All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by Opa-Opa »

I was a lot more excited about Sonic Unleashed than this. Doesn't it kind of feel like they have nothing done, and are just trying to hype it up when they actually know they will never fulfill our expectations?

Sammybeany
*sniff*
Now Playing: Parcheesi

Post by Sammybeany »

You know what shits me?
(animated)

That was a pretty dirty trick to play, Sega.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

A third party made that trailer. Sega should only be blamed for not passing on any information to them.

As for the game in general, I'm looking forward to it. I know all the purists on Retro and some here are disappointed, but since I got into the series after the 90s, I guess I don't have such high standards.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I don't think I've ever seen a game with a life counter that goes into triple digits.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Fixed

:D:
Attachments
jyukyuk.jpg
jyukyuk.jpg (127.12 KiB) Viewed 6942 times

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

While cleaning my anus in the shower, I was kind of thinking... why is this so half-assed compared to After Burner Climax? Something made in 2006 that looks perfect for making an HD sequel to an old franchise.

Certainly money and talent are not being used here in comparison.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Waggle controls? bwahahaha

Homing attack? Oi.

Episodic format? Ugh.

Download only? FFFUUUU--

Aaaand the Sonic cycle lives on.
j-man wrote:Irrelevant. This isn't some forgettable spin-off (puns lol) or a storybook adventure or some other tosh. This is the sequel to Sonic 3.
Esrever wrote:Dude, it's just a name. They could have attached it to anything. I mean, sure, it's "Sonic the Hedgehog 4"! And Sonic 2006 was "Sonic the Hedgehog", and it was the worst Sonic game ever made.
Exactly. This seems more like Sonic Advance for Ps3/360/Wii.

But at least we don't have to worry about the camera angles!
Last edited by cjmcray on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

While cleaning my anus in the shower, I was kind of thinking... why is this so half-assed compared to After Burner Climax? Something made in 2006 that looks perfect for making an HD sequel to an old franchise.

Certainly money and talent are not being used here in comparison.
Talent left Sonic Team years ago.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I just remembered a post from a few pages back.
Kogen wrote: G Sonic HD Remix

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Called it.

Well, hopefully this will be as good as the Rush games, at least.

I'm calling right now that Tails is unlockable in Episode I, and Knuckles is unlockable in episode II.
j-man wrote:Irrelevant. This isn't some forgettable spin-off (puns lol) or a storybook adventure or some other tosh. This is the sequel to Sonic 3.
Hahaha.
I've yet to play NSMBW so I'm still not sure what everyone's so upset about,
New Super Mario Bros DS was Super Mario Bros 1 with 3-D graphics and some inconsequential additions.

New Super Mario Bros Wii was Super Mario Bros 3 3-D graphics and some inconsequential additions.

I wanted a Super Mario Bros that built on what was seen in World, and we didn't get it by a longshot.
Even the Advance and Rush games were smart enough to avoid that. S
Sonic had the homing attack in both the Advance and Rush games. It was just useless because you had to be right on top of an enemy before it would trigger, anyways.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

P.P.A. wrote:I just remembered a post from a few pages back.
Kogen wrote: G Sonic HD Remix
Thank you. ZETA is trying to pretend he called it.

Also Iizuka is making it. Lose all hope now.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'm actually hoping the homing attack works better than in the DS and Advance games. It was truly and utterly useless there, to the point where I can see how you forgot it was even put in. Sonic had to be about 1 body length from an enemy and in the air before the game would register you as being close enough to use it. Otherwise you would just air-dash into the enemy and die.

I suspect the homing attack is in the game to justify the inclusion of more aerial routes to deal with the gameplay that Tails and Knuckles are more familiar with, and to give Sonic access to those routes via strings of enemies.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

People need to stop talking about Sonic Rush. It was not that good. It also looked nothing like this.

Hey Zeta, fuck off, man. Sorry that I almost started getting excited about this new Sonic game on this Sonic forum but I forgot we're all grown up now and not allowed to like anything anymore because being an irrascible, obstinate cunt is the new black. Stop pretending you won't buy it "just to see how shitty it is".

HAY GUYZ THIS 3-SECOND TRAILER IS SHIT I CALLED IT!! THANKS A LOT SEGA FOR SONIC RUSH 3!! See, I'm joining in!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I never said it was asinine or looked bad. What's asinine is making a value judgment on a game before it's release because of the title. I like the homing attack - if anything one of my complaints about the DS and GBA games is that the homing attack didn't work well enough. I think it looks OK.

While I didn't like Mega Man 9 or New Super Mario Bros, the main reason I didn't like them both is because we're still getting good Mario and (mostly) good Mega Man games with some actual innovation. To give up innovation in the name of nostalgia is retarded. Aside from Rush 1, Rush 2, and Secret Rings, we haven't gotten a good Sonic game since 2001, so there's significantly less worry about needless backpedaling in innovation to appease the children of the '80s and '90s.

The only thing that has me concerned is that Iizuka is on the team, and Iizuka should be the Japanese word for failure.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Zeta wrote:What's asinine is making a value judgment on a game before it's release
This is what everyone is doing and it makes me sad ;__;

Going off-topic, how could you put up with Secret Rings? I slapped it on the other day just to see if I was wrong about it all along, but it is infuriating at best and unplayable at worst. All I hear is good things but I simply cannot enjoy it.
Last edited by j-man on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

What's the source for Iizuka being involved?

j-man

Post by j-man »

There's something about a podcast with him on the website. Naturally, everyone's losing their shit over it.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

j-man wrote:Going off-topic, how could you put up with Secret Rings? I slapped it on the other day just to see if I was wrong about it all along, but it is infuriating at best and unplayable at worst. All I hear is good things but I simply cannot enjoy it.
The close proximity to the 2006 game's release, I guess.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

j-man wrote: Going off-topic, how could you put up with Secret Rings? I slapped it on the other day just to see if I was wrong about it all along, but it is infuriating at best and unplayable at worst. All I hear is good things but I simply cannot enjoy it.
The stupid thing about Secret Rings is that you have to unlock the better controls by leveling up. The early parts of the game can be needlessly frustrating and slow because of this. Once you get the better abilities, you can use them in the earlier stages though, and the game's flow and brilliance start to become more apparent.
This is what everyone is doing and it makes me sad ;__;
But it goes both ways. Unconditional excitement because of the title is just as silly as random hate.
There's something about a podcast with him on the website. Naturally, everyone's losing their shit over it.
He does have the opposite of Midas's golden touch when it comes to projects. Part of that is because of SEGASammy's retarded deadlines (make a great game for a new console in 12 months, and we'll ship it in December if it's done or not!). Part of it does seem to be genuine incompetence, though.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

j-man wrote:Going off-topic, how could you put up with Secret Rings? I slapped it on the other day just to see if I was wrong about it all along, but it is infuriating at best and unplayable at worst. All I hear is good things but I simply cannot enjoy it.
I gave up when it took around 30 minutes of remote wrestling just to defeat five enemies.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

He does have the opposite of Midas's golden touch when it comes to projects. Part of that is because of SEGASammy's retarded deadlines (make a great game for a new console in 12 months, and we'll ship it in December if it's done or not!). Part of it does seem to be genuine incompetence, though.
I'm putting it on genuine incompetence. Rushed product or not, a year is a long time for a retro styled game (I just found out that every classic Megaman title including 7 was made within three months) and it's clear that it just comes down to having made some bad decisions at an early stage of development. I mean, Sonic Advance and Rush are very solid and polished products, and the Advance games especially seem to have been banged out rapidly.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I suppose the episodic format is to deal with Iizuka's incompetence in being able to manage around deadlines, then.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Segaholic2 wrote:Image

"Coming summer 2010 PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, WiiWare and ???"

PC release?

NEW SEGA CONSOLE??

DREAMCAST2 CONFIRMED
Probably an iPhone port.
Segaholic2 wrote: Also, click "Featured" under Characters on the sidebar. Welp,
Maybe it's..

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

j-man wrote:People need to stop talking about Sonic Rush. It was not that good. It also looked nothing like this.
Actually, I realized why Sonic's running animation looked so awkward and off-putting in the Sonic 4 trailer. It's because his design and animation from a 2D perspective looks almost exactly like what was used in Sonic Rush, and it looked awful in that game too.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

I'm really not sure about it. The only thing I really don't like is his running animation.

Has anyone else noticed they used the Sonic 2 Beta sprites for the trailer?