfer my saves).

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Blount wrote:So does this have Sonic 3 & Knuckles or a new "Knuckles in Sonic 3" game? Because the screenshots contradict each others and the latter option would be, well, stupid.
"Knuckles in Sonic 3" has been explained by AAUK to be the internal name or some such laughable excuse. But the game is unchanged. Seems like Blue Spheres won't make it, though.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yeah, my bitching got AAUK to clarify it. You're welcome, I guess?

Really, I can live with no multiplayer and squashed graphics (although that last one will REALLY be trying, since I prefer 1:1 pixel ratios) if the games are perfectly intact, no bullshit save workarounds like in the XBLA version of S3&K.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I wish Sega would re-release Sonic 2 with two-player mode for every level up to Metropolis Zone. The two-player mode was the best thing about the game, even with the completely unworkable competitive Special Stage.

Neo

Post by Neo »

In the original game, technical limitations prohibited 2P mode from working at a decent framerate in levels with water, so Chemical Plant 2 and the entirety of Aquatic Ruin would be out of the picture. The earthquake + rising lava effect would also break Hill Top, and I'm not sure if vertically wrapping levels would work, so there goes Metropolis. Which leaves out... Chemical Plant 1, Oil Ocean and Wing Fortress.

There was a time where I wondered why only three levels were pickable, but now I'm grateful for just that.

That being said, if you're waiting for Sega to ever do a correct port of a Mega Drive game to another system, I'd suggest not holding your breath -- last time that happened was with Sonic & Knuckles Collection.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

But what was up with that MIDI soundtrack?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Neo wrote:In the original game, technical limitations prohibited 2P mode from working at a decent framerate in levels with water, so Chemical Plant 2 and the entirety of Aquatic Ruin would be out of the picture. The earthquake + rising lava effect would also break Hill Top, and I'm not sure if vertically wrapping levels would work, so there goes Metropolis. Which leaves out... Chemical Plant 1, Oil Ocean and Wing Fortress.
Excuses! We're living in THE FUTURE now. We have the science!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Crazy Penguin wrote:I wish Sega would re-release Sonic 2 with two-player mode for every level up to Metropolis Zone. The two-player mode was the best thing about the game
Um...no. It was annoying to play and you couldn't see a damn thing due to the small size of everything. I remember Mega Collection cleaning it up a bit, but it still wasn't very fun. My brother and I played 2-player maybe five or six times in our lives.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Really? Anyone is crazy enough to buy this game?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:
Crazy Penguin wrote:I wish Sega would re-release Sonic 2 with two-player mode for every level up to Metropolis Zone. The two-player mode was the best thing about the game
Um...no. It was annoying to play and you couldn't see a damn thing due to the small size of everything. I remember Mega Collection cleaning it up a bit, but it still wasn't very fun. My brother and I played 2-player maybe five or six times in our lives.
YOU'RE ANNOYING TO PLAY.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Have fun playing Sonic 2 on the Mega Drive with slowdown every other 15 seconds in any level but Emerald Hill Zone. Sure was fun not being able to time my jumps whenever someone lost their rings.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I played Sonic 2 multiplayer constantly with my Dad. The slowdown was irritating, but aside from that it was a really fun model for competitive multiplayer! I wish they'd do something like that again...

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

In a widescreen setup and with a side-by-side split screen (not to mention making sure there's no lag at all), I think it could be a good idea. Let's hope they take that into consideration next time they re-re-re-re-rerelease Sonic 2...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

So I guess this is out today? Any takers?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Runs with a bit of slowdown when losing rings, but since it's emulated, it doesn't suck as much as Sonic Genesis.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Only four roms?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

And the lock-ons, yeah.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Where is all the Jam?

If it had that, I might have gotten it.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

That actually looks surprisingly good. I mean since the gameplay is running smoothly and doesn't feel too claustrophobic, there's not really much more I could've expected them to pull off on the DS screens.

I can't listen to sound at the moment but is the soundtrack emulated too? I assume if it is then it'd sound fine through headphones.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Kogen wrote:Where is all the Jam?
There are some art galleries in there, at least. I doubt it's as extensive as Jam, but there's some.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

G.Silver wrote:
Kogen wrote:Where is all the Jam?
There are some art galleries in there, at least. I doubt it's as extensive as Jam, but there's some.
Yeah, but that is not good enough. I want to see theme parks, watch videos at the local theatre, view advertisements for movies, run around Green Hill Zone, collect rings, and touch Tails.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

You mean touch Miles.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

There's a Robert Frost joke in there, I'm sure.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Kogen wrote:Yeah, but that is not good enough. I want to see theme parks, watch videos at the local theatre, view advertisements for movies, run around Green Hill Zone, collect rings, and touch Tails.
Sorry, not enough cart space between the (admittedly redundant) seperate versions of Sonic and S&K and cramming in that important trailer for a godawful year-and-a-half old RPG.

So is the multiplayer still in or did they indeed just lazily cut it out instead of attempting to find any solution? The emulation may be suprisingly decent but if the rest of thing lends the impression of "hurr throw it out the door already", why bother?