All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Yami CJMErl

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Brazillian Cara wrote:You know, I'm pretty sure that's a fake. Just look at the credits.
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

... ok, so the credits on that poster were fake, but the movie is real. That said, this is AWESOME.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Dr. Watson wrote:Now that one im looking forward to. Why isn't there a thread on this forum about it?
Because we don't want another thread that ends up being whining about 4Kids changing voice actors?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Must be some brazilian thang. I never heard about this movie either.

Damn. Now I'm excited about two things. I hate how the spin dash sound gives me hope. I miss the spin dash.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

If you stop buying bad games, they will keep makimg them anyway, but you will save some money!

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Could someone explain why everyone's so nostalgic over the spin dash?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Because it was one of the fundamental aspects of the series, but was excised from the 3D games in Heroes and made utterly useless in the 2D ones in Advance 2. This culminated in both Rush and Unleashed, in which it was completely and utterly superseded by the dash move, which gave you maximum speed and invincibility provided that a very-easy-to-fill bar was filled. Why settle down and slowly build up momentum with some hills or a Spin Dash, when all you have to do is hold forward and press the dash button? Oh, and either do tricks on rails/in mid-air or grab rings in order to maintain the dash button.

The Spin-Dash still promoted platforming to an extent, by offering a quick way of building momentum; its replacement, the dash move, does not. Given that it was a platformer I fell in love with and not a hold-right-to-win game, you can kind of see why I might be nostalgic for it.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

It is not so much the spindash as it is the rolling aspect. That is kind of the core gameplay of Sonic.

Not having it is, well...

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Sonic doesn't even roll anymore. He's either running in a straight line or bouncing along obstacles semi-automatically.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

You know what, guys? If Sonic actually stopped to Spin Dash, that means he'd have to slow down, and you all know that isn't profitable...

In fact, what Sonic needs is more speed. I hope Sonic gains some sort of "Uber-Warp Drive" in this new game, which allows him to by-pass the end of the stage and burst into the 5th dimension, all in 38/1000ths of a second! That would be so much fucking fun!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Why not just have a game where the only background is the blurring of stars?

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

What's the purpose of the "Speed is back" tagline? Where did speed go?

K2J

Post by K2J »

I guess what I'm really asking is why a the spin dash is often overlooked when it comes to momentum-based gameplay. It sort of feels like a get-out-of-jail free card to me. Sure, it takes longer to activate than the boost, but I still feel that it's a cop-out to get through areas instead of backtracking and building up speed.

I actually don't mind the boost gauge, as long as it's not too easy to activate like it is in Rush and its sequel. You should be able to use it, say, for 10% of the level.

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

K2J wrote:I actually don't mind the boost gauge, as long as it's not too easy to activate like it is in Rush and its sequel. You should be able to use it, say, for 10% of the level.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

OBLIGATORY COMMENT THAT SONIC CD'S SPINDASH IS SUPERIOR HERE

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:You know what, guys? If Sonic actually stopped to Spin Dash, that means he'd have to slow down, and you all know that isn't profitable...

In fact, what Sonic needs is more speed. I hope Sonic gains some sort of "Uber-Warp Drive" in this new game, which allows him to by-pass the end of the stage and burst into the 5th dimension, all in 38/1000ths of a second! That would be so much fucking fun!
Chaos Control!!!

So yeah, already been there.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The dad thing is... that only in a few videogames I really like to play as Sonic:

In Sonic 1 of course is Sonic, cause is the only playable character!, in Sonic 2 my favorite is Tails, in Sonic 3, Tails again, in Sonic & Knuckles, it was Knuckles. In SA it was Sonic again, but only mostly because the other characters stages where shooting, fishing, running away, racing, and treasure hunt. You cant really blame them for the Fishing, almost every 3D japanese game from 1998 had fishing.

Sonic Cd was fun, even if I am not a fan of time travel...

Post SA... well... Sa2 is not that bad, Heroes sucks, Shadow really sucks, and so on...

Sopnic Rush Adventure was a decent 2D game, despite the fact the boss battles where in 3D. Stages in 2D, Bosssd battles in 3d, it seems a lot of people liked that...I did at least...

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Arcade wrote:The dad thing is... that only in a few videogames I really like to play as Sonic:

In Sonic 1 of course is Sonic, cause is the only playable character!, in Sonic 2 my favorite is Tails, in Sonic 3, Tails again, in Sonic & Knuckles, it was Knuckles. In SA it was Sonic again, but only mostly because the other characters stages where shooting, fishing, running away, racing, and treasure hunt. You cant really blame them for the Fishing, almost every 3D japanese game from 1998 had fishing.

Sonic Cd was fun, even if I am not a fan of time travel...

Post SA... well... Sa2 is not that bad, Heroes sucks, Shadow really sucks, and so on...

Sopnic Rush Adventure was a decent 2D game, despite the fact the boss battles where in 3D. Stages in 2D, Bosssd battles in 3d, it seems a lot of people liked that...I did at least...
I would actually agree with you if I understood how your father was related to all of this.

Wombatwarlord777

I think it's been said here before, but the original Sonic Rush was a lot similar to the Genesis games in that most stages required you to exploit gimmicks in order to progress through the act. It's sequel, on the other hand, is a "press-right-yay-you-win-the-game" marathon.

Plus, I admire that one well executed Special Stage in SR a lot better then all the vehicles of SRA.
Kogen wrote:
Arcade wrote:The dad thing is... [other stuff]
I would actually agree with you if I understood how your father was related to all of this.
My dad encouraged my Sonic habit by playing Sonic 2's versus mode with me. I'd always tick him off by repetitively pausing the game to increase my reaction time in the special stage course.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

RocketPunch wrote:What's the purpose of the "Speed is back" tagline? Where did speed go?
They clearly slowed Sonic down to ridiculous slowness in Unleashed. It was like Labyrinth all over again.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

I hope they release retro-style character art for this game.

So are we all pretty much assuming it will be 2.5D? As cool as HD sprites would be, I don't think Sega has the time/money/interest.

Even the Rush series has been 2.5D.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Yeah, from the trailer, it looks 2.5D.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

There're days I bemoan that the term 'sidescroller' never caught on.

Wombatwarlord777

My, this story just gets juicier and juicier all the time...

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/09/10/firs ... n-project/

Apparently, there are two Project Needlemouses in development... One of which is a fan-made effort, and one of which is something from SEGA...
Jono Forbes and Matt Schoen wrote...

We registered www.needlemouse.com to host our hobby project while we continue to collaborate over a long distance. (A quick Google search turned up no references or links to other games, so we — ironically — thought it would be a unique handle for the project.) We had no idea Sega was working on their just-announced Project Needlemouse. No kidding: a total coincidence. Our project officially began in early May although, as with many of our ideas, it had been “on the table” since long before and neither we nor the project have any connection whatsoever with Sega (other than being satisfied customers).

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:tssznews
Oh yeah, sure :roll: