Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3/360 rumored

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Shadow Hog

Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3/360 rumored

Post by Shadow Hog »

Source: Sonic Stadium
What is ‘Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection’?
A hawk-eyed TSS reader has informed us about “Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection” (highlighted), which is listed in Gamestop’s latest release schedule. Priced at $29.99 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 and due for release on the 10th February 2009, it appears SEGA haven’t yet given up on providing all of Sonic’s classics to current consumers. It makes sense - with half the community bitching about how much better the Mega Drive games were (which I can’t say doesn’t hold merit) it seems wise to let new gamers experience the hedgehog’s glory days. For fans, it opens up a whole new world of speculation — will SEGA provide loads of meaty bonus content ala Sonic Jam this time? Will players actually be able to play Chaotix without locating a 32X? What the heck does that mean for those that purchased Sonic 1 and 2 from Xbox Live Arcade?

Before we all go jumping the gun though, it’s important to note that SEGA haven’t officially announced such a title. Having said that, retailer’s secret schedules are regularly a source for getting to know of new projects ahead of time. Jot this down in your Sonic filofaxes as a ‘rumour’ for now. Many thanks to our anonymous tipster who sent this in - top stuff.
So, um, why no Wii port? Why another collection game, for that matter? Will it have Chaotix? Will it have a PROPER port of Sonic CD for once (with or without Hataya's soundtrack - just fix the friggin' palette trickery like fades or Tidal Tempest's water, and rerecord the sound effects to not suck)? Will it include the various improvements from Sonic Jam? Do we really need to buy Sonic 1 again?

My guess: no. No to every single question posed. (Except the first two, since "no" doesn't make much sense, but whatever.)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Re: Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3/360 rumored

Post by Crazy Penguin »

PREDICTION!

It'll have all of the Mega Drive and Game Gear games. You'll have to unlock the Sonic & Knuckles lock-on modes. There'll be a piss poor Sonic CD port without an option to change soundtracks, just the US version. The "Saturn" version of Sonic 3D will be included, except really it'll be the PC version with the half-arsed Special Stages and not the super-sweet ones everyone loved from the Saturn version. Chaotix and Sega Sonic the Hedgehog arcade will be absent again, as will Sonic Eraser which nobody remembers or cares about anyway. Also, Flicky, but it'll be the Mega Drive version again instead of the arcade original. Ecco the Dolphin and the Mega Drive version of Virtua Fighter 2 as unlockables. Unlockable content will be gained by selecting each game 60 times and leaving them on the title screen/demo for 25 hours each.

Not to be pessimistic or anything.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Crazy Penguin wrote:PREDICTION!
The "Saturn" version of Sonic 3D will be included.
Even though the game is called Sonic Genesis collection?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Not to be pessimistic or anything.
Sonic 1 is a direct port of the GBA version.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

G.Silver wrote:Sonic 1 is a direct port of the GBA version.
Hahaha.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I have Chaotix on 32X and the JP version of Sonic CD, and all the other MD games either in physical form or the Saturn and GC collections, so really I'd have no use for this at all. I'd probably buy it anyway.;_;

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The only reason I would buy this is if it brings SEGASONIC the Arcade....possibly Chaotix too.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Segasonic would indeed make the thing worth buying, but they wouldn't call it Mega Drive Collection then, would they?
The only other thing that would convince me to get it would be online multiplayer for Mean Bean Machine and Chaotix.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Honestly, why have the not made a Sonic Mega Collection-style game available for download yet? That way they could at least say they were releasing the same package for the hundredth time, but in a new way. (Oh right, because it's more money to sell each game individually. :|)

As far as this goes: Yeah. Chaotix or bust. Saturn 3D Blast would be cool for the special stages, but… yeah. Genesis Collection. Same might be said about Chaotix, I suppose, but to play that at least there was a Genesis involved….

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

But why for PS3 or 360? it must have some kind of next gen feature if not it will be a joke. But then again Sonic Team is an expert at jokes, here's hoping a museum Sonic Jam style.

Syntheticgerbil

Post by Syntheticgerbil »

Seeing as how the last game they attempted to port, "Sonic Genesis," I really doubt Sonic Team will be adding any arcade, Saturn, Sega CD, or 32X ports/emulators to this collection. They just don't have those sort of skills... maybe if they let another developer take this one over as they have been doing....

But I also sort of like having reasons to keep around my Sega CD (not only for Snatcher), my 32x (not only for Blackthorne), and my Saturn (only non Sonic game I have is Earthworm Jim 2).

Also I never really got around to getting Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn until recently. Having played the Genesis version almost my whole life, I was pretty amazed on how much those 3D special stages added. They were well thought out and didn't feel tacked on at all in the way that the original special stages did. I never have experienced the PC versions though.

Spike

Post by Spike »

I see no point in this. You can already play Sonic Mega Collection Plus on the Xbox360 and PS3 with BC(except of on newer PS3 models of course.). Unless they're giving the games graphical overhauls or a ton of extras, I don't see the point.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

A graphical overhaul could go either way. I kinda hope Sega isn't willing to take the risk.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I get what this game is, just a downloadable garbage collection for the PS3/360 because the Wii already has them on the Wii store.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Wait...but why does it say 29.99? dagnammit! back to square one!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The title is interesting. Sonic's. Apostrophe S. Maybe it'll be a general Genesis/Mega Drive collection with the Sonic brand name for marketing or whatever.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Sorry for the off topicness but did Sonic Chronicles came out in Japan? why so many English exclusives lately?

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

for ps3 and 360? What? is gems +SMC plus?

Baba O'Riley

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Crazy Penguin wrote:The title is interesting. Sonic's. Apostrophe S. Maybe it'll be a general Genesis/Mega Drive collection with the Sonic brand name for marketing or whatever.
I get that Sonic is more or less SEGA's mascot, but realistically, he's sort of faded from the spotlight, and that tagging his name on the collection wouldn't really increase sales other than with diehard Sonic fans, and might actually dissuade some people from purchasing it, giving the already lukewarm reception that Sonic Next had and that Sonic Unleashed will inevitably have. SEGA would probably be better off just putting it under their own names.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »