All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Malchik »

j-man wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFNIgxtLBho
I'm sure someone is itching to disagree.
Looks like shit.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Malchik wrote:Looks like shit.
How so?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

"Oh, you guys didn't like the mine cart? We're going to put it all over the trailer, just to remind you."

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Malchik wrote:
j-man wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFNIgxtLBho
I'm sure someone is itching to disagree.
Looks like shit.
Yeah, it looks like shit if you've had your eyes surgically glued into your anus. Honestly, I used to like coming to these forums because the members here demanded higher standards for the series than anywhere else. Lately however, some of you have started to take the piss with that. The video clearly shows that Sega has gone some way to address those issues which people found most jarring, whether that be the premise of the level itself, the running animation or whatever else. What's left may be an imperfect product in other respects, whether that be the remaining physics issues or the ever-present spring to speed booster to spring mechanic, but nevertheless any reasonable critique could not characterise the contents of that video as "shit". In many respects it looks fast and fun, it introduces new elements such as the torch gimmick, ball balancing, a wholly revamped mine cart section, and seems to pull these off reasonably well.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Pfft, lol. They barely showed any game play in this new video. Besides a jump over a ball and a 'bush button and win' homing attack, we have seen no footage to suggest that they even remotely updated that stomach churning physics from the e3 buid. The only rendition done I can see is they modified the running animation (still doesn't look right) and they made Sonic all glossy.

I'm sorry but I'm going to remain the biggest asshole here until I play this commercial game and feel I'm beta testing it.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

What is with the boring brick walls? Before we got placed stones, bird-face carvings, and general boulders on the deep inside.

The boost pad also still looks like someone just made a square in Photo Shop, coloured it red, then added cheap shading effects. Plus it looks totally out of place in that level (past games had boost-pads made to fit the level's art).

Robonik's model also looks terrible. I think it is the worst '2D' one I have ever seen.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

The only really negative thing I have to say regarding that video is that the sections where Sonic is running on top of a ball/boulder have some awkward looking animation. Other than that it looks fun enough to me. Nothing groundbreaking but I'm gradually getting the impression I'll at least "enjoy" playing this game.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

1) All the gameplay bits are cut so short that you can't really see anything. This is apparently an attempt to make the game look better, or at least less incompetent. It's like one of those visual tricks that makes your mind fill in the gaps with something better than reality. As recently seen on Gizmodo (though not a recently discovered phenomenon in the least): http://gizmodo.com/5627807/bubbling-tri ... yone-naked
2) Why are they still doing that thing where they show the animated models "interacting" on that shitty scrolling background? It looks like a fucking flash video made by a retarded 10-year-old.
3) I still have not seen anything to convince me that this game will not be shit.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

You know what bugs me?

Seeing Sonic chasing Eggman, only Sonic is in full profile and Eggman is in 3/4 view.

Alexrd

Post by Alexrd »

K2J wrote:"Oh, you guys didn't like the mine cart? We're going to put it all over the trailer, just to remind you."
They said the minecart will appear in the last part of act 3, but won't have any gameplay.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I enjoy the mine cart, and wish to see it in more levels and games.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Why not just make a game centering entirely around minecarts? Then you can die happy.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Alexrd wrote: They said the minecart will appear in the last part of act 3, but won't have any gameplay.
So it's like the homing attack. Ride cart and win.

Alexrd

Post by Alexrd »

Malchik wrote:
Alexrd wrote: They said the minecart will appear in the last part of act 3, but won't have any gameplay.
So it's like the homing attack. Ride cart and win.
No, it's like when you end the level and run to Robotnik.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I think the mine cart has a lot of potential. They can use it in place of a speed booster in underground levels, so with that it looks normal and does essentially the same thing, unlike that ugly boost pad most people hate.

The mine cart is also useful for the following:

- 2D/3D special stages
- boss battles
- cinematic modes (as in Sonic Rush Adventure; everyone professional says Sonic is like a rollercoaster)
- as a limited powerup, sort of like a super spin dash (as in Sonic 2 8-bit or Ice Cap Zone)
- as a multiplayer or mini-game mode, like the mobile games/Battle (Tail Concerto used a minecart effectively)
- an end level gimmick, similar to snowboarding in Adventure 1
- a simple opening gimmick, like City Escape
- being used to load items (such as bombs to remove a wall), activated with switches and pushed around
- used for moving puzzles, such as in a co-op mode or something similar to Sonic Heroes

Really you cannot go wrong with the mine cart. The only way I could see it being bad is if they used it in a rotating tilt-controlled level - or even worse, the same thing but with use of the L and R buttons.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

You're right in that the mine cart has a lot of potential, but I think the problem is that Dimps isn't going to implement it in a very interesting way. From the brief footage of the new mine-cart section so far, and of the general description of it's new role ("It's going to be used in a very short section of LLZ2"), I think there's going to be a mine cart simply for the sake of having a mine cart. And in that case, I wonder why they'd even bother with it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Kogen's point --->

Wombatwarlord777

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Kogen wrote:Really you cannot go wrong with the mine cart. The only way I could see it being bad is if they used it in a rotating tilt-controlled level - or even worse, the same thing but with use of the L and R buttons.
Good thing that's not happening!

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

RANDOM FACT: the rolling sound in Sonic 4 is accidentally the spindash sound.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Kogen wrote:RANDOM FACT: the rolling sound in Sonic 4 is accidentally the spindash sound.
They've been doing shit like this for years.

It started in Sonic Adventure when the "Emerald Get!" sound became the 1-up sound. That drove me mad.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

So I had the chance to play this today at PAX. Overall, it seems like it could be good, but it still has a ways to go. In fairness, this was the E3 build, and apparently they've tweaked a number of things since then, but the physics / speed / movement seems off. If you hold right, Sonic takes a long time to get going, which doesn't bode well for exploration. On the other hand, there're plenty of doodads to get you up to speed in most places you'd want to go fast. The impression I got from the level design is that it would be fun to play in one of the older Sonic engines, so that's worth something. There were a few more bottomless pits than there needed to be, but that's par for the course at this point AMIRITE?! Maybe they'll have tweaked it by the time the final version rolls around.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Is there any water in Splash Hill Zone?

I assume it has splashing.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I played Acts 1 and 3 and I didn't splash once. This game is horseshit.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

j-man wrote:This game is horseshit.
Finally, you're making sense.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crowbar wrote:It started in Sonic Adventure when the "Emerald Get!" sound became the 1-up sound. That drove me mad.
I immediately accepted when I learned you don't really "collect" Chaos Emeralds in the game and imagined how annoying it would've been to hear the first three seconds of Run Through the Speed Highway over and over and over.
j-man wrote:I played Acts 1 and 3 and I didn't splash once. This game is horseshit.
...So you've just been playing mindgames all these years? : (