All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Neo

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Neo »

I keep thinking this looks okay for a quick spin-off game, then I remember it's called Sonic the Hedgehog 4. At this point I look at Sonic 3, then Sonic 4 again, then Sonic 3 once more and finally Sonic 4 again before a part of me dies inside.

I'm hoping it's just an appendix.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

With the title Sonic 4, Sega should know we expect this title to be a game we can pick up and play for years to come. But of course they made this game for young kids and adult autistics.

I'm prying this game blows me out of the water and makes me feel stupid for questioning it. It won't though.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Malchik wrote: I'm prying this game blows me out of the water...
Sonic the Bivalve.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

This is new. And, knowing what we know about Sega, pretty unexpected.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/19/so ... og-part-i/

They actually changed animation, gameplay mechanics, level design and something else that will be in part 2 from *GASP* listening to (sometimes not so much) constructive criticism!

I kinda like the music for Lost Labyrinth. It has a nice Phantasy Star 2 feel to it. I like that in my music.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Huh.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Neo wrote:I keep thinking this looks okay for a quick spin-off game, then I remember it's called Sonic the Hedgehog 4. At this point I look at Sonic 3, then Sonic 4 again, then Sonic 3 once more and finally Sonic 4 again before a part of me dies inside.

I'm hoping it's just an appendix.
You can call a pile of crap a banana split and it's still a pile of crap.

Opa-Opa:
This change is a smaller one that probably only the biggest fans will take note of
Yes, if you're not one of the "biggest fans" then we reckon you're not supposed to be alert enough to notice or appreciate your character's animation (supposedly) not looking stupid. Right? Because it's not like anyone was meant to give a shit in the first place before we went to all this trouble, what's wrong with that?

Man, if they had not pushed the release way back in the first place, they'd (probably) be singing the praises of what they had already ended up with. The Sega Blog is the Sega Blog. The writers are on the company's payroll, you think they're going to use that space to find fault with their own merchandise? (without sounding apologetic, that is)

If I sound like i'm getting pissy about a little promotion work, it's not unreasonable, I think, when most of the marketing for this game has borded on insulting. Look at the way Capcom handles their advertising of late (and coincidentally the way most of their releases turn out) and you might begin to get a sense of how bumbling these folks at Sega appear to be at handling this game in comparison. Let's see: would I be more interested in games marketed by people who act like they have some solid confidence in the very thing(s) they're shilling, or games from people whose PR department "promises" to release information of varying pointlessness only after leading fans around on a leash for a bit. "Send us a bunch of crap and maybe we'll show you something"? Do I want big updates or little updates? Excuse me?

The really cute part, BTW, was showing a screenshot from an entirely different installment, then mumbling about rebalancing something while shying away from any specifics, when just a minute ago they were more than happy to get meticulous. Oh, this is just a wink and a nudge to people who already know about this mystery segment, that it was "fixed"? Oh ok. Not that this information is useful to anyone else then, but I guess this game must not be for them, right Iizuka-san?

and lol, alledging that the wall chase was unfair

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Double-post disclaimer: yeah that kinda sucked. I felt like ranting, it had been a while; and there's only so much you can do to market a crappy game. But i'm getting tired of seeing Sega PR act like idiots.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I hate it when a company decides to directly address and solve problems with their product to please a minority within the consumer base. What a bunch of arseholes.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It kind of feels like they purposefully lowered everyone's expectations so they wouldn't have to work nearly as hard to surpass them.

In other words, my M.O. throughout public school.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Opa-Opa wrote:This is new. And, knowing what we know about Sega, pretty unexpected.

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/08/19/so ... og-part-i/

They actually changed animation, gameplay mechanics, level design and something else that will be in part 2 from *GASP* listening to (sometimes not so much) constructive criticism!
I liked the news. And no, I'm not going to waste my time complaining about how they adress the purists and critics.
Opa-Opa wrote:I kinda like the music for Lost Labyrinth. It has a nice Phantasy Star 2 feel to it. I like that in my music.
I agree. Finally I can enter Sonic 4's website and not turn off the music.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Little Big Updates

Also, I thought the people who asked for stuff like the fixation of the running animation were elitist swine only fit for the gallows?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think they're trying with this one. I really think they are. I'm just not sure if that's going to be enough!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Kogen wrote:Also, I thought the people who asked for stuff like the fixation of the running animation were elitist swine only fit for the gallows?
If thinking Sonic shouldn't walk bolt-upright at high speeds necessitates my death, then so be it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Kogen wrote:Also, I thought the people who asked for stuff like the fixation of the running animation were elitist swine only fit for the gallows?
^ More or less what I thought when I read the second paragraph.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I kinda feel sorry for the poor PR guy who has to find a sweet spot between positively portraying a poor, by-the-numbers subpar product developed by talentless hacks desperately trying to ape old-ass games, and the schizophrenic Sonic (the character) fan community's requests versus the Sonic (the games) fan community's ones.

To put it bluntly: I do like the changes they made. But neither Naka nor Yasuhara nor Ohshima ever gave a fuck about what it was people wanted in a game in order for it to be good and original, they just went and did what they knew how to do best.

Picture a neurosurgeon hack doing a shitty job on some loser's brains, then some Wikipedia-dwelling bystander telling him what it is he is blatantly doing wrong. Or, you know, that one Simpsons episode.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I also enjoy the changes they made.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

This game does seem to have been made with the "designed by marketing committee" philosophy.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

It's still the E3 build! That'll all be fixed before release, right guys?

...guys?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I really like how the loops from Sonic 2 are automated with a static speed and they disable the spinning animation in them.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

That was horrendous. It doesn't even deserve this comment, but I'm going to hit submit anyway.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

But at least Kogen's avatar looks great.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

It's not a glitch! It's Sonic's hitherto unmentioned ability to stick still on curved inclines.

It's like Spider-Man's ability to climb walls, but much less useful!

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

And I was trying so hard to be optimistic about it... thanks, Kogen.