All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by FlashTHD »

(No Imagination) wrote:shifting focus from Sonic's friends to his enemies looks like a nice start.
Recycling a 17-year old badnik is a "tease", not indicative of anything close to a "nice start". This game is still coasting on mostly hype at this moment.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Yep remember Sonic06, that's all I gotta say...I just hope the "feature freak" in SonicTeam gets fired.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

What's it like inside your head, I wonder.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

FlashTHD wrote:
(No Imagination) wrote:shifting focus from Sonic's friends to his enemies looks like a nice start.
Recycling a 17-year old badnik is a "tease", not indicative of anything close to a "nice start". This game is still coasting on mostly hype at this moment.
Mostly?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I've been sitting on this for a while, but "we can't please everyone" reminded me of it. All together now: shun the tyranny of the vociferous. (that guy goes a little over the top with his examples but you can skip to page 3 and get the point)
TL;DR - the Furries killed Sonic? Duh.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

The badnik is too visually cluttered for my taste. Also, a red crab robot is possibly the most predictable enemy they could have come up with, if we exclude the egg pawns.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Looks no worse than the range of badnik design in Sonic Adventure, which were excellent. It's good to have them back.

Maybe next time they'll reveal that an animal pops out when you defeat them!

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:
I've been sitting on this for a while, but "we can't please everyone" reminded me of it. All together now: shun the tyranny of the vociferous. (that guy goes a little over the top with his examples but you can skip to page 3 and get the point)
TL;DR - the Furries killed Sonic? Duh.
Well relevant to this discussion, I was thinking the paragraph I quoted.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

CM August wrote:Looks no worse than the range of badnik design in Sonic Adventure, which were excellent. It's good to have them back.

Maybe next time they'll reveal that an animal pops out when you defeat them!
It has been a while. Definitely an essential part of the Sonic flavour.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Ah yes, when was the last time we had animals inside the robots? I cannot remember.

The question now is...how will Mr.Blue look? My hope is for Sonic 1997, 2D or 3D. Sonic was at his peak in Sonic Jam and Sonic R IMO, then SA 1999 came and was the beginning of a new era and blah, blah, blah.

I'm getting too old for this.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I never quite understood what the hell Sonic is doing in that first image from Sonic Adventure. I mean, he's got his arms through under his legs and his throwing fingers everywhere... is that some street slang gang sign thing I have no knowledge about?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Y'know, I have to admit... it never really made sense to me, either. I just sort of went with it, because, well, "sweet, new Sonic game? And it's in 3D? And it's prettier than any other console game on the market?"

Otherwise... well, it's pretty much the embodiment of the new Sonic design, being hip and edgy. So much so, you can easily tell they've scaled back from it since.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Dasher wrote:I'm getting too old for this.
Good, then stop frigging whining
Opa-Opa wrote:I never quite understood what the hell Sonic is doing in that first image from Sonic Adventure. I mean, he's got his arms through under his legs and his throwing fingers everywhere... is that some street slang gang sign thing I have no knowledge about?
Looks to me like a super-stylized take on the old spinning pose, but who knows. Of course this was back when there was seemingly nothing stopping Uekawa from getting wild and creative with the promo art designs (remember Sonic with the boombox and big headphones?); back then I thought it was freaky, but I liked it. I think we already talked about that style of his mellowing out too much since then, but his monthly calendar sketches on Sonic Channel still seem to have a hint of the old kick.

(Even in '99 I thought the game itself looked weird, the way the character models were)

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

*sigh* you think that's whining? you're so immature.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

On a different note, We need more of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmxRHiNh ... re=related

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Come on, cut it some slack. If this doesn't at least "indicate" a "nice start", what would? It's a "start" of revealing game features and after 8 years of soulless enemy robots recycling a 17 year old badnik with actual personality goddamn looks like a "nice" one to me.

And no shit it's a tease and it's hype - it's a Sonic game. It's always been about that stuff for new Sonic games.
The question now is...how will Mr.Blue look?
Judging from the silhouette, he'll be completley redesigned.

(...and end up looking so horrible everyone'll be glad they at least got the badniks right. Or something.)

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Dasher wrote:*sigh* you think that's whining? you're so immature.
Dasher, everyone in here thinks it's whining. You only do it in every thread ever and drag the topic completely off-course when you do it. There's nothing immature about thinking the truth.

Also, can we have the edit button back? It's clear he's now circumventing it by triple-posting every other goddamn post.

Neo

Post by Neo »

(No Imagination) wrote:And no shit it's a tease and it's hype - it's a Sonic game. It's always been about that stuff for new Sonic games.
Remember when we actually had footage or screenshots of the game to comment on?

(No Imagination)

What I remember is a certain grining black Sonic logo.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Dasher wrote:The question now is...how will Mr.Blue look?
I predict he will be a combination of the new and classic designs. Maybe he will have classic body proportions, but with subtle green eyes as seen in the Unleashed model.

I'm more concerned as to who is making this. Seeing that the concept art has Japanese writing I guess we can assume that this isn't being outsourced to a Western company.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Ngangbius wrote:
Dasher wrote:The question now is...how will Mr.Blue look?
I predict he will be a combination of the new and classic designs. Maybe he will have classic body proportions, but with subtle green eyes as seen in the Unleashed model.
About this, I had an epiphany last night.

First, recall what Integrated Alchemy claimed:
SEGA came to Integrated Alchemy Media without a game, without a title, without a logo, without a character
Now, that picture has been deleted since then (why?) but on page 1, P.P.A posted somebody's comparison with the teaser logo with the Sonic 1 title screen. It lined up damn near perfectly. See a smaller version archived on Google here. (should be bottom left)

Conclusion: Either Integrated Alchemy is lying, or the only thing that has ever suggested old short fat Sonic with any certainty is reused graphics and methinks some Sucker!Sonic fans are bout to get owned hard.

(No Imagination)

Now, that picture has been deleted since then (why?) but on page 1, P.P.A posted somebody's comparison with the teaser logo with the Sonic 1 title screen. It lined up damn near perfectly. See a smaller version archived on Google here. (should be bottom left)
Thanks for the link, that side-comparison was very educative. Felt like a sobering shower and stuff.

So Sonic 1 HD, huh? ...but where would Shellcracker come into all that..?

...Sonic 1+2 HD?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Eh, they re-release the originals too often for that. But at any rate, sonic1hd.jpg was the filename.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Shadow Hog wrote:Also, can we have the edit button back?
After months years of procrastinating, I've finally looked up and hopefully configured this properly. Users should be able to edit all their posts at any time now. The limit was set to 5 minutes.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Dasher wrote:Ah yes, when was the last time we had animals inside the robots? I cannot remember.
Wasn't it the first Adventure? Can't remember about Adventure 2.
FlashTHD wrote:Of course this was back when there was seemingly nothing stopping Uekawa from getting wild and creative