All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rob-Bert

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Rob-Bert »

...uh....what?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

...uh....nothing

seriously, everything has been said about this little info we have received about the new plastic wonder of a game called Sonic FORE, whats left to do is wait for new info for me to review and tear apart.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Dr. Watson wrote:critics and the general gaming public has deemed Sonic games to be fundamentaly unable to work in 3D when in fact Sonic Adventure got good, nay, great reviews when it first came out and everyone was all like "Yay, Sonic is awesome again!".
Because the press are parrots and I suppose they can't find the time/care to lend a constructive criticism rather than whining about their pet peeves ("GRR NO CHARACTERS"). Reviewers who aren't like this, sadly, tend to be worse (two words: Dave Halverson).

Hype for SA1 in 1999 WAS huge and I only recall one mag at the time (NextGen or something) giving it less than glowing marks. I also have quite fond memories of playing the game's demo in various stores and seeing a crowd gather behind me at its' awesomeness.
But of course, only Sonic Team themselves can be blaimed for this point of view coming into existence, since they over the years somehow seemed to gradually forget how to make a Sonic game work in 3D. And i honestly still cant comprehend how this came to be. Like, how is it even possible that anyone thought the controls in Heroes or Shadow worked better than the controls in the Adventure games? No matter how much i read about where and why Sonic Team went wrong i just cant seem to make sense of it.
Well, the Shadow game finally did nail the face button arrangement right (Jump, Shoot, Context Action/Slide or Spindash, Trigger Chaos move). Beyond that, yeah. I've long been baffled by their sudden inability to program analog movement sensitivity properly at all. Used to be, I think, at least you'd have some middle ground between "jog" and "accelerate full blast". Now they tend to make it like "creep along", "walk", then "holy bajesus hang on to your butts".

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Wow. Dasher, reading your posts and attempting to make any sense out of 'em is akin to trying to solve a puzzle without half the pieces while being inside a gigantic blender.

Oh, and please google "tl;dr". And "paragraphs".

As for player control and other stuff in the 3D games, I just zoomed through the entirety of Adventure, this time with a proper Dreamcast controller and at the very least decent framerates, and while I should also replay Shadow a little in order to make a more accurate comparison, I kinda came to the conclusion that camera work is generally much less wonky in Shadow, and the collision detection regarding, say, the floor and/ or all surfaces you can use to travel about is also better. On the other hand, while on Shadow I found myself running full steam ahead towards a botomless pit, only to abruptly change direction and hit an enemy or some other environmental hazard, in Adventure I just came to a screeching halt. Like, very frequently. While the fact of sometimes accidentally stopping dead on my tracks isn't precisely good, I like it much better than keeping all the momentum when drifting towards another direction, which is also much more dangerous.

And it goes without saying that I enjoyed this fifth or sixth complete playthrough almost as much as ever, which is leaps and bounds above Shadow or Heroes. Being able to blaze through the scenery, with no mandatory bot bopping, is something that should always remain a possibility (not just the only fucking thing to do) in a Sonic game in order for it to be a proper, true Sonic game.

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

For those (like me) who hated the running animation, here's what SEGA has to say.

Ok, I will only judge the final product...

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Okay, that video? To me, that's just what's wrong with the fandom condensed into video form. Not just the fact that the only work done to the logo was removing "lawl green eyez sawnik" with "AWSUM 1991 SOONIKKU"'s head, resulting in him having giant-ass manhands, and not just that all said person did was synth up the Sonic 4 music to the opening little "shing" from Sonic CD (the JPN version, no less).

I might as well get this increasing irritation out of the way now, so...

*deep breath*

IT'S A FUCKING GAME. NOT THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS, AND NOT THE GODDAMN APOCALYPSE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T FUCKING BUY IT!

That is all.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wow. Dasher, reading your posts and attempting to make any sense out of 'em is akin to trying to solve a puzzle without half the pieces while being inside a gigantic blender.
Wow. you are as dull as a door knob.
IT'S A FUCKING GAME. NOT THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS, AND NOT THE GODDAMN APOCALYPSE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T FUCKING BUY IT!
People like you is what leaves the world in the condition is in.

Shit eaters.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Okay, that video? To me, that's just what's wrong with the fandom condensed into video form. Not just the fact that the only work done to the logo was removing "lawl green eyez sawnik" with "AWSUM 1991 SOONIKKU"'s head, resulting in him having giant-ass manhands, and not just that all said person did was synth up the Sonic 4 music to the opening little "shing" from Sonic CD (the JPN version, no less).

I might as well get this increasing irritation out of the way now, so...

*deep breath*

That is all.
I love you!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Not just the fact that the only work done to the logo was removing "lawl green eyez sawnik" with "AWSUM 1991 SOONIKKU"'s head, resulting in him having giant-ass manhands
This this this this goddamnit this. Thank you. It looked to me like they chopped the head off their other picture and slapped it straight overtop.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

And I love how everyone's saying "wow i love this tune it sounds so much better!!!" when it's the exact same melody with a couple more layers of synth over it. Like, no effort was made into arranging a new tune whatsoever. The guy just wanted it to sound like Sonic CD and not like a Megadrive game. That's cool though, I guess?

Jesus, the fanbase for Sonic is so damn weird. I mean, thinking that the new games are horseshit is a fair shout. But why are so many people so misguided in thinking that they can do better? And why do nearly all their attempts at doing "what sega SHOULD have done imho tbh" equate to slightly editing someone else's existing work and calling it their own?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The thing I don't follow is the whole mindset that if a game sucks then everything about it sucks, and if a game is awesome then everything about it is awesome. The title screen and its music are both fine.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Yeah, I don't quite like the original tune and his arrangement isn't much better, but overall it isn't really "appalling", not by a long shot. I think I actually like it better than Sonic 3's title screen BGM (I like many things better than Sonic 3's title screen BGM).

Also:
Dasher wrote:Wow. you are as dull as a door knob.
no u

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Everyone just calm down and look at some lolicon in the flowers.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Let me die watching fantasies of a better world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZsQ-16Y ... onse_watch

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Dasher. You need help. Like, seriously.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Get out of my face noob!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I'm not in your face. I'm an interminable number of miles away from you, sitting in front of a computer screen that's connected to the internet.

Like I said, you need help.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

d'awwwwwwwwwwwwww

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/ben ... onic4-rant

This guy sums up some general observations.
Kogen wrote:Everyone just calm down and look at some lolicon in the flowers.
But it makes my boner RAAAAGGGGEEEE!!!!

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I hate you all.

Except Dasher.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Radrappy wrote: I mean, is there some other big budgeted console game being made at the same time right now?
Sonic's 20th anniversary is next year, so.. probably.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Benzaie rules!

Oh god, Sonic's 20th anniversary...its been two decades already? yeah one decade of Gold the other of Crap.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Dasher wrote:Oh god, Sonic's 20th anniversary...its been two decades already? yeah one decade of Gold the other of Crap.
Yeah, because G Sonic and Sonic Drift were awesome.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sega used to have and sell their own videogame consoles, it also had a big share of the market, unlike today. For many reasons, the Nineties was Sega gold era, even if their downfall started with the Saturn Failture, it was the decade that had the born of Sonic, Sega beating Nintendo in the 16-bit market, and other things to be proud.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

So where did that dildo-faced, Hello Kitty reject Sonic image come from?

The one people keep pretending is of classic Sonic, despite him looking like a fruitcake with no smirk.