All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Zeta »

From what I've seen(and I haven't seen the leaked gameplay videos either) I don't think it looks that bad but I don't think it looks particularly great either. Some of the complaints being made seem valid but a lot of them seem really nitpicky.
Agreed. It looks OK. It's not the end of the world or Sonic Heroes/Shadow the Hedgehog. It looks about as good as New Super Mario Bros Wii. I'll probably like it better, actually.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

My beef isn't that it looks like a step down from Sonic and Knuckles... it's that it looks like a step down from Rush Adventure. SRA was my favourite 2D Sonic since the classics, and -- I thought -- a sign that Dimps had finally learned how to design interesting, relatively well-balanced stages. I was excited to find out their next project was a more "important" Sonic game... one that would surely benefit from higher production values and increased development time. I mean, this one would be even better, right?

Right?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

If they made it more like Sonic Rush Adventure 3, people would complain it's too much like Sonic Rush.

They tried to make it more like the old Sonics, but since it's made by DIMPS, people still complain it's too much like Sonic Rush.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Esrever wrote:My beef isn't that it looks like a step down from Sonic and Knuckles... it's that it looks like a step down from Rush Adventure. SRA was my favourite 2D Sonic since the classics, and -- I thought -- a sign that Dimps had finally learned how to design interesting, relatively well-balanced stages. I was excited to find out their next project was a more "important" Sonic game... one that would surely benefit from higher production values and increased development time. I mean, this one would be even better, right?

Right?
I'm pretty much in the same place. If Sonic 4 was like Rush Adventure but with classic badniks and no dash meter or aerial tricks I'd be psyched. As it is now though, I think I'd rather have those than the homing attack. I've not watched all of the videos so I can't really comment on the stage design, but I think that kind of thing is hard to judge without actuallly playing it.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Tweaker wrote:On a totally unrelated note, I think the other thing a lot of people don't consider is that a lot of the shit our sites do is... pretty fucking illegal. It's a wonder none of us have been shut down considering the degree of things we do. I'd say a little bit of cooperation ensuring our future survival can't be the worst thing in the world either.
Tweaker wrote:Well, the main issue here is the the leak was done primarily by a member of our forums. Actually, all of the leaks for the game have been from members of our forums. I dunno about you, but solid correlation or otherwise, that paints us a pretty clear reputation as "those guys doing the leaks," regardless of whether or not we actually endorse them. I think if a site has a reputation for leaking SEGA's intellectual property on a consistent basis that SEGA would be less willing to work with them. But that's just my rationale; you may see things differently.
I'd say this is not about having illegal/leaked shit. It's about being coherent. Why haven't you guys at Retro started that anti-piracy/leaked material policy before? Why now?

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I would assume that it is hard to justify the site being anti-piracy/leaks when it is based upon a site built around a stolen copy of Sonic 2's beta. Perhaps they should be clear they have nothing to do with that site any further, which is what I assume most people still consider the site to roughly be.

Just for example, I think many people only have an interest in Sonic Retro for the leaks. I doubt they care about the community.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

Well, I can't talk about others but the reason I joined Retro 2 years ago, was because of the big Sonic community, the lack of young and immature fanfic kids, and the mods and hacks. But since I'm on PA for over two years (for no good reason), I just lurk around from time to time...

Actually, that's why I'm here. Since the news about Sonic 4 came out, I became interested again and decided to join here, since I can't post on Retro.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I'm more curious about what these "plans" could possibly have been, and why it's still seemingly impossible to say what they were even though they're now all apparently terminated anyway.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

(watches the boss rush)

...who's menstruating all over the internet now?
Opa-Opa wrote: I think the main reason you guys are watching this videos is that Sega hasn't released proper trailers or gameplay videos, only those bad edited tiny videos with 3 seconds of gameplay. It's kinda like they know people will say it's crap.
This, basically.

As for my biggest gripe about this game ...is not the fact that it's got plastic "GBA cover" visuals, rigid physics, broken game mechanics and insulting music ("who are you and what have you done to Senoue?!"), but the fact that on top of all that, it's got the guts to appear on the market with FOUR LEVELS.

..."episodic content" was done before: Sonic 3 & Knuckles had six enormous levels in the first episode, and it got bad rap from day one since it seemed like such a significant step down from Sonic 2 and its huge array of worlds to explore.

Nitpicking or not, everyone's standard for Sonic games had dropped really, really low.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

IT LOOKS AWFUL

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

...goddamn final boss tune, it's been like 60 minutes already, please leave me!

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

(No Imagination) wrote:bad rap
You mean this?

