All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Radrappy »

I'm still extremely baffled by the aesthetic choices being made here. Why isn't there grass? Why does everything look so flat and lifeless? I'm sorry but not even Sonic Advance felt like the world was made out of cheap plastic. How can they afford to let Sonic the Hedgehog 4, the successor to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 look so budgeted and phoned in?

I mean, is there some other big budgeted console game being made at the same time right now?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I feel you Rad, some people actually think that is the best Sonic Team can do, and that WE should be satisfied with it.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Anyone read the "Intro" section in http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.com?
But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins...
So I'm guessing the Death Egg will be back. Or Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2. Or...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

You know what would be hilarious? The boss to each zone being a Metal version of each of Sonic's least liked friends. Now that would be catharasis.

Metal Shadow
Metal Charmy
Metal Big
Metal Silver
Metal Amy
Metal Cream
Metal Princess Elise
Metal Marine

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:Metal Princess Elise
Constantly abducted by Eggrobo and you have to figure out to destroy them both simultaneously?

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Opa-Opa wrote:Anyone read the "Intro" section in http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.com?
But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

And so a new Adventure begins...
So I'm guessing the Death Egg will be back. Or Mecha Sonic from Sonic 2. Or...
Or Motobug.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Zeta wrote:Metal Shadow
Metal Charmy
Metal Big
Metal Silver
Metal Amy
Metal Cream
Metal Princess Elise
Metal Marine
This is the best idea I've heard, ever.

But I bet if it actually happened Sega would then have the real deals come and smash the Metal versions just before Sonic does and play it as a really "epic" reintroduction of the characters. :(

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

You forgot Metal Froggy.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPwGmB8M ... r_embedded

I think it's safe to say, that everything about this is light years ahead of Sega's attempt. With the alternative title screen Sonic art too, it makes you feel a little cheated!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

b_boult wrote:With the alternative title screen Sonic art too, it makes you feel a little cheated!
It looks crap.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Actually that is also awful.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Well to avoid opening a can of worms with a question about Sonic's design, what exactly the issue with this remix? As far as I can tell, it seems to satisfy most of the criteria for a classic title screen piece, with an upbeat, catchy, recurring melody. Is it the intruments that are the problem or what?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I really don't see what the hell is so bad about the title screen music to begin with.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Ditto. I realize it sounds very generic and common-synth, but the notes themselves are fine.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

b_boult wrote:Well to avoid opening a can of worms with a question about Sonic's design, what exactly the issue with this remix? As far as I can tell, it seems to satisfy most of the criteria for a classic title screen piece, with an upbeat, catchy, recurring melody. Is it the intruments that are the problem or what?
The problem is this is a retrogression in the series that is by and large being celebrated across the Internet. And I expect Sega to keep this series stagnant for the foreseeable future and I'm not sure if anyone will protest.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

The last time they tried to give us something new, we had Sonic running around with a sword. And before that we got him turning into a monster. And before that we got a game starring his "dark" rival swearing and using guns.

Do you REALLY want them to attempt "innovating" again?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

WaffleKogen wrote:PENIS
Hmmmmm......

I don't think that video makes it sound any better, but I don't really have a problem with the theme in the first place. I'm just pretty damn apathetic about Sonic 4 so far, except the inclusion of the homing attack worries me a bit. The "Episode 1" bit threw me off at first, but if it's the right price ($10-$15 I'm guessing?) and both fun and long enough then I don't have a problem. Hopefully, they'll take whatever reasonable criticism is offered about Episode 1 and try to fix it for the other episodes.

Hopefully.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Rob-Bert wrote:Do you REALLY want them to attempt "innovating" again?
As opposed to the same stagnant shit over and over? They can't get anything new done otherwise regardless of the risk.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

b_boult wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPwGmB8M ... r_embedded

I think it's safe to say, that everything about this is light years ahead of Sega's attempt. With the alternative title screen Sonic art too, it makes you feel a little cheated!
WIN

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

FlashTHD wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:Do you REALLY want them to attempt "innovating" again?
As opposed to the same stagnant shit over and over? They can't get anything new done otherwise regardless of the risk.
I wonder if Sega stuck with one of its less innovative ideas for a second go if they could refine it enough to make it good. Look at Assassin's Creed and Uncharted. The second games were huge improvements over the first ones.

It's been said here that the problem with most Sonic games isn't just that they have bad premises, but that they were executed poorly. I wonder if they stuck with a style for a while if they could get it right. They haven't done that since Sonic Adventure 2. There's mixed opinions on Secret Rings, but I was really looking forward to a sequel. They could fix a lot of the problems of the first one. They could increase development time and make it a bit longer, refine the controls, make it more accessible from the start, etc. Then they made Black Knight.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

First of all: About Sonic the Hedgehog 4... i have'nt been able to spot anything that looks like a bad omen in the trailer, because whenever i watch it i just loose myself in that feeling that comes when years and years of built up, boiling nerdrage transforms into sweet sweet nerdgasms.

But second of all: It's strange how both fans (well, the more jaded ones anyway), critics and the general gaming public has deemed Sonic games to be fundamentaly unable to work in 3D when in fact Sonic Adventure got good, nay, great reviews when it first came out and everyone was all like "Yay, Sonic is awesome again!".

But of course, only Sonic Team themselves can be blaimed for this point of view coming into existence, since they over the years somehow seemed to gradually forget how to make a Sonic game work in 3D. And i honestly still cant comprehend how this came to be. Like, how is it even possible that anyone thought the controls in Heroes or Shadow worked better than the controls in the Adventure games? No matter how much i read about where and why Sonic Team went wrong i just cant seem to make sense of it.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

What happens is that there 2 kinds of people in this world, those who don't give a shit about anything and like to swallow shit and those who do notice every detail don't take shit from anyone and want to do something about it.

Sonic Adventure 1 was still good one because Oshima was still in it (but in Sa1 it was also Iizukas directing so you can tell he placed a bunch of shit like his beloved shooting experience only it was OK in that game cuz you know Gamma was cool), I'm sure you noticed that even the music is still classic sounding, then SA2 came and they started changing lots of things the shooting aspect came in the form of Eggman and...Tails? that's right Tails was now bound to a mech (a wtf moment for me but it was still understandable and OK i guess) But Knuckles was over run with rap, Sonic had an intro level with lyrics...well it was only one level so it was ok, never happened again i guess, the music was not that bad either. SA2 had a better Chao garden, remember we had those VU memory card Pet things. and it had tons of extras rivaling the great SA1 in terms of goodness, but you could tell something was going off something was fading (that's right Oshima and other people were beginning to leave, Sonic Shuffle was his last game and thus the surreal dreamy side of Sonic was lost forever). Then came Heroes, oh boy this was totally Iizuka and was given to a USA division (Naka always just sat there and watched, he called the level designer useless when in fact he was the useless one, He wasn't but he sure acted uselessly too) He turned Sonic into an obnoxious prick and all the other characters too, he brought back Chaotix characters only to claim they are new characters (made em ugly and boring), he revived Shadow, he made a new useless Gamma type robot, he made Amy hornier, He brought back Big, Placed useless cream in there, Made Knuckles a sidekick, and worst of all turned the badass Metal Sonic into a lizard and a stupid villain who could turn into liquid. It was the lamest game ever, the game play seemed like wow at the time but no, it was awkward too over whelming and did I mention he removed all traces of Badniks? he replaced them with the lamest excuse for badniks ever, Eggpawns! they are not even half as cool as the EGGROBO they looked like shit. Then this stupid lazy director Iizuka decided to make one of the worst games in history of mankind, SHADOW the Hedgehog! Need I say more? Iizuka loves shooting things and he loooves Shadow, so what do you get? his abominable love child! Shadow using realistic (or unrealistic guns) not only it looked like shit but it has the same UGLY Sonic Heroes Models in it, how lame is that? a dark game with those glossy pieces of shit from Heroes, it looked like crap and played like crap, and to makes matters worst it sounded like crap as they fired all the good voice actors and replaced them with 4kids voice actors from the greatest anime butcher in America. The games just continued to be mediocre, the Sonic 2006 came and the famous Yuji Naka left Sonic team in the mist of creating this awful game the supposedly father of Sonic left Sonic team and left Iizuka and noobs in charge, the result? a crapfest of a badgame! So you see, Sonic game have been getting worst, they have been degenerating after SA1 came, that Sonic 4 game is what we needed after lets say SA2, but to put it out now is like an insult, and besides it still looks like a glossly Sonic Heroeseque pile of crap. (return of badniks is the only redeeming factor I see) But Sonic is now hated mainly because of Iizuka and friends as Iizuka wants to makes Sonic his own he said it himself in Heroes hes a retard just look at his face on previous pages.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Dasher wrote:What happens is that there 2 kinds of people in this world, those who don't give a shit about anything and like to swallow shit and those who do notice every detail don't take shit from anyone and want to do something about it.

Sonic Adventure 1 was still good one because Oshima was still in it (but in Sa1 it was also Iizukas directing so you can tell he placed a bunch of shit like his beloved shooting experience only it was OK in that game cuz you know Gamma was cool), I'm sure you noticed that even the music is still classic sounding, then SA2 came and they started changing lots of things the shooting aspect came in the form of Eggman and...Tails? that's right Tails was now bound to a mech (a wtf moment for me but it was still understandable and OK i guess) But Knuckles was over run with rap, Sonic had an intro level with lyrics...well it was only one level so it was ok, never happened again i guess, the music was not that bad either. SA2 had a better Chao garden, remember we had those VU memory card Pet things. and it had tons of extras rivaling the great SA1 in terms of goodness, but you could tell something was going off something was fading (that's right Oshima and other people were beginning to leave, Sonic Shuffle was his last game and thus the surreal dreamy side of Sonic was lost forever). Then came Heroes, oh boy this was totally Iizuka and was given to a USA division (Naka always just sat there and watched, he called the level designer useless when in fact he was the useless one, He wasn't but he sure acted uselessly too) He turned Sonic into an obnoxious prick and all the other characters too, he brought back Chaotix characters only to claim they are new characters (made em ugly and boring), he revived Shadow, he made a new useless Gamma type robot, he made Amy hornier, He brought back Big, Placed useless cream in there, Made Knuckles a sidekick, and worst of all turned the badass Metal Sonic into a lizard and a stupid villain who could turn into liquid. It was the lamest game ever, the game play seemed like wow at the time but no, it was awkward too over whelming and did I mention he removed all traces of Badniks? he replaced them with the lamest excuse for badniks ever, Eggpawns! they are not even half as cool as the EGGROBO they looked like shit. Then this stupid lazy director Iizuka decided to make one of the worst games in history of mankind, SHADOW the Hedgehog! Need I say more? Iizuka loves shooting things and he loooves Shadow, so what do you get? his abominable love child! Shadow using realistic (or unrealistic guns) not only it looked like shit but it has the same UGLY Sonic Heroes Models in it, how lame is that? a dark game with those glossy pieces of shit from Heroes, it looked like crap and played like crap, and to makes matters worst it sounded like crap as they fired all the good voice actors and replaced them with 4kids voice actors from the greatest anime butcher in America. The games just continued to be mediocre, the Sonic 2006 came and the famous Yuji Naka left Sonic team in the mist of creating this awful game the supposedly father of Sonic left Sonic team and left Iizuka and noobs in charge, the result? a crapfest of a badgame! So you see, Sonic game have been getting worst, they have been degenerating after SA1 came, that Sonic 4 game is what we needed after lets say SA2, but to put it out now is like an insult, and besides it still looks like a glossly Sonic Heroeseque pile of crap. (return of badniks is the only redeeming factor I see) But Sonic is now hated mainly because of Iizuka and friends as Iizuka wants to makes Sonic his own he said it himself in Heroes hes a retard just look at his face on previous pages.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Dasher wrote:What happens is that there 2 kinds of people in this world, those who don't give a shit about anything and like to swallow shit and those who do notice every detail don't take shit from anyone and want to do something about it.
I had no idea there were so many scatophagists.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Only 2 kinds of people in this world Cowards and Brave people, Cowards tend to hide behind jokes and shit like you two.