All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Shadow Hog

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Shadow Hog »

It's $5 too high for my tastes - and that's coming from somebody who isn't all doom-and-gloom about the game.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I'm not really looking forward to this much but I think the price is fine. I'm a little confused about everyone bitching about it. I mean, in all likelihood the people complaining have probably spent well over 15$ buying frivolous things on Virtual Console or Live arcade(be it DLC or snes games) and probably buy 2 or 3 games a month as it is. Why makes this 15 purchase so offensive? The argument that there are full games available for less doesn't hold up when you consider these are already finished games that just needed to be ported. I'm not sure how much Sonic 4 cost to make, but I think it was probably more expensive than say, mario 64 was to port. I'll bet it was even pricier to make than, gasp, megaman 9.

Anyway, I doubt sega is trying to rip anyone off. The price is relative to the development costs of the game in order to turn a profit. Blah blah blah.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm going to pay more than that to get my hair cut today.

I think people who object to paying $15 for a game--almost any game--are completely kidding themselves. Maybe I'm just like your depression era granny who couldn't afford meat so they had to squeeze all their protein out of wheat gluten, but I remember when finding a good game in the bargain bin for $20 was an exceptional find. This game is brand new, and regardless of what it's true quality is, it's predecessors cost as much as $50. If I thought Sonic 4 was going to be a good game, or I'd have even close to the fun I had with the 16-bit titles, I would be a fool to let $15 stand in the way.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

G.Silver wrote:I'm going to pay more than that to get my hair cut today.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Good show g.silv.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Episode 1

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's about half as long as other recent 2D Sonics, and it costs half as much, so that seems about right to me.

Of course, a high-quality title like Sonic 4 would be a bargain at any price!

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Wasn't there a price announced early on in development that was far, far more reasonable or am I making that up in my head?

I swear I remember a price in the 3, rather than 4 digit price range being quoted.

I guess perhaps the extra development time made them decide to up the price to recuperate costs though. Boy, how being forced to actually make a good game can fuck up your budget planning!

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Are they charging $15 for each episode? Seriously?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

There's going to be, what, three episodes? At this rate, that's 12 Zones for 45 dollars. I... I guess that's OK. If the final release isn't broken, of course.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:Of course, a high-quality title like Sonic 4 would be a bargain at any price!

Seriously though $15 sounds fine.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather play $50 for a great game than $15 for a potentially lousy one--especially seeing that in this case you can't resell it after purchasing it.
K2J wrote:There's going to be, what, three episodes? At this rate, that's 12 Zones for 45 dollars. I... I guess that's OK. If the final release isn't broken, of course.
The inevitable disc release will probably cost $15 less than that.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I've already made a promise. If Takashi Iizuka, himself, sucks my dick, I'll buy this game.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Malchik wrote:I've already made a promise. If Takashi Iizuka, himself, sucks my dick, I'll buy this game.
And if you get Takashi Iizuka to suck your dick, you uhh, get a glimpse into what uhhh, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is really all about.
Ngangbius wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I would rather play $50 for a great game than $15 for a potentially lousy one--especially seeing that in this case you can't resell it after purchasing it.
You were planning to get resale value on a 15 dollar game that is lousy? Somehow this seems flawed in concept!

Personally I would have preferred them to do this as 'Sonic 4 prequel' just as a test (which is what it seems to be considering the 'fan input'), then have them do the real game. It is odd how spinoffs like Sonic Riders get bigger budgets than the company's biggest name sequel in over a decade. Even Nintendo games like Donkey Kong Country just go the full route and they are not nearly as popular (or good, rather).

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Even Nintendo games like Donkey Kong Country just go the full route and they are not nearly as popular (or good, rather).
The soundtrack is among David Wise's finest work.

That and the upcoming DKC Returns will be even better (overall) with Retro Studios behind the game.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I am not sold on DKCR, as it doesn't much resemble the series it's supposed to follow besides some gameplay elements. I'll miss the charm and ambiance of the originals.

I'm sure it'll sell well though, since they cleverly branded it a Country title anyway.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

CM August wrote:I am not sold on DKCR, as it doesn't much resemble the series it's supposed to follow besides some gameplay elements. I'll miss the charm and ambiance of the originals.

I'm sure it'll sell well though, since they cleverly branded it a Country title anyway.
The exact same could have been said of Metroid Prime while in development, though. Personally, I'm quite optimistic. Retro is a games studio I really respect and this is the second time Nintendo have taken a risk and entrusted them with the revival of a franchise. The screenshots are very encouraging.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

It would be very intereſting to ſee how we could react to new video game releaſes if we were into the franchiſes as much as we are into Sonic. If I look at theſe ſcreenſhots I think that ſome of those ſettings are a bit bland. The level where the foreground is compoſed entirely of ſilhouettes looks unique and aesthetically pleaſing. But would I think the ſame if I was a Donkey Kong Young, Attractive Man with Good Taste? Would I outcry that theſe levels fail to capture the eſſence of the original DKC games, lacking a certain ſpark that made them so magical in the firſt place? Would I diſmiſs the ſhadow level at ſunſet as being lazy and a poor excuse for an actual deſign, unworthy of carrying the name of a ſeries of games where the landſcapes were rendered to the fineſt detail and filled with vibrant colours and lush ſceneries?

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

The fact that we're not suggests to me that DKC was inferior pedigree to begin with.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I think it's a poor choice on Nintendo's part to release Epic Yarn and DCKR so close to one another. Money's tight everywhere and people are going to choose either-or. Incidentally, while my grammar's shit, I couldn't help wonder if something like "Donkey Kong Country Revisited" would make more sense. Did DK Island vanish for a period of time?

Also, PPA's posts read like has a lisp. It's oddly fitting.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

He only has it for half his S-'s, though.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crowbar wrote:S-'s
Okay, this is the most ridiculous pluralization I've ever seen. Good show, sir.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

CM August wrote:I am not sold on DKCR, as it doesn't much resemble the series it's supposed to follow besides some gameplay elements.
No, it looks better. But then I did significantly prefer Donkey Kong Jungle Beat to any of Rare's offerings. The soundtracks of the Country games still hold up very well though - Jungle Hijinx never gets old.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

CP, you took the words out of my mouth. From what little I've played of DKJB, I had more fun with that game than the first DKC, which I thought was pretty unimpressive. To be fair though, I haven't really played the second game which is supposedly the best one according to the fans. *shrugs*

And yes, the best thing that came from franchise were the soundtracks. I wonder who is composing for DKCR?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Kenji Yamamoto, the composer of, among many other things, Metroid Prime 1-3. He didn't compose for Other M for whatever reason (I like to think he felt it was a big pile of stink, too). Maybe Retro treats him better?

There's a faint hope that David Wise will be tapped now that he's freelance.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Donkey Kong has some real good content if you look hard enough.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DawnkeyKawn ... 1KLK_ya9yA