Jokes aside, I don't remember Sonic 3 ever getting a bad rep back in 94. Counting the acts... Sonic 3 has 6 x 2 = 12 acts, Sonic 4 has 4 x 3 = 12 acts. Same old, same old. The difference is that it's now we know that there will be an Episode 2.

And, c'mon, everyone who's dissin' this game in SONIC FORUMS are gonna buy it.
Zeta wrote:It's not the end of the world or Sonic Heroes/Shadow the Hedgehog.
Hey, Sonic Heroes IS good. You guys are crazy.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Opa-Opa wrote:And, c'mon, everyone who's dissin' this game in SONIC FORUMS are gonna buy it.
Hello, I have the sense to not buy something I don't like the looks of, fuck you, that is all.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

He has a point, though. Lately "boycott" means "raise a huge ruckus over something and then buy it regardless". Look at Left 4 Dead 2 or PC Modern Warfare 2, perfect examples.

Personally, I was gonna get it anyway, since what little I've bothered to watch didn't look incredibly offensive. Subpar, yeah fine, but nevertheless more like what I want than Unleashed was.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'm not buying this fucking game and shame on anyone who does.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Hey, fuck you too, bud.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

FlashTHD wrote:Hello, I have the sense to not buy something I don't like the looks of, fuck you, that is all.
Segaholic2 wrote:I'm not buying this fucking game and shame on anyone who does.
That makes three of us, then. This game isn't even really the worth the low entry price, and I'm not giddy over the blue hedgehog for some sub-standard entry in the Advance series(when it should have been modeled after the classic games) when fangame makers can do a much better job at recapturing the classics than Sonic Team/Dimps and for free too.

Though the Sonic fanbase in general seem to have very low standards for years now that they will settle for something that is just "OK with some questionable design choices" instead of something truly memorable(in a good way) and excellent. It's probably why the franchise will still be the butt of many jokes for years to come.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Ngangbius wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:Hello, I have the sense to not buy something I don't like the looks of, fuck you, that is all.
Segaholic2 wrote:I'm not buying this fucking game and shame on anyone who does.
That makes three of us, then. This game isn't even really the worth the low entry price, and I'm not giddy over the blue hedgehog for some sub-standard entry in the Advance series(when it should have been modeled after the classic games) when fangame makers can do a much better job at recapturing the classics than Sonic Team/Dimps and for free too.

Though the Sonic fanbase in general seem to have very low standards for years now that they will settle for something that is just "OK with some questionable design choices" instead of something truly memorable(in a good way) and excellent. It's probably why the franchise will still be the butt of many jokes for years to come.
You forgot to use the word "fuck".

+1. Fuck.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Haha. Wow. You guys are nerdy as fuck.

I'm gonna buy it. If it's no fun, I'll do something else. I can't get my head around people saying that is an example of rabid fanboy dedication, themselves utterly tangled in self-righteousness and an overbearing sense of entitlement over an electronic jaunt through the fantasy land of a dead mascot. Let's not take sides, here; in the grand scheme of things, I'm hardly making excuses for this game by giving it seven pounds and a couple hours of my time. There are far, far greater things to worry about.

It's all dust in the wind, man.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's DLC. There will be a demo. Everyone will get a chance to play this before buying it!

You'd think that'd make them try harder!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

All I'm saying is the game looks poor from everything we've seen so far, which is pretty much all of it now. Worse than that, it's been marketed to people like us, older Sonic fans, in a disingenuous light. The game's creators have obviously not attempted any more than aping the series' previous designs and stylings, rather than truly going back to Sonic's roots or whatever, or even trying to understand what made the original gameplay good. This is all painfully obvious from the videos. I even suspect the only reason that Sonic is the sole playable character was to lower development time and costs. The development of this game as apparent to us outsiders seems rushed.

Conclusion: I don't spend my money on bad things. It's not any more complicated than that, as you seem to be trying to imply. I don't pay to watch bad movies, I don't pay to eat bad food, I don't pay to own bad games. That's all.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Popcorn wrote:IT LOOKS AWFUL
POPCORN POSTED AND NOBODY NOTICED

I NOTICED, POP

NICE POST

j-man

Post by j-man »

I suppose it's all cultural. As an Englishman, I crave disappointment.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

But isn't Popcorn an Englishman too? It doesn't seem like he's buying it either. :^)
Neo wrote:You forgot to use the word "fuck".
Ok, how's this?

Anyone who fucking complains about this game, but fucking buys it anyway, and fucking complains some more about the fucking game they just fucking paid are fucking pathetic.

Happy?

j-man

Post by j-man »

Popcorn drinks coffee. He doesn't count.