All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
cjmcray

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by cjmcray »

Kogen wrote:You are only a tru blu Sonic fan if your first game was Sonic Adventure 2: BATTLE.
haha
Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Hey man, growing up alls I had was a NES and a Genesis, the latter of which was bundled with Sonic 1. So it was my first one. Somehow we got Sonic 2 as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure I played them all in release order.
Same here, though I didn't bother with Mean Bean Machine.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Neo wrote:I have to wonder how many of our bitter, CLASSIC members actually played Sonic 1 first.
I have. It came with my Mega Drive. It's still my favourite of the series.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

cjmcray wrote: Same here, though I didn't bother with Mean Bean Machine.
Err, I wasn't counting any of the spin-offs. The pickings were slim growing up.

'Course a few gems did find their way onto our systems. I was a Clash at Demonhead fan eons before Scott Pilgrim made the scene.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Video of the Wii version. Apparently it's also a slightly newer build. The physics don't look nearly as fucked as they were when I played it (you actually gain speed when rolling!), some of the more useless boosters have been removed and the soundtrack has been souped up with some lovely new instrumentalization. Happy days!

Sorry, you can go back to your daily business now.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Cock-sucking unrolling.

Neo

Post by Neo »

j-man wrote:Video of the Wii version. Apparently it's also a slightly newer build. The physics don't look nearly as fucked as they were when I played it (you actually gain speed when rolling!), some of the more useless boosters have been removed and the soundtrack has been souped up with some lovely new instrumentalization. Happy days!

Sorry, you can go back to your daily business now.
Hmm. It looks better, but it still has enough problems to be a turn off. Three things, mainly: the whole "stop dead in mid-air" thing, uncurling after rolling off the floor and the old "sticky feet" problem which they somehow still haven't fixed.

I mean, it looks sorta okay, but then you go a few years back and play one of the Advance games and think, what the fuck. Curse those games' design however much you want, but why is it that they were able to have the correct physics then but not now? You get what I mean?

Dash

Post by Dash »

Well the one I played was the Xbox version(in a nice Sonic themed room no less- much like that hotel room that was talked about some months ago). It seemed about the same as this Wii build. Really it seemed okay, but just watch a quick playthrough like this and you'd see the kind of flow it's missing. Even a playthrough of an Advance game to a lesser extent. And that unrolling you in mid-air, forcing you to homing attack baloney... yeah.

I don't really plan on picking it up unless I hear some sterling reviews from you guys, because the rest of the internet's opinion on Sonic games is pretty shit. On the plus side though, looks like that guy took a totally different path to the end of the level than I did! It seems like they're honestly trying to understand how the old games worked and what made them work. Can't fault them for it, nor can I fault anyone for buying it due to that.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Neo wrote:I mean, it looks sorta okay, but then you go a few years back and play one of the Advance games and think, what the fuck. Curse those games' design however much you want, but why is it that they were able to have the correct physics then but not now? You get what I mean?
I absolutely do, mate, and believe me when I say it drives me up the fucking wall.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

DUUR DUUR DUUR
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
The acceleration looks a bit less infuriating, at least, but his jump still seems weirdly weightless by comparison.

The music sounds the same to me, not sure what you're talking about there, j-man. One thing I did notice is that the 1-up sound is from Sonic 3. Sonic 3! Not Sonic & Knuckles! How random is that?!

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Sonic is forever cursed with a loud spindash sound whenever he rolls now. Woe to him!

j-man

Post by j-man »

The tunes are the same, the instrumentation is markedly different. Ruby even said today that there will be changes to the soundtrack.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

UPDATE:
My suggestion would be to expect few to no physics changes, so that if or when you do notice any minor updates in the final game, you’ll appreciate them. I think this is better than people really expecting them to change too much, and conversely expecting something different than they get when they download it. Keeping expectations realistic is the key.
This quote insults the game enough, so no commentary.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

j-man wrote:The tunes are the same, the instrumentation is markedly different.
That's what I mean! It sounded no different! :( Maybe I need to relisten but it still sounded like the same fruity synths to me. If there was a difference then they just made them cheesier.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Kogen wrote:UPDATE:
My suggestion would be to expect few to no physics changes, so that if or when you do notice any minor updates in the final game, you’ll appreciate them. I think this is better than people really expecting them to change too much, and conversely expecting something different than they get when they download it. Keeping expectations realistic is the key.
This quote insults the game enough, so no commentary.
Can I get a source.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Kogen wrote:UPDATE:
It's never good when someone from Sega tells you to lower your expectations.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Malchik wrote:Can I get a source.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

man that is a really cool cubicle.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

That sure is an empty and depressing office though. It's probably only like five people work at Sega of America, including Ruby.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Well SEGA of America was removed awhile ago (for sucking horribly) and merged into SEGA of Europe, so it is the size it deserves to be.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Hahahahaha, i've heard that this has been going around in sigs on the official Sega boards:

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Tree-Dee model on the iPhone:

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Latest news from the front lines:
Interestingly, all levels in a zone are available for play upon unlocking the zone. Balough insists this will eliminate the arbitrary difficulty curve that has marred previous instalments by allowing you to select the levels you want to play, perhaps even avoiding ones that you have trouble completing.
We can only pray that this tragedy is over by Christmas.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

arbitrary difficulty curve that has marred previous instalments
YES! NATURAL, ORDERLY PROGRESSION THROUGH LEVELS IN A PLATFORMING GAME IS ARBITRARY. So now they're magically inventing problems for the PREVIOUS games out of thin air to cover their own ones now? Or does he have no clue what "arbitrary" means?

Either way, somebody please go deliver a fist across this idiot's motor mouth.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Sometimes I wonder why you guys are all so quick to assume the worst about Sonic Colours! Then I come over to this thread and I remember.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Gee, and here I thought they were taking fan feedback into consideration. Guess that prick, Ruby over at Sega.com, lied to us.