All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Kogen »

Zeta wrote:I suspect the homing attack is in the game to justify the inclusion of more aerial routes to deal with the gameplay that Tails and Knuckles are more familiar with, and to give Sonic access to those routes via strings of enemies.
I am going to disagree with you here, m9t. Sonic could normally bounce off a set of enemies to do that if they did the physics right.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Crazy Penguin wrote:What's the source for Iizuka being involved?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Kogen wrote:
Zeta wrote:I suspect the homing attack is in the game to justify the inclusion of more aerial routes to deal with the gameplay that Tails and Knuckles are more familiar with, and to give Sonic access to those routes via strings of enemies.
I am going to disagree with you here, m9t. Sonic could normally bounce off a set of enemies to do that if they did the physics right.
Even in the original Sonic games, I found it impossible to do this, especially compared to Mario's goomba stomping, which was more controllable.

He looks just as clueless as I've always pictured him.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

What were his works before he joined Sonic Team?

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Dasher wrote:What were his works before he joined Sonic Team?
He invented the glory hole.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Ah yes, now everything makes sense.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I wouldn't want to use a glory hole made by Iizuka. He'd probably procrastinate and throw something together at the last minute, and you'd get splinters because he didn't drill all the way through.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

This is about what my face looked like when I saw Sonic 4, too. Maybe he does get it!

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Zeta wrote:
Kogen wrote:
Even in the original Sonic games, I found it impossible to do this, especially compared to Mario's goomba stomping, which was more controllable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4M1n_gV_4E

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Zeta wrote:Even in the original Sonic games, I found it impossible to do this, especially compared to Mario's goomba stomping, which was more controllable.
You're also the guy who thinks that Sonic's ideal control scheme requires, like, 8 buttons.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

3 buttons (Plus pause and start) is all you should need for a Sonic game...

What shit is this?, they say is classic sonic but has a move that was introduced in Sonic Adventure because the spin atack was shit in 3D! Oh cowpie!

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

G.Silver wrote:Image

This is about what my face looked like when I saw Sonic 4, too. Maybe he does get it!
:lol:

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Arcade wrote:3 buttons (Plus pause and start) is all you should need for a Sonic game...

What shit is this?, they say is classic sonic but has a move that was introduced in Sonic Adventure because the spin atack was shit in 3D! Oh cowpie!
I would say a 2 button controller is enough. How anyone gets 8 buttons is like sooo Iizuka.

And I actually agree with what you said. :) Besides the whole comma thing.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Oh, Iizuka-san!!

In other news, the next site update is counting down to 18 hours from now.

Blount

Post by Blount »

It says "INTRO". I could see the word being obscured by the counter while the page was still loading.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Kogen wrote:
Arcade wrote:3 buttons (Plus pause and start) is all you should need for a Sonic game...

I would say a 2 button controller is enough. How anyone gets 8 buttons is like sooo Iizuka.

And I actually agree with what you said. :) Besides the whole comma thing.
The original Genesis controller had 3 buttons, saying you want 2 button wouldf make them think you liked the Master System Sonic game....

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

While I freely admit I haven't been this excited about Sonic since he was announced as a playable character in Smash Bros. Brawl, my feelings about the game can be summed up pretty well by what UK:Resistance said:
We’re probably supposed to be excited about this, but we’re going to hold off on the exclamation marks until we know who’s doing the development. There’s a chance it’s been outsourced to Backbone Entertainment, and we don’t want to be excited about something that’s going to turn out shit with button presses that lag half a second behind the action.
Note that nowhere on SEGA Japan (or SONIC CHANNEL) is there even a hint about Sonic 4 (yet). In short, I'm in the "I'm interested, but PLEASE don't let it suck" camp.

This could be the biggest risk SEGA has taken with the franchise since they decided to give that 2006 abortion the same name as the original game.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Risk? Is a 2D game, it plays like the Genesis games (Somewhat), it only has Sonic, and is divided in "episodes", is probably will be a downloable game, I think this is the safest thing Sega has done in ages!.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Yes, because basically retconning every game released after Sonic & Knuckles is always a safe thing to sure, sure, yeah, we'll go with that.

Porting the original Sonic 1 Genesis game would normally be considered a safe bet too, and look what happened to that.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Yes, because basically retconning every game released after Sonic & Knuckles is always a safe thing to sure, sure, yeah, we'll go with that.

Porting the original Sonic 1 Genesis game would normally be considered a safe bet too, and look what happened to that.
Is has been safe in making Sega getting money... yes, even the GBA version...

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Its funny on the video how they skip from 1994 to 2010, took them that long to get it right? and still.

Oh boy.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I haven't watched the clip yet, but i'm more relieved than anything else that it's not mediocre while cheesily dragging a cruise liner load of old designs and artwork into the mess. The sight of green eyes Sonic made me laaaaaugh knowing all the outbreak of butthurtt that had to have broke out. Ugly ass renders all-around though, which is the only thing that suprised me much, even if the level looked about as tepid as the concept art suggested.

I'll probably feel more irritable about this game later, or once they show real gameplay for a change, but really, if there is reason to suspect general incompetence at work, then that's not shocking to me either and it is exactly why (practically since the earliest suggestion of it) I would have preferred not seeing the game exist at all.
Yami CJMerl wrote:basically retconning every game released after Sonic & Knuckles
Did they not explain that this is only supposed to be a mid-quel set after S&K? I guess that's how they plan on justifying the title.
Last edited by FlashTHD on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

The game is not outsourced to something like Backbone if Iizuka is on it. I am sure it is being made in Japan within SEGA.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Kogen wrote:The game is not outsourced to something like Backbone if Iizuka is on it. I am sure it is being made in Japan within SEGA.
Iizuka directed both Sonic Rivals games.

Backbone is still a possibility to dread, but (though this prolly doesn't mean anything either) I almost forgot about the likelihood of Dimps until I saw japanese writing in the concept art.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

FlashTHD wrote:
Kogen wrote:The game is not outsourced to something like Backbone if Iizuka is on it. I am sure it is being made in Japan within SEGA.
Iizuka directed both Sonic Rivals games.

Backbone is still a possibility to dread, but (though this prolly doesn't mean anything either) I almost forgot about the likelihood of Dimps until I saw japanese writing in the concept art.
Well I would go with DIMPS. Iizuka is currently in Japan.