All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Kogen »

FlashTHD wrote:
Wombatwarlord777 wrote:tssznews
Oh yeah, sure :roll:
First@.

Also the game has been released and it is 2D on HD monitors. You only play as Sonic and it has classic Genesis graphics: http://www.playsega.com/editors/

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I was wondering when somebody would mention that.

It's a bit buggy, but overall a pretty good facsimile of the classic Sonic gameplay. With any luck, it's a good omen of Needlemouse's outcome.

No, wait, this is The GHZ, I'm supposed to objectively hate everything. Right, the game's rather glitchy and lacks the Spin Dash, so clearly this is a bad omen for how Needlemouse will turn out. For shame, Sega.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

He is just angry because he lives in Location:.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Hey, it looks like we finally got an official Sonic level creator. The two stages I've played so far are horrible and mediocre, respectively.

Least the graphics are decent.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Pshh! a new Sonic game, time to sit back and see the wreckage, and that fake site is hilarious it looks like Dr. Seuss The Hedgehog in the Shoes.

Now this game was planned a while back when someone asked them if they were gonna make a oldschool Sonic like Megaman made Megaman 9 some one at SonicTeam said that they would love to, now even if it sucks I so wanna see my old Sonic and especially Eggman again and I hope they get it at least SA1 or SA2 quality but if they screw this with the original legendary designs (which there is a 99% chance) I will be pretty mad heh.

And please! no voice actors! I hate 4kids and couldn't bear seeing the old characters with those hideous voices.

I don't know why I even hope, with people like the ones at the current Sonic Team (im looking at you Iizuka) there is no hope, it will take a miracle! But Sonic was a miracle and phenomenon to begin with...hmm, cheers!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

yes It is confirmed (theoretically speaking), It IS classic Sonic..now it may be...prepare for this...Sonic 1 in HD, as the silhouette is the same as this 1.

Maybe you guys knew this already dunno, if that's the case then forgive my ineptitude.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

So, lets me get this right, this is a game level editor for a Sonic 1 wannabe or for a Sonic CD wannabe?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I wish the latter, being a Sonic CD fan and as Sonic CD is Oshima's love child.

I will just sit this one out, I don't wanna go all crazy over this, not after Heroes,Shadow,Sonic06 and Unleashed I wont.

(not to mention all the others)

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Also note worthy the video also says built from the ground up, a phrase I hate because it was a phrase Iizuka used on Heroes when recreating the 3 Chaotix characters, Ugh.

So anyways lets see if they go all "feature freak" or "big twist" like in Unleashed or keep this game pure and ingenious.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's almost fun watching Dasher and Arcade talk only amongst themselves, and completely get the facts wrong in the process.

The level editor is something different and totally unrelated to Needlemouse, and the game isn't a remake of Sonic 1 since it's "totally new". Duh.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

And It's almost fun watching you make fun of me,

sadly I figured this you mentioned out later, but hell! no one knows with SonicTeam anymore as all they do is tell far fetch half truths anyways.

But the fact remains that the silhouette is that of Sonic 1's title screen.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

This game is supposed to be like the classic Sonic games, so they are doing things like a similar title screen and spinning sounds.

Neat, huh?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Kogen wrote:This game is supposed to be like the classic Sonic games, so they are doing things like a similar title screen and spinning sounds.

Neat, huh?
It worked for Megaman 9, but this is SEGA!

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Well the people at playSEGA.com seem to get it,

Let just see what happens.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Chaos emeralds grow on trees.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Remember that time Sega tried to make Sonic 1 on the Gameboy Advance? I do, and that's why I'm confident that if anyone can screw up an opportunity this golden, it's Sega.

Once again they'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yes but remember SEGA has many divisions, remember Sonic Spinball?

Wombatwarlord777

If only Sega could apply their own advice to a 3D game.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

New Sonic games do have multiple paths.

And SEGA never made Sonic Genesis. Backbone did, apparently.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Kogen wrote:And SEGA never made Sonic Genesis. Backbone did, apparently.
...wait, what? Source?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Well, if Sega had nothing to do with the creation of Sonic Genesis, then I guess piling shit on them would be like blaming them for the mediocrity of Bioware's Sonic outing. Which I'll gladly do. Give Sega a choice of developers and, gosh darn it, they'll without fail find the most mediocre choice available.

Actually, I still really like Bioware, but their little handheld group sucked donkey kidneys.

Wombatwarlord777

Kogen wrote:New Sonic games do have multiple paths.
Examples, please?

In my experience, the new games have not had multiple paths to the extent that Sonic 1 through Sonic 3+K did. Instead of getting significant chunks of level offering another path to the goal, we get little offshoots that reconnect to the rest of the level in 15 seconds or less. In fact, given that the new Sonic games have had an extra dimension to exploit, they should feature more interesting level design than the classics could ever afford to. With a few exceptions (Final Rush and maybe Final Chase), this simply hasn't been the case.

However, I'll admit I've never laid hands on PS3/360's Unleashed. Maybe its daytime stages do indeed feature bonafide multiple paths.

On another note, knowing that Backbone possibly made Sonic Genesis has made me cautiously optimistic about this upcoming 2D title.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Sonic R was a wonderful example of how to incorporate open levels and a multitude of alternate routes into a 3D game. At least Traveller's Tales was a good choice for an external developer...

Neo

Post by Neo »

I thought we established Sonic Genesis was a backport of the Sonic 1 Mobile reprogram job by whoever.
P.P.A. wrote:At least Traveller's Tales was a good choice for an external developer...
Yes they fucking were. Why does everybody hate Sonic 3D? I loved it and still have a lot of fun with it, especially the Saturn version.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Neo wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:At least Traveller's Tales was a good choice for an external developer...
Yes they fucking were. Why does everybody hate Sonic 3D? I loved it and still have a lot of fun with it, especially the Saturn version.
I wish I knew. I loved it just as much... own the PC and Saturn versions, have the Genesis version via Mega Collection Plus. Sonic R was kickass, too; I own the US Saturn version, the EU PC version, and the JP GC version, so not only all the consoles (barring PS2), but all regions! This means absolutely nothing, of course, but eh.