Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

Post by big_smile »

The long rumoured Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection has been officially confirmed. Now named Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, the new game features over 40 classic 16 bit titles including Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3, Columns, Alien Storm, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, and the full Streets of Rage trilogy.

Developers Backbone Entertainment have included a plethora of bonus content, the most interesting of which is the HD mode that allows the decade-old titles to be displayed in 720p. Sega are claiming that this mode will bring "a new visual richness". Hopefully this will be more substantial than the "graphical enhancements" found in Sonic Mega Collection and Sega Vintage Collection.
Other extras include a collection of 8-bit Master System titles and arcade games from the 1980s.

The game will be released on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 in all territories in 2009.
Full details can be found in the Sega Europe Press Release

Shadow Hog

Re: Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

Post by Shadow Hog »

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Bah! Team Mecha must have posted whilst I was typing. As the name has changed, it probably makes sense to start a new thread.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I hope there's an option to choose between standard pixels and that ugly blurry rendering mode because I hate that shit.

I'll probably get it on PS3.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Interpolation huh? why are they using this?

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

I bet there's silly fan debate raging on about the filtering.

Additionally, I think that I could only see myself playing maybe a quarter of these games regularly.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think there will be a debate, because I don't think anyone will actually try to defend it. It's almost hilariously hideous:

http://kotaku.com/photogallery/megadriv ... b1280x1280

UGH!

It's a pretty fantastic collection of genesis titles though.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Not that I give a shit about poorly emulated, poorly filtered Genesis games packed in a disc or anything, but the American site still calls it "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection". Also, it lacks Alien Soldier = Ultimate FAILURE.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Eww.... does it look like that no matter what? Or is that what happens when you set it to HD mode? IF it's the latter I'll have to get as there are many SEGA games I have yet to play. If it's the first then I'm screwed.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I hope there's also a giant scanline mode.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I find it hilarious how they explicitly point out the OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

PS360 KILLER-APP!!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

It seems that just as in Sega Vintage Collection, the HD mode will be optional.
It's too bad that Sega didn't resurrect the HD mode that was planned for Sonic the Hedgehog High Speed (where the "camera view" was extended to a wide screen format allowing players to see more of the stage). That would have been a mode worth publicising.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Isn't that what he says in that quote? If the games are now playable in widescreen with no distortion, it will be awesome. And I hate compilations.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Isn't that what he says in that quote? If the games are now playable in widescreen with no distortion, it will be awesome. And I hate compilations.
The quote sounds to me like the game is just going to stretch to 16x9, thus ruining the aspect ratio. I highly doubt Sega would go back and retool all those games to display in widescreen correctly.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Segaholic2 wrote:
Green Gibbon! wrote:Isn't that what he says in that quote? If the games are now playable in widescreen with no distortion, it will be awesome. And I hate compilations.
The quote sounds to me like the game is just going to stretch to 16x9, thus ruining the aspect ratio. I highly doubt Sega would go back and retool all those games to display in widescreen correctly.
I dunno. Miracles happen.

But really, Sega's probably just going to slap two black bars on the top and the bottom of the screen.

Or worse, hideous borders riddled with Sega logos and Sonic the Hedgehog. Blah.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I'm a little disappointed at the lack of Treasure and lock-on games, here, personally.

...that's about all it's missing, though. Still prolly wouldn't buy it since all these games are on Gametap anyway.

Also totally irrelevant but

wtf is with that kid's face

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Shadow Hog wrote:I'm a little disappointed at the lack of Treasure and lock-on games, here, personally.
I don't know about Treasure games, but I saw Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles in the list. I assume you'll be able to lock-on technologize.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Segaholic2 wrote:The quote sounds to me like the game is just going to stretch to 16x9, thus ruining the aspect ratio.
You ever be watching TV at a friend's house or something, and their TV has a 4:3 picture stretched to a 16:9, and they don't even notice? It drives me insane. I want to change it to the right aspect and cram the remote up their ass so they can't change it back.

I think it goes without saying I'll be passing on this unless the aforementioned miracle occurs.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

You ever be watching TV at a friend's house or something, and their TV has a 4:3 picture stretched to a 16:9, and they don't even notice? It drives me insane. I want to change it to the right aspect and cram the remote up their ass so they can't change it back.
Man, no shit. Like, "Dude, you can change this setting by pressing two buttons on the remote." and they'll be all like "Duuuuh, I didn't even notice". And then you go back later and they're watching it the same goddamn way. If you're technologically literate enough to own an HDTV, you should fucking know how to tell when your picture is distorted.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
Man, no shit. Like, "Dude, you can change this setting by pressing two buttons on the remote." and they'll be all like "Duuuuh, I didn't even notice". And then you go back later and they're watching it the same goddamn way. If you're technologically literate enough to own an HDTV, you should fucking know how to tell when your picture is distorted.
I've also witnessed this. It's like they just had a bunch of money sitting around so they bought an HDTV not knowing it was anything more than a widescreen TV.

But maybe the black bars on the side bother them more than having the picture out of the correct ratio.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I was once out with my friends, when we went to rent a DVD. We had an argument over whether to get widescreen or fullscreen. I'm not kidding, the people who said fullscreen said, "Because you get more of the picture that way. I don't know why they just arbitrarily add black bars to block out the top and bottom of the picture."

It's just as well Hollywood Video went out of business because I don't think the four of us are welcome there anymore.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Assuming the games are distorted to 16:9, wouldn't temporarily switching your TV to 4:3 fix the problem? Not an elegant solution, I know, but still.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

With my TV, the aspect ratio can only be changed if it's standard definition. Once it's HD, it refuses to mess with it.

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

DackAttac wrote:With my TV, the aspect ratio can only be changed if it's standard definition. Once it's HD, it refuses to mess with it.
In theory, you could just use the standard AV cables that come with your system for the game.

That's an impractical solution and would undoubtedly cause more problems than it would solve, but it's a solution.