Sonic and the Quest for Phallic Compensation

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Sonic and the Quest for Phallic Compensation

Post by FlashTHD »

Oompa Star wrote:Can't really say I'm suprised that Shadow will be playable. Wasn't he able to use swords in Shadow the Hedgehog?
Yes. And they all sucked, even the kickass secret one (the Samurai Blade), because 4-6 damaging hits with them against anything and they break.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

wow! Sonic with a sword running around generic medieval environments. Just what I always wanted!

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I feel like I blasted Secret Rings' environments for being generic when Sand Oasis and Evil Foundry were shown, but the latter half got pretty inventive.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, inventive might be an understatement for a level that took place on ruins on the top of giant, half-fossilized, flying manta rays.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

I'm getting a pretty positive vibe from the new information and screens. Secret Rings has a lot of redeeming values really, the customisation had a lot of depth to it but the sole issue with it(and the big problem with the entire game), was that it meant you started off the game crippled and barely controllable.

Now with this it sounds like they've tackled that issue... and they've also removed the on rails gameplay! That solves the 2 big complaints anyone really had with that game. So now we just have a genuinely fresh and interesting concept for the franchise that's being made by a team with previous Wii experience and who are focusing on incorperating a shitload of cool sounding new features, which don't actually sound utter garbage (unlike the premise of transforming into a werewolf).

Well I'm kinda more interested to see where this will go than Unleashed now. Obviously not overwhelmingly positive, not being on rails instantly makes it more likely to have the classic camera and control issues so we'll have to see if they tackle that this time. Also going to need to see some footage before I'm convinced swordplay will feel fun within a Sonic game and not just completely ridiculous.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

”During out demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressivly as steel cut through brick”
I remember an age when Sonic just ran down walls...

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Well the game sounds rather interesting, plus I can be Knuckles the double fisted seal clubber or Shadow the dark mage.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Y'know, it's weird. I kind of assumed the playable character list would just be Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow. And I'm alright with that. I know they'll probably unveil Cream and Amy and Silver and the rest of The Tie-Dye Jackoff Parade, but the idea that they would take, out of their massive cast, the two supporting characters that best fit in with the feel of the game would almost excuse the mammoth character listing.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The details link is down, anyone want to summarize the stuff Nintendo Power said about the game.
Y'know, it's weird. I kind of assumed the playable character list would just be Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow. And I'm alright with that. I know they'll probably unveil Cream and Amy and Silver and the rest of The Tie-Dye Jackoff Parade, but the idea that they would take, out of their massive cast, the two supporting characters that best fit in with the feel of the game would almost excuse the mammoth character listing.
I dunno about Shadow, unless he's the Black Knight in adorable black armor. Which would be hilarious.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Alternate alternate details link, as well as more screens.

People keep saying there'll be MotionPlus use, but I haven't seen any proof yet.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Don’t worry young nerds, because playing as those other characters is optional.
Yay! It sounds like they went back to extra-characters as add-ons rather than detractors.

This is shaping up to be fun in a goofy sort of way rather than taking itself seriously.
People keep saying there'll be MotionPlus use, but I haven't seen any proof yet.
Isn't Wii Motion Plus just something that removes the lag in waggle?

K2J

Post by K2J »

No. It's an add-on accelerometer that enables better projection of what the remote is doing when it's off screen. It does not improve the waggle for game prior to its design, unfortunately.

I hate living this far from California. I really want to read that article now.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

DackAttac wrote:Y'know, it's weird. I kind of assumed the playable character list would just be Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow. And I'm alright with that. I know they'll probably unveil Cream and Amy and Silver and the rest of The Tie-Dye Jackoff Parade, but the idea that they would take, out of their massive cast, the two supporting characters that best fit in with the feel of the game would almost excuse the mammoth character listing.
What? How is Knuckles wielding swords a good fit? The only character who is even close to fit well in a concept like this is Amy and that because she the only Sonic character out of all the chucklefucks who uses a blasted melee weapon as a trademark. Maybe they turn her into some crazy fighting princess or some wild barbarian girl.

...whatever, this whole concept is DUUUUUUMB! My hope is that they don't integrate swords in any future Sonic game ever again. Fat chance of this happening though.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

The soundtrack will be done by Jen Senoue and he will add a Celtic vibe to the familiar Sonic sound.
The familiar Sonic sound......is the sound that started the universe.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Didn't they say Silver liked Swords somewhere?

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

K2J wrote:Knuckles and Shadow are also playable.
DYNASTY WARRIORS PLZ.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Ngangbius wrote:So why not use franchises that features actual sword-wielding characters from their company like Wonderboy or the hero from the Oasis games to test this new gimmick?
Because it's much easier (and lazier) to plonk Sonic's face on the game rather than build up and/or maintain a strong set of franchises. What does Sega even do any more other than release sub-par Sonic games?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Ryu ga Gotoku series and spin-offs, Virtua Fighter, and occasionally a game like Valkryia Chronicles?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

They let Sega Racing Studio finish Sega Rally 3 for the arcades before cutting them loose.

Oh and obviously more and more licensed shlock. That reminds me, seems like all their recent trailers/games start with the same old Sega swoosh intro, with that kinda bored casual "Sega." voice. I wish they'd ditch that, it gives off EA vibes.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Or how about a different franchise they're screwing with like Golden Axe?

I'd go for that!

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

This game has:

-weapons used by the playable cast
-good and bad scores at the end of each level
-and a special attack bar that fills up as you kill enemies.

Sounds like their inspired by Shadow the Hedgehog to me...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ngangbius wrote:chucklefucks
I like this word. I am going to work to incorporate it into my daily vocabulary.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Full NP scan, now with zero RAR file-opening action!

Page 1 - Render Art
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
...we do know the identities of two playable comrades: Knuckles [...] and Shadow, who we can only assume wields a magical blade forged from overwrought angst.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I hope that Shadow is a Chivalrous mute who is the loyal body guard of a young princess, and that at her request he has taken his sword of over wrought angst and set off to stop the spread of the emo demons that have transformed Arthur.

And the game sure does look pretty, does it not?