SEGA's Leak of the Month

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: SEGA's Leak of the Month

Post by Kogen »

FlashTHD wrote:
Kogen wrote:Yeah, but that is not good enough. I want to see theme parks, watch videos at the local theatre, view advertisements for movies, run around Green Hill Zone, collect rings, and touch Tails.
Sorry, not enough cart space between the (admittedly redundant) seperate versions of Sonic and S&K and cramming in that important trailer for a godawful year-and-a-half old RPG.

So is the multiplayer still in or did they indeed just lazily cut it out instead of attempting to find any solution? The emulation may be suprisingly decent but if the rest of thing lends the impression of "hurr throw it out the door already", why bother?
Every year SEGA beats their own record at releasing the most games in March. This is their business strategy.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Kogen wrote:Every year SEGA beats their own record at releasing the most games in March. This is their business strategy.
Holy shit he's right.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Apparently this game has Sonic 1, 2, Blast, and Chaos on it for Gamegear. Kind of neat, I guess!

Too bad they screwed that up and we all know why.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Ugh. The DS's resolution is exactly the same as the Master System's, and they chose the Game Gear versions? What the fuck.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Ah well, the only 8-bit Sonic worth playing is Tails' Adventure, anyway.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Triple Trouble was pretty good.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I really liked Sonic Chaos, at least the technically inferior but much more playable Master System version. It was horribly easy but well-designed and with a couple of really awesome concepts, such as Mecha Green Hill Zone or Aqua Planet Zone. The bosses were neat too, as was the introduction of the 8-bit peelout.

Blount

Post by Blount »

This sums up my thoughts pretty nicely:
Kogen wrote:Sonic Chaos is laggy and horrible on SMS, and likely the same diarrhea on Game Gear. Sonic 1 and 2 play without any lag at all.

I even think Sonic 1 on SMS is equal to the MD version. If this was made in 16-bit, I would say it is the better game, even.

Both 1 and 2 8-bit are just as good as CD (hardware limitations to be accounted for), which is awkwardly over rated by the previously mentioned weird internet nerds.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Kogen wrote:Sonic Chaos is laggy and horrible on SMS
Did you play it on actual hardware or are you one of the people who emulate it and complain about lagginess not realising they're emulating a game released exclusively on 50hz markets in 60hz?
I even think Sonic 1 on SMS is equal to the MD version. If this was made in 16-bit, I would say it is the better game, even.

Both 1 and 2 8-bit are just as good as CD (hardware limitations to be accounted for), which is awkwardly over rated by the previously mentioned weird internet nerds.
What the hell,that- Oh wait you're Kogen lol

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Blount wrote:This sums up my thoughts pretty nicely:
Kogen wrote:Sonic Chaos is laggy and horrible on SMS, and likely the same diarrhea on Game Gear. Sonic 1 and 2 play without any lag at all.

I feel like I've stumbled into one of those awful parallel worlds, where everything seems the same on the surface but there's some horrifying twist that sends you scrambling back home.

Blount

Post by Blount »

I guess the comparison between the 8-bit games and Sonic CD is a bit exaggerated, but I agree on the first one being as good as the Mega Drive version. Each version has their own ups and downs (SMS has better Special Stages and the level design is simplistic but more fluid; MD has more exploration but has lots of parts where you have to stop and wait for something to happen, especially in Marble Zone). I have as much fun with one as I do with the other, though I tend to replay the SMS version more because that's the one I grew up with.

I also like Sonic 2 for the SMS because it's challenging (though the Game Gear version is just cheap all around). I admit, however, that it's worse than its predecessor and uncomparable to the endlessly better MD version, itself a whole different game.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Blount wrote:I guess the comparison between the 8-bit games and Sonic CD is a bit exaggerated, but I agree on the first one being as good as the Mega Drive version. Each version has their own ups and downs (SMS has better Special Stages and the level design is simplistic but more fluid; MD has more exploration but has lots of parts where you have to stop and wait for something to happen, especially in Marble Zone).
Like Bridge Zone Act 2, Scrap Brain Zone Act 2 or all of Labyrinth Zone, right? ...I will admit however that S1SMS's absolutely awesome music makes up for a few of its flaws.

I actually do like Sonic 2 SMS better than Sonic 2 MD though.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I think Marble Zone gets a lot of undeserved crap for being what would be a really good level in any other game. Marble Zone is there to teach you control, and to suggest that maybe there's more to this Sonic stuff than just running at top speed. Sometimes you have to slow down and assess the situation (this is also what many will tell you is good about Sonic CD). Sometimes you have to wait two or three seconds for a platform to move for you. THE AGONY I KNOW. No one ever complains about having to ride on or momentarily wait for all those damn moving platforms in a Mario game, that's for sure, and if you're refering to the sections where you ride a block across lava, there's only one of them that you actually have to ride (the one with the lava spurts), and the rest can be easily jumped across without the blocks if you feel even a little brave.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

The only thing that burns my ass about Marble Zone is the Caterkillers. Other than that it's OK by me.

And I'm another one who agrees that Sonic 1 for the GG/MS is a nice game. I like the different Zones from the MD version, I like the easier Labyrinth and Scrap Brain Zones, and I like having to search for the Chaos Emeralds in each Zone rather than earning them in Special Stages.

The GG/MS version of Sonic 2 is another story entirely though...

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Rob-Bert wrote:I like the different Zones from the MD version, I like the easier Labyrinth and Scrap Brain Zones,
Sonic the Hedgehog (UE) [!]_000.gif
Sonic the Hedgehog (UE) [!]_000.gif (6.92 KiB) Viewed 31105 times

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

What I dislike about Sonic 1 SGG/MS is how one-dimensional it feels compared to 2...there are always a little more that 100 rings in act 1, a little less than 100 in act 2 and a hidden 1up in 3. And when you get hit, you lose those rings permanently. (On the plus side, you get the shield. And you get to keep it between levels, which is waay ahead of its time.)

Also, playing on an actual console, Sonic 1 feels extremely slow and tactical compared to 2/Chaos/TT...probably because its field of vision is larger and takes more effort to calculate.

Sonic 2 has like the best Sonic music ever (any record on who composed it? ...the credit list only gives out nicknames) and I really like the weird precision of movement there (not much before mastering the control you discover the necessity of rolling into a ball before doing just about anything)...if you roll into a spring, it will propel you up faster, further and under a lower arc...after landing 8 (I think) consequentive hits on destructible things, Sonic will do a double-jump...if you roll into the loops in Green Hills, you will run out of them at Super Sonic speed and destroy any enemy you run into...if you roll head-on into the boss of Gimmick Mt. you'll bounce him back in his tracks...things like that. The movement may seem jumpy and overwhelming at first, but makes perfect sense and is incredibly tight once you figure it out.

...Sonic 2's real problem is that someone at Aspect limited decided to play with the level order and switched Under Ground and Green Hills - literally (the level order in the code goes something like 03 01 02 00 04 etc.). Absence of a lush and colorful level devoid of lava, complete with a first boss that was intended to be a later-game challenge destroys a lot of reputation for this game, I guess.

Yet is also the first Sonic game to feature an opening cutscene, and the first game to give an extra level after collecting the emeralds. Now while I like Chaos and TT and all, I was really, really disappointed for not giving me an extra level like that (at least Triple Trouble has Nack the Weasel and his hidden palace), along with Chaos' simplicity and TT's cheapness (the last emerald stage is more painful that anything Sonic 2 will throw at you, not to mention the collect-a-thon you have to endure just to enter those stages in the first place), the return of bottomless pits, absolute JOKE boss battles...they both felt like a downgrade to me.

Oh well. Not starting on lush palmtree islands on difficulty level 1 and all that, I can see why people would prefer the rest of the games to 2, though. The graphics aren't as pretty as Sonic 1's, either.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

P.P.A. wrote:
Kogen wrote:Sonic Chaos is laggy and horrible on SMS
Did you play it on actual hardware or are you one of the people who emulate it and complain about lagginess not realising they're emulating a game released exclusively on 50hz markets in 60hz?
This is why I call you people 'weird internet nerds'. I own the cart and have played all versions of this game on emulation (as well as giving it a try on GG). It plays the same on every region and emulator I have tried. In comparison, Sonic 1/2 also play the same on all of that, except... they do not lag. Even the Virtual Console release has the lag. One can only conclude it has a poor frame rate.

The lag also lacks consistancy, so do not give them that '50hz' stuff as an excuse.
You pointed out this quote of mine.

What exactly is wrong with me liking Sonic 1 on Master System? Should I be playing those horrible Megamixes on Sonic Retro instead?
What the hell,that- Oh wait you're Kogen lol
Despite your anal affinity for anime, most people do not care for it as much. Sonic CD is not that popular and most people do not even know what it is. That puts it on equal judgment to the Master System games (I would argue Sonic 1 is far more popular in Europe/Brazil than Sonic CD is globally).

Blount

Post by Blount »

(No Imagination) wrote:(words)
I pretty much agree with everything you just said about Sonic 2 for the SMS (except maybe for the music being that good, though I do still love it). The quirks for the first game don't bother me, though. In fact, I kinda like them. The resetting ring counter adds the optional challenge of reaching the level with less than 100 rings (so you can enter the Special Stage and earn bigger rewards), and there's actually a single hidden life monitor in every act, which gives you another cool challenge - finding all the life monitors in the game. It's also probably the only pre-Sonic Adventure game where it's fun to collect as many points as you can, since you're given bonuses for almost every task and a final score tally when you beat the game.
P.P.A. wrote:
Blount wrote:I guess the comparison between the 8-bit games and Sonic CD is a bit exaggerated, but I agree on the first one being as good as the Mega Drive version. Each version has their own ups and downs (SMS has better Special Stages and the level design is simplistic but more fluid; MD has more exploration but has lots of parts where you have to stop and wait for something to happen, especially in Marble Zone).
Like Bridge Zone Act 2, Scrap Brain Zone Act 2 or all of Labyrinth Zone, right?
I'll concede that Bridge Zone Act 2 sucks, but Labyrinth Zone actually encourages you to keep moving. On an unrelated note, I like the music for Labyrinth Zone better in the MD version, but the SMS one is much more appropriate. As for Scrap Brain Zone Act 2, it has one of the best layouts in the entire 8-bit collection! It's like a mix between Sonic and Metroid, complete with separate rooms and puzzles.

A better example of this would have been Sky Base Zone Act 2, where you have to wait until the floating platforms guide you to the end of the level (at least if you want the Emerald).
G.Silver wrote:I think Marble Zone gets a lot of undeserved crap for being what would be a really good level in any other game. Marble Zone is there to teach you control, and to suggest that maybe there's more to this Sonic stuff than just running at top speed. Sometimes you have to slow down and assess the situation (this is also what many will tell you is good about Sonic CD). Sometimes you have to wait two or three seconds for a platform to move for you. THE AGONY I KNOW. No one ever complains about having to ride on or momentarily wait for all those damn moving platforms in a Mario game, that's for sure, and if you're refering to the sections where you ride a block across lava, there's only one of them that you actually have to ride (the one with the lava spurts), and the rest can be easily jumped across without the blocks if you feel even a little brave.
I'm not saying you wait for too long, I'm saying you have to stop too often. To me it breaks the flow of the game unnecessarily, unlike Sonic 2 and S3&K, and to a lesser degree, Sonic 1 for the SMS. This is a good thing for when you first play the game, because it makes you assess the situation, like you said. However, after you're finally familiar with the game, you should have the option of choosing your own rhythm and keep moving if you're good enough. Sonic CD lets you do this, and so do the Mario games, at least outside the auto-scrolling levels.

Is there any purpose to auto-scroll in platformers? I mean, does anyone actually like that kind of levels?

(No Imagination)

Kogen wrote:I would argue Sonic 1 is far more popular in Europe/Brazil than Sonic CD is globally
I'd agree. Back here under the Alps, almost everyone I knew went from having Sega Master Systems to owning SNESes, and while almost everyone played Sonic 1 and 2 SMS/GG (and New Zealand Story and Fantasy Zone and Alex Kidd and Dragon's Trap and all the rest of those godlike games which look terrible when emulated), nobody bothered to play Sonic CD. And since they've since then grown up, probably never will.
Blount wrote:The quirks for the first game don't bother me, though. In fact, I kinda like them. The resetting ring counter adds the optional challenge of reaching the level with less than 100 rings (so you can enter the Special Stage and earn bigger rewards), and there's actually a single hidden life monitor in every act, which gives you another cool challenge - finding all the life monitors in the game. It's also probably the only pre-Sonic Adventure game where it's fun to collect as many points as you can, since you're given bonuses for almost every task and a final score tally when you beat the game.
Well, much like music, it's a matter of personal preference. I find the possibility of getting every ring, monitor and badnik in every level kind of unsettling - it makes me go for the higher score automatically (much like ranking in Sonic Adventure 2)...whenever I play Sonic 1, I'm more worried about the "big picture" of getting everything to rack my score up than just going for it and having fun with the game - while Sonic 2 drops me in the middle of the action, saying "you're Sonic and you can barely see...now survive!". But that's just that, personal preference. I've had great fun with both of these games, but they're very different.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Blount wrote:Is there any purpose to auto-scroll in platformers? I mean, does anyone actually like that kind of levels?
I do, but not in Sonic.

(No Imagination)

This is why I call you people 'weird internet nerds'. I own the cart and have played all versions of this game on emulation (as well as giving it a try on GG). It plays the same on every region and emulator I have tried. In comparison, Sonic 1/2 also play the same on all of that, except... they do not lag. Even the Virtual Console release has the lag. One can only conclude it has a poor frame rate.
But Kogen, my PAL Game Gear Sonic Chaos does not lag, I've just checked it. Where did you experience the game lagging, more specifically?

Sonic 1 does, however (omg Sonic is never going to land). It's consistent, though, so not really annoying, and noticable only in comparison to 2 and Chaos.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Kogen wrote:I would argue Sonic 1 is far more popular in Europe/Brazil than Sonic CD is globally
I've never heard anyone in real life back up Sonic 1 GG/SMS. I've heard plenty of people talk about how much they loved Sonic CD though.

I could never get into the GG/SMS Sonics. They've always seemed so heavily degraded compared to the Genesis games, so there's been almost no reason to bother with them.

Neo

Post by Neo »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I could never get into the GG/SMS Sonics. They've always seemed so heavily degraded compared to the Genesis games, so there's been almost no reason to bother with them.
I never played them until I got Sonic Adventure DX. Turns out they were all worth it except G Sonic (yes, that does include Labyrinth).

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Same here. I remember playing a lot of Sonic 2 for the Master System because a friend of mine had it. It was fun, but it was no Mega Drive. Plus it was damn too hard for my poor child reflexes.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Labyrinth is a bit of a guilty pleasure, honestly. I know it's hardly a good game - you can't tell what powerups are, you trudge around insanely slowly unless you're spin-dashing in which case you bounce around uncontrollably, the boss fights blow chunks, etc - but for some reason, I still kind of like it. Nostalgia getting the best of me, I guess.

I didn't play Sonic Blast when I was a kid, though, so that game's shittiness shines right through.