Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Opa-Opa » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm

I finally played the demo today and had lots of fun too. The AI is a bit hard though.

I was kind of expecting at least one track for each character, It's a bit disappointing that it's just Sonic, Jet Set Radio, Sonic, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic, House of the Dead and Samba de Amigo and Sonic. I was really expecting to see Plaleaf or any other Fantasy Zone level as a track in glorious 3D, or something from Alex Kidd's world or a retro sci-fi track based on Space Channel 5. Unfortunately the name of the game is SONIC and Sega All Star... Oh well, can't have everything.
User avatar
Opa-Opa
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:14 am
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Esrever » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't have a problem with nine Sonic tracks. I can even understand why those nine tracks had to be set in three standard environments.

But man, if three is all you can do... why on earth would you pick all of them from Sonic Heroes? Sonic flippin' Heroes! Not the most recent games. Not the classics that everyone loves. Nine entire tracks from a game from 2003!
User avatar
Esrever
Drano Master
 
Posts: 2981
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:26 am

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Opa-Opa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:08 am

Yeah, that IS pretty weird. I wouldn't mind if they threw in some Mystic Cave or Sky Sanctuary Zone in there.
User avatar
Opa-Opa
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:14 am
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Blank » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 am

Yeah the Heroes tracks were just an odd choice. They were pretty big and easy to replicate because of their already flat roadway designs I guess.

Played the Wii version at a friends house, and was pretty surprised to see that the game looks pretty similar to its HD counterparts just without the fancy lighting effects and such. Framerate drops were pretty common, but not enough to ruin the experience.

I actually like how the items are just good enough and not too gamebreaking besides the all-star move. I do think the variety could've been better with them though. Wheres the JSR spraypaint cans? I also turned up the music like most people here it seems, it was just too quiet.

Overall its a fun game that I enjoyed more then Mario Kart, but has a lot of room for improvement. Specifically with the tracks, as pretty as they are.
User avatar
Blank
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:16 pm
Now Playing: PSO2

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Kogen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Apparently SEGA executives were really faggots about this game and demanded no Genesis music (that is bad and old!), Sonic Heroes stuff only (that is popular and making new textures is expensive!), only kiddy characters (this has to appeal to families who never played a SEGA game before!), and so on.

Primary research on what to add to the game also involves asking random toddlers with big flash cards about which things to add - like characters. So a person dumber than your average chimp (literally) decided a lot of the game's IPs.
User avatar
Kogen
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:34 pm
Location: Mount Zion
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Shadow Hog » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Kogen wrote:Apparently SEGA executives were really faggots about this game and demanded ... Sonic Heroes stuff only (that is popular...!)

It is?
User avatar
Shadow Hog
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:21 am
Location: Location: Location:

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Radrappy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Shadow Hog wrote:
Kogen wrote:Apparently SEGA executives were really faggots about this game and demanded ... Sonic Heroes stuff only (that is popular...!)

It is?


If we're going by worldwide sales at this point, yes.
User avatar
Radrappy
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 10:53 pm
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Kogen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Well the Mac Donalds here replaced their toy room with Sonic Heroes cabinets. I do not think the Mac Donalds would use unpopular games.
User avatar
Kogen
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:34 pm
Location: Mount Zion
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Dash » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:28 am

Heroes is also the game with the best median art style; New enough to be part of the post SA games and retro-looking enough to make casual older fans happy. I can see their reasoning. Even so, when a Winter Olympic game provides a broader spectrum of Sonic fan service than a game that should be a Sega Smash Bros. of kart racing, something is a bit strange.
User avatar
Dash
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 2:01 am
Location: Somewhere between "here" and "there"

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Kogen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 am

Dash wrote:Heroes is also the game with the best median art style; New enough to be part of the post SA games and retro-looking enough to make casual older fans happy. I can see their reasoning. Even so, when a Winter Olympic game provides a broader spectrum of Sonic fan service than a game that should be a Sega Smash Bros. of kart racing, something is a bit strange.

Well the game exists to be sold to 'casual families', not people who play SEGA games.
User avatar
Kogen
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:34 pm
Location: Mount Zion
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby FlashTHD » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 pm

Kogen wrote:
Dash wrote:Heroes is also the game with the best median art style; New enough to be part of the post SA games and retro-looking enough to make casual older fans happy. I can see their reasoning. Even so, when a Winter Olympic game provides a broader spectrum of Sonic fan service than a game that should be a Sega Smash Bros. of kart racing, something is a bit strange.

Well the game exists to be sold to 'casual families', not people who play SEGA games.

Like "casual families" will know who the hell Opa-Opa is, and so were the Olympics games which are selling staggering numbers.
User avatar
FlashTHD
*sniff*
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Out of earshot
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Kogen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:57 pm

FlashTHD wrote:
Kogen wrote:
Dash wrote:Heroes is also the game with the best median art style; New enough to be part of the post SA games and retro-looking enough to make casual older fans happy. I can see their reasoning. Even so, when a Winter Olympic game provides a broader spectrum of Sonic fan service than a game that should be a Sega Smash Bros. of kart racing, something is a bit strange.

Well the game exists to be sold to 'casual families', not people who play SEGA games.

Like "casual families" will know who the hell Opa-Opa is, and so were the Olympics games which are selling staggering numbers.

I'm Opa-Opa, who the hell are you?!

I am just saying that SEGA management was very restrictive on the IP-use in the game. They only allowed stuff they assumed would attract random kids/parents. Sumo apparently had much better stuff they would have added if allowed to do so.

What this has to do with a game developed on another continent by another team, I know not.
User avatar
Kogen
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:34 pm
Location: Mount Zion
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Dash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 am

Nothing really. Just that the Olympic games had some stages ranging from S&K's Sky Sanctuary to SA2's Radical Highway, and even had a "Sonic on Ice" segment that had references to many games in the franchise, which is honestly more than I expected them to do with such a game. All-Stars Racing on the other hand is built for this kind of thing, but Sumo didn't really get to go all out. I guess the only point here is that SEGA management is being sensible, but kind of lame!
User avatar
Dash
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 2:01 am
Location: Somewhere between "here" and "there"

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Neo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 am

Dash wrote:S&K's Sky Sanctuary

Wait, what?
User avatar
Neo
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Neo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 am

Okay, apparently there's a level called "Sky Gardens" which has nothing at all to do with Sky Sanctuary, but does play the stage's tune.

So basically, they can rehash any stage from Sonic Adventure onwards, but concerning classic games, they either use Green Hill Zone or just make stuff up.

Egg Lavapolis Zone!
User avatar
Neo
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Shadow Hog » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:10 am

That would be the best stage ever
User avatar
Shadow Hog
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:21 am
Location: Location: Location:

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby K2J » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am

Neo wrote:So basically, they can rehash any stage from Sonic Adventure onwards, but concerning classic games, they either use Green Hill Zone or just make stuff up.


Blue Ridge Zone!
User avatar
K2J
 
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: An insane asylum in west Pennsylvania.
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Brazillian Cara » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Jade Hill Zone.
User avatar
Brazillian Cara
 
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:30 pm
Location: On a never-ending quest to change my avatar.
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby gr4yJ4Y » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 pm

I think they've withheld doing 3D references of old 2D levels because bringing them into 3D would require too much creative direction for Sumo.

Maybe Sega will let them do it for a sequel.
User avatar
gr4yJ4Y
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:14 am
Location: Crescent Knoll
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Yami CJMErl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 pm

It can't be THAT hard, though--what about the SA2 and Brawl iterations of Green Hill?
User avatar
Yami CJMErl
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Western New York

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby G.Silver » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:03 am

Sumo also did a pretty decent GHZ in Sega Smash Tennis or whatever that was. The Sonic levels really lend themselves to 3D pretty well (the visual style is certainly not the reason level design in 3D has been difficult to get right).
User avatar
G.Silver
Drano Master
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 12:58 am
Location: warshington
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Opa-Opa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:10 am

I think it's just laziness. I agree that Sonic Heroes does cover most of the spectrum of the Sonic zones but they could at least have had new tunes for the levels.

Apparently there's some Whale Lagoon level that's probably from Sonic 2k6.

I just think they should have one for each character, that would be the logical thing to do. There's like 6 or 7 Sonic characters anyway.
User avatar
Opa-Opa
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:14 am
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby gr4yJ4Y » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 am

G.Silver wrote:The Sonic levels really lend themselves to 3D pretty well (the visual style is certainly not the reason level design in 3D has been difficult to get right).


-_-

Nonetheless, if you already have 3D models for a level, there's that much less work to do on updating the graphics, right?

Like other people have been saying, of the somewhat more recent (that is, in the last 10 years) 3D Sonic games, Heroes has a more traditionally Sonic art style.
User avatar
gr4yJ4Y
 
Posts: 1366
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:14 am
Location: Crescent Knoll
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby P.P.A. » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Apparently there's some Whale Lagoon level that's probably from Sonic 2k6.

Why did they pick the most generic, boring, and soulless stage in all of Sonic 06? They could have taken Kingdom Valley instead, Crisis City, or Aquatic Base, these would have made for neat racing courses!
User avatar
P.P.A.
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 am
Location: Rhineland
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Postby Radrappy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 pm

P.P.A. wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:Apparently there's some Whale Lagoon level that's probably from Sonic 2k6.

Why did they pick the most generic, boring, and soulless stage in all of Sonic 06? They could have taken Kingdom Valley instead, Crisis City, or Aquatic Base, these would have made for neat racing courses!


those were all equally soulless. How is that you manage to bring up how much you like Sonic 06 in practically EVERY fucking topic? It definitely deserves some kind of award.
User avatar
Radrappy
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 10:53 pm
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

PreviousNext

Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron