Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I'm curious as to why you liked Shadow more than Heroes.
I couldn't stomach the horrible plot and mise en scène as much as the next guy, yeah, but gunning down enemies was, most of the time, optional (not to mention generally faster than beating 'em). This does not equate to the game having a nice pace, at all, but it was ever so slightly better in my eyes.

But that's all. Horrible sound, outrageous camera non-control, fugly character models... Digital Circuit and Mad Matrix looked kind of cool, though. And The Doom and Lost Impact's BGM were pretty appropriate, too. But that's it, yeah.

Edgerock

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscjFq37x3Q&fmt=22

New trailer. Knuckles, Billy Hatcher, Beat, and Alex Kidd all confirmed.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Every time I see Billy Hatcher, I just lose interest.

Who said they wanted Billy Hatcher in this game?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I really hope there are a few classic racing game stages in here. I probably already said that... but really, it'd be nearly criminal for them to not do that.

Oh, and I don't care for Billy Hatcher, either. Game really wasn't that great.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

As i thought, sonic heroes is the 1st official child of iizuka and is now the genesis of sonic games according to him and thus reference to his "glorious" 1st game shall be made known forever.

that egotistical a-hole

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Dasher wrote:As i thought, sonic heroes is the 1st official child of iizuka and is now the genesis of sonic games according to him and thus reference to his "glorious" 1st game shall be made known forever.

I never know what the fuck you're talking about.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I know, I'm an enigma.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Shadow Hog wrote:I really hope there are a few classic racing game stages in here. I probably already said that... but really, it'd be nearly criminal for them to not do that.
Not to mention the car from Outrun or the dude from Crazy Taxi. Hell, a hovering mech from Virtua Fighter could possibly be awesome.

If this game plays well, it could be a very pleasant slice of nostalgia.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I really don't like how Sonic's car is shaped like him, even the headlights are shaped like his eyes, its so...ugh i dont know the word to describe it.

I like his car in Sonic Drift now that was a car!
Attachments
78e75a2b97dda126572203b12a46a579.png
78e75a2b97dda126572203b12a46a579.png (68.5 KiB) Viewed 9073 times

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Really, was that hard to have Sonic "be played like a car" like in Sonic R, instead of him driving a car?

What? Would make the game too easy? Just make him more really fast and be hard to control.... and you are done...

Neo

Post by Neo »

Arcade wrote:Just make him more really fast and be hard to control
oh wow

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

So... basically Unleashed? He's unarguably really fast, and arguably very, very hard to control.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Yeah, that's what sprung to mind.

Wombatwarlord777

...And he was too hard to control even in Sonic R!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

So it's Arcade's fault the franchise has sunk so low.

Wombatwarlord777

I'd wager he's a double agent hired by somebody with a serious grudge against Sega. Naota Oshima, perhaps?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:...And he was too hard to control even in Sonic R!
Am I the only one who didn't have any trouble with that game's controls? He just controlled like a car - acceptable for a racing game. Unleashed controlled like a car, too, only far, far less controllable, and in a platformer, where failure actually means something.

Wombatwarlord777

Shadow Hog wrote:Am I the only one who didn't have any trouble with that game's controls? He just controlled like a car - acceptable for a racing game.
Maybe, but most of the time, the only thing preventing the player from hurtling off the course is a guardrail, wall, or some other obstruction. The difference in traction between the 2-D Sonic games or the Sonic World hub, and Sonic R is pretty boggling, especially considering that most of the characters did run on foot.

And who says that loose, car-like controls define the racing genre? The versus modes of Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure 2, as well as the Mario Kart series overall, all have tight controls, and are better for it.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:...And he was too hard to control even in Sonic R!
Dirty stinking lies.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Just make Sonic adventure 1 or 2 all over again call it adventure 3 and that's it....wait.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:And who says that loose, car-like controls define the racing genre? The versus modes of Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure 2, as well as the Mario Kart series overall, all have tight controls, and are better for it.
Sonic 2 and SA2 are not racing games. They are platform/action games where you can sometimes race.

And modern Mario Karts may have tight controls, but go play the SNES game again sometime. Shit was fucking hard, and it was better for it. While I concede that Mario Karts now are still technically racing games, they're not very good ones. They're more like stay-in-last-place-for-2-1/2-laps-then-get-some-ridiculously-overpowered-item-that-puts-you-straight-into-first games.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

or worse, be in 1st place then go to last place because of an item.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Crowbar wrote:While I concede that Mario Karts now are still technically racing games, they're not very good ones. They're more like stay-in-last-place-for-2-1/2-laps-then-get-some-ridiculously-overpowered-item-that-puts-you-straight-into-first games.
They're really more like party-racing games. They're designed to give players who aren't the best at the game an advantage. I'm sure in some racers it could be a good idea to stay right behind the player in 1st and use the air resistance to sweep out in front at the last second. In Mario Kart it doesn't require this much skill, relying on giving players in worse places better items to help them catch up. The player in first can't do this without forfeiting the top place. So it's a game of staying in second place for the right amount of time, but not every player can try to stay in second all the time (someone has to be in first for there to be someone in second). So the race comes down to the first and second places, unless they both end up shooting each other down enough to cause the rest of the pack to surpass them.

It's an interesting racer, but not a very good one in terms of skill.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

i discovered that speed is the most important essential in Mario Kart as you need to be 1st place as soon as possible because if you stay with the group of karts you will be destroyed in an instant.

So you need to be as far away as possible, so you need to be a master of poor cornering, just like Sonic in Sonic R...once you get used to it you win. But Meh Mario Kart is way out there.

Wombatwarlord777

Dasher wrote:[...]you need to be as far away as possible, so you need to be a master of poor cornering
Uhm... what? As admittedly easy as Mario Kart is, it's essential to learn how to corner (read: drift) to totally master the game, and that's none too hard to learn.

And perhaps I was being a bit too harsh with Sonic R. It really is a racing game that depends on knowing the routes and (quite cleaverly) using your supply of rings at just the right time. However, I still contend that it could use some extra traction. The spiral part of Radiant Emerald has always been an uncontrollable wallhugging-session.