Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Opa-Opa »

You mean like imitating Blink 182?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Segaholic2 wrote:
Esrever wrote:Well I, for one, am completely intrigued by weresonic and his bizarrely stretchy arms.

Maybe it will be like Ristar! (He said with delusional optimism.)
God of War chains.
Oh God I didn't see it and now I do. It's like they stuffed Kratos in a furry suit. I mean, exactly.

The life bars on all those little enemies kills me.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

You mean like imitating Blink 182?
Well, pop punk, but generally those two are the same things.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Think i'll just post what I told my buddy Jonny on MSN, seeing as i'm too wiped to do any more big posts today. Some things I explained a little less clear than i'd hoped, but that's live discussions.

It's in a txt file because loooong is how MSN rolls:
http://www.jonnys-place.com/Personaldoc ... rising.txt

Does Sega have any presence at E3 this year? I forget. And the band is Bowling For Soup, whatever that does for you.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

Their lead singer, anyway. Bowling for Soup is one of those bands that I should hate for being so juvenile, derivative and simple, but ever since they wrote that one song with Butch Walker, they haven't let their fratboy M.O. out in any more than small doses without some killer melodies to compensate and they're not afraid to collaborate with some very fine other acts (Fastball, Fountains of Wayne, Zac Maloy, the aforementioned Mr. Walker) to get them. I don't boast about liking them because I know I get no indie cred (probably a net loss, really), but I enjoy them too much to lie about it.

However, here he sounds like he's fronting Simple Plan, which is what I define as running a slick melody around safe diatonic chord progressions on some pretty and glossy production but without producing anything mildly interesting. No hook, even after the big build-up to the (non)chorus. Lyrics are awful, talking about how much the singer refuses to back down, and yet the song is ultimately neutered. (Say what you will about Zebrahead, they weren't afraid to sink their teeth in when it counted.)

Don't get me wrong. I do love pop-punk, (even though I also believe it's kind of an oxymoron of sorts). I think it's almost worse to hear a bad song in the genre you love than one in a genre you hate. Pavlov's rung the bell, the dog is salivating, but he's not getting a damn thing to eat.
Zeta wrote:
The only game I know of that was completely Senoue-free was Secret Rings, and that soundtrack was a series low point. Interchanging these singers just highlights how generic the sound they go for is. I hope the game music stays interesting.
I loved SR's soundtrack. Especially Night Palace.
Awful lyrics and vocal samples included? Because I heard a ton of musical ideas throughout that game that interested me, but there wasn't a vocal line on there that didn't piss me off and disinterest me in acquiring the soundtrack. The only other game in the series that generated that kind of musical apathy from me was Shadow... which was just bland. Rather than hook me and lose me, Shadow just never made a musical impression at all, aside from that one military base level which had an acoustic/clean lead guitar. I thought that was a ballsy decision and it worked, but that's one song on a two disc set. Fortunately, the in-game music is what I'm talking about here, and what I've heard from Unleashed in that department sounds a lot better than this tripe that I will unfortunately download when I have a slow day and attempt to stomach.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Didnt the director of sonic Rings say he was a huge god of war fan?

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

Dasher wrote:Didnt the director of sonic Rings say he was a huge god of war fan?
Yeah he did; and they practically remade it. Wish they made a Sonic game.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Guys this is really important. Gamespot has posted a live test run of the game. That is to say, footage of an actual person playing the game. I have to say from what I've seen (only the beginning) it looks very impressive. Sonic can even come to a complete stop from the looks of things. If you can get through the first five minutes of nerd talk, it's worth seeing how an actual human can play this game as opposed to trailer clips.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6 ... ks;title;9

Just follow the video link.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Man the werehog gameplay looks alright. I mean it is a shameless rip off of god of war. Right down to certain enemy types. They even have you opening certain doors by tapping a button and the animation is near identical to Kratos doing the same thing. But the areas look nice. No bottomless pits in sight if that means anything.

The player did die a few times on the day sonic level but I chalk that up to him trying to go too fast. It definitely seems like you can slow down and take things at your own pace.

hedgepig

Post by hedgepig »

The day sections really look decent but I just cannot stomach the werewolf bits. Even if it's well implemented it just doesn't suit Sonic and it's generic.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

The trailer and the demo levels from Gamespot have done enough to make me think this game might just about get me over the Disappointment (with a capital D) of Sonic Next. For a start it looks stunning. I had trouble believe the first screens we saw of the same were real but seeing it in motion is astounding. Secondly the Sonic gameplay looks ace. It’s Sonic Adventure style 3D bits with 2/5d Sonic Rush bits. There's twitch button preses that don’t result in death but a different path through a level and there’s a bit of speed to it. Sonic goes from standing to faster than he ever was in Sonic Next with no effort at all.

Were-Sonic looks odd. The trailer makes him look slow but the Gamespot vid mentions a run button which actually makes the character look playable. I like the look of the platforming bits but I wonder if the fighting will get repetitive. That’s my only niggle.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

This is the video you guys are talking about, right?

http://www.gamespot.com/video/945571/61 ... 2008_story

Boy it feels good to confirm that Sonic IS fully controllable and does not run forwards automatically... at least not all the time. (It looks to me like Sonic occasionally pops in and out of Secret-Rings-styled segments.) Also on display are some very Sonic Adventure-esque moments in the China level, including platforming segments with... aw yeah... bottomless pits! But seriously, it does look pretty good... although I worry about how instantaneously Sonic seems to accelerate.

I think the werehog actually looks pretty fun. The combat doesn't do much for me, but I'm really liking how heavy it is on traditional 3D platforming elements... with lots more climbing and exploration than I would have guessed.

All in all, it looks a lot better than I was expecting! But don't worry, there's still plenty of room to screw it up.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Maybe my lack of faith is blinding me a bit but I just think it looks average. It certainly doesn't look as outright bad as Sonic 06 did when the first gameplay videos were shown but it doesn't look particularly amazing either. The WereHog sections just look dull.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

The first level does seem like a mediocre platformer, but you must remember that that's a vast improvement. The combat looks like it could get tedious, but not as tedious as repeatedly using the homing attack to kill 1 enemy at a time *cough2k6*.

It's a clever idea in theory: include both speed and platforming to please both kinds of player, but divide them into different levels so they can pick and choose when it comes time to replay. It's just unfortunate that the producer felt the need to publish his God of War crossover fanfic along with it. Really, it's even more arbitrary than giving Shadow guns. At least there were some fans asking for that.
Joystiq wrote: - Some parts of stages in Sonic Unleashed are built for BOTH Day and Night gameplay. This came as a huge surprise to us, as we were originally under the impression that time didn’t actually flow in the game. Patrick goes on to explain how time will flow in these parts of the stages (as well as towns), but clarifies that players will easily be able to advance the time so that they are not stuck in one form or another. Some parts of stages will be restricted to one form or the other.
- There are Daytime and Nighttime stages in each environment (Get that folks? That means that along with the 9 environments, there will be multiple stages. That’ could add up to a whole lot of 5 minute levels!). There are also unlockable mini-stages in each environment.
- Sonic will face some bosses in the ordinary form, and some as Weresonic.
- The plan is to have a Playable Demo right around the release of Sonic Unleashed!
Wikipedia wrote:Sonic Unleashed begins at the end of an untold story which sees Sonic confronting his nemesis, Doctor Eggman, bounding around a fleet of spaceships, and transforming to Super Sonic - Sonic transformed using the power of the Chaos Emeralds - in order to stop him.[7] However, Eggman manages to trap him using a powerful new ray weapon[6] which corrupts the power of the emeralds.[7] He then uses the Emeralds' energy to unleash a powerful beast from the center of the planet[11], which has devastating consequences, shattering the planet into pieces; it is up to Sonic to solve the crisis by travelling the world, finding shrines that will fix the Emeralds, in order to return the world back to normal.[7]

In addition, Eggman's ray also causes an unexpected transformation to Sonic's state, [6] and Sonic's progress will be made even more difficult when the ray and the transformed Emeralds have the unforeseen side-effect of transforming him into a werehog[12] - a beast form with greater strength and abilities - at night.

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

My thoughts on this game are so complex that they can only be expressed using math:

Branching pathways + Werewolf x Clunkiness ^ (Mr. Fantastic Arms) + Blink-182 x Rap breakdown - Other characters + Eggman as Main Enemy = CRAZY. And such craziness has yielded an interest in the Sonic franchise that has been nonexistent since 2004.

But besides that, all I really have to say is that the two commentators that brought the Eggman/Robotnik debate kicking and screaming into 2008 should be shot without trial.

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I don't see anything wrong in this trailer, were-hog is just a boosted Knuckles gameplay in SA, it will be the real platformer while the speedy stages will be the running ones, megadrive sonics had both speed and platforms with the same character but looks like the actual ST can't do something like that lol

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

^I don't remember Knuckles having a health and shield meter or beating the crap of throngs of enemies in SA1.

Assuming that this game won't be buggy as hell, I have a feeling at the very most I might find some enjoyment during the Sonic parts even if it does utilize QTEs as a cheap function to get through multiple paths. Werehog's gameplay looks kind of dull and seems seriously out of place for a mainline Sonic title. However, if the combat had more depth it probably would have been satisfactory for an original IP.

Also Rocket, I don't think Eggman is really the main enemy in this game--well, anymore than he was in SA1, SA2, and Sonic2K6. It was mentioned that he unleashed some yet another godly beast into the world and you know what that means...

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

Ngangbius wrote:Also Rocket, I don't think Eggman is really the main enemy in this game--well, anymore than he was in SA1, SA2, and Sonic2K6. It was mentioned that he unleashed some yet another godly beast into the world and you know what that means...
It means my calculations HAVE BEEN RUINED!!!! D:<

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Hmm...my hopes for the game has been raised 50%, interesting.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Damn it I think I'm getting excited about a Sonic game again.

This sucks.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Fuck it all, I'm excited about this game. Fuck you Sega. You let me down again and I swear I'm going to not buy the next Sonic game. FOR REAL THIS TIME.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Eh, it's worth a rental so far, but not worth coughing up $50-$60--especially if I really do end up liking half of the game. XD

I would be excited if the game play was just Sonic the Hedgehog.

DackAttac

Post by DackAttac »

I missed the boldface and thought you were pining for 2K6's engine, momentarily bewildering me. That would have been up there with your "worst art" contest entry in terms of obscenity.

I still see it whenever I close my goddamned eyes.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Frieza2000 wrote:The combat looks like it could get tedious, but not as tedious as repeatedly using the homing attack to kill 1 enemy at a time *cough2k6*.
Bounce Attack.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Great, now I finally got around to watching that vidoe and it got my hopes up (for the day-time stages that is). THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN.