Shorts - PSU/Sega Re-merger/Puyo Pop Fever

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Shorts - PSU/Sega Re-merger/Puyo Pop Fever

Post by big_smile »

Phantasy Star Racing
According to Gamecube Europe, Phantasy Star Universe will allow for teams of more than four people and feature new planets and races.

What re-merger?
It seems Sonic Team isn’t the only development house to be retaining its name after the recent restructuring, as Sega’s Japanese career sectionhas been updated with positions for Smilebit and Digital Rex.

Puyo Fever: May remove excitement if repeatedly caught
Last year’s "K festival (Kodansha super character festival)"* had an extensive area devoted to PSO III Card Battle, which revealed exciting new details about the game. This year Puyo Pop Fever was the only Sonic Team game at the Japanese show and so, naturally, there was nothing new or interesting to be seen.

Image Image
^ How many shows has Puyo Pop attended?

*Disclaimer: Name obtained through machine translation and so may be slightly inaccurate.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Um, also Phantasy Star Online Plus is coming to the U.S. on Aug. 29... Um, has someone already posted that? Everytime I mention it, people act as though they've never heard of it...

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

What the heck is PSO Plus?

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

It's basically the Cube version of Episodes 1 and 2, except with all of the online content available in the single player game (i.e. the previously online-only quests, download quests, GBA games...)... IGN said that it would have new items, but I don't recall the Japanese version of PSO Plus having any "new" items (outside of the previously online-only items being available offline) so I'm not sure what to make of that statement.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

How many times can they rerelease the same game. What is this, like the seventh?

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

And this is going to be released on GameCube? How redundant.

(I assume, since a system had not been mentioned)

Edit: Nevermind, got my answer. I suppose all of you are aware of another PSO rumoured to be in development for the Nintendo DS?

http://www.gcadvanced.com/article.php?artid=2720

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

It'd be more exciting if it was rumoured not to be.

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

Light Speed wrote:How many times can they rerelease the same game. What is this, like the seventh?
PSO, PSO v2, PSO Ep 1&2, PSO E 1&2 Plus. Four games over five years, all the same damn thing.

I hope PSU doesn't have that "locking-on" bullshit PSO and a lot of other MMORPGs have. It'd be a lot more fun if the combat was more like that of an action game. But I don't know if I'll even get the game, seeing as how they treat PSO on the GC and Xbox. People are paying 9 bucks a month and they can't fix any glitches or eliminate hacked items. Yes, I've had a shitload of fun with hacked items, but that doesn't mean they're not a pain in the ass.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

PSO, PSO v2, PSO Ep 1&2, PSO E 1&2 Plus. Four games over five years, all the same damn thing.
PSO = DC, PC
PSOv2 = DC
PSO Ep 1&2 = GC, XB, PC
PSO Ep 1&2 Plus = GC
PSO Blue Burst = PC

I count 8 versions.

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

You count like a girl.

tron 2.0

Post by tron 2.0 »

Popcorn wrote:
PSO = DC, PC
PSOv2 = DC
PSO Ep 1&2 = GC, XB, PC
PSO Ep 1&2 Plus = GC
PSO Blue Burst = PC

I count 8 versions.
+ PSOv3 C.A.R.D. Revolution = 9
Last edited by tron 2.0 on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

Just shut up... You are so fucking dumb, you can't even use the "quote" feature right...

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

He got the code right... I guess he checked the box that disables BBCode. Or whatever.

vidkid7

Post by vidkid7 »

Popcorn wrote:
PSO = DC, PC
PSOv2 = DC
PSO Ep 1&2 = GC, XB, PC
PSO Ep 1&2 Plus = GC
PSO Blue Burst = PC

I count 8 versions.
PSO Ep 1&2 is not available for the PC, "Blue Burst" is more or less Ep 1&2's PC version. Five years, seven versions. Eight if you count Episode III as mentioned above, but that's really more of a completely different game.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Hey, he's right. I missed that. Popcorn, you're fired.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Can I have his job? I can be cranky and English.

While I'm here, I think I missed the whole Blue Burst thing, possibly because I stopped caring about PSO in early 2000. What are the "new" features for this version? Something about offline quests, new items, and unhax0rable programming, I'll wager.

vidkid7

Post by vidkid7 »

Actually, isn't Blue Burst supposed to be the first online ONLY PSO game? Or maybe it just uses server side saving for online and offline modes? Hm.

I'd like his job too. I'm bitter and filled with eighteen years of video game trivia.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

j-man wrote: While I'm here, I think I missed the whole Blue Burst thing, possibly because I stopped caring about PSO in early 2000. What are the "new" features for this version? Something about offline quests, new items, and unhax0rable programming, I'll wager.
Blue Burst features a new NPC character and a slightly easier to use interface. Click Here for more information.

Double-S-
News Guy

Re: Shorts - PSU/Sega Re-merger/Puyo Pop Fever

Post by Double-S- »

big_smile wrote:What re-merger?
It seems Sonic Team isn’t the only development house to be retaining its name after the recent restructuring, as Sega’s Japanese career sectionhas been updated with positions for Smilebit and Digital Rex.
If you go here you'll see that there are 7 Sega R&D teams left. Sega Wow, AM2, Hitmaker, Amusement Vision, Smilebit, Sonic Team, and Digital Rex.

The funny thing is, even though Smilebit has retained its name, a lot of its members went to the new Amusement Vision, and so AV is given credit for JSRF, Gun Valkyrie, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Likewise as how now Sonic Team is credited for Space Channel 5, Rez, etc, and Sega Wow has all the OverWorks and Wow Entertainment games.

One interesting thing, and a good subtlety for Shenmue fans, is that AM2 has credit for all its old games... except two. Digital Rex, which hasn't even done anything (at least that we know about), has those two games under its figurative belt: Shenmue and Shenmue II. And as far as I can tell DR has little to no involvement with Shenmue Online, which is fine by me, since I plan on ignoring that. Which means that they had to have been doing SOMETHING for this past near-year of its existance... something which hopefully is Shenmue III involved.