Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Adamis

Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Adamis »

Sega apparently registered that name:
Word Mark SONIC UNLEASHED
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: video game software, computer game programs
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77415083
Filing Date March 6, 2008
Current Filing Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Kabushiki Kaisha Sega DBA d/b/a Sega Corporation CORPORATION JAPAN 2-12, Haneda 1-chome, Ohta-ku, Tokyo, JAPAN
Attorney of Record David Ehrlich
Prior Registrations 2930476;3137214;3363330;AND OTHERS
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=d ... f5jr.3.119

cjmcray

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by cjmcray »

Hm interesting..

For some reason i'm getting Sonic X-y vibes from that title. Unleashed seems to suggest Sonic 'breaking out' from his normal world.

To me anyway.
Last edited by cjmcray on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I'm amazed that sonic unleashed has not already been used for a game. It just sounds like such an obvious choice to name a sonic game.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The title sounds like another Sonic game which prioritises speed over exploration, level design, sensible controls, good gameplay or fun.

No doubt the Wiimote or DS Stylus will play a key role in unleashing Sonic's speed like never before.

^_^

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I can't wait to see the new shitty friend we will be forced to play as--assuming this is a new Sonic game.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

My guess is a Tails clone called Cinnamon the Squirrel. His name is Cinnamon becuase his tail is curled up like a cinnamon roll.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Sounds like a lame Spyro or Crash bandicoot game.

RocketPunch

Post by RocketPunch »

I'm starting to think Sega has resorted to referencing fanfiction written between 1998 and 2003 for game titles.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Uh oh, Sonic...Unleashed?? sounds familiar...like an ugly rumor I heard in the past.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

This topic should probably be moved to the News section. Your second favorite website and mine has just tracked down a set of screens that are probably from the game in question. So as to not get anyone's hopes up in terms of quality, I'll post the worst looking screen of the bunch.

http://www.seganerds.com/2008/03/22/son ... #more-3918

It sure looks like a ps3/360 game, but didn't sega claim that they'd sworn sonic off next gen for a long time?
Last edited by Radrappy on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

The images' resolution is of 720p, I'm almost positively sure it's not a Wii game.
But it sure doesn't look like an Xbox 360/ PlayStation 3 one, maybe PC? Or maybe a really high speed next-gen game?

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

FWIW, Surfer Girl has talked about a new PS3 (and 360?) Sonic game in the past. I seem to recall someone asking something about a new Sonic PS3 game, and she responded with something like 'the goal is to make a Sonic game that doesn't suck.'

She has also (sarcastically) stated the the new (totally unknown to us, I assume) Sonic Wii game is the "epitome of inspiration."

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

They're just cartoony looking, it still looks beyond a Wii game.

Personally I think it looks great, at least in graphics/style, I can only hope the implied on-rails gameplay and that alien aren't going to ruin it. Sadly that's a high possibility.

Though it really looks like they've abandoned the bullshitery for this one, so far.

Also, about the surfer girl thing. How fucking obvious is it that SEGA are trying to make good games on next-gen consoles? That's not predicting anything. It annoyes me that such retards get a reputation of knowing anything.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

I know that's obvious. The main reason I mentioned it was to show that there has been some rumor-based "evidence" that Sega hasn't stopped developing Sonic games for PS360.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

This really looks like Secret Rings 2 to me. Even if the Wii isn't capable of these graphics (the Wii is always surprising people, though), what we're probably looking at is a multiplatform game that will be scaled down to fit the Wii, if these aren't just bullshots and FMV (I'm looking at YOU, crazy mouth Sonic!). Considering how much better Sonic does on Nintendo platforms (right?) it would be a real waste to do another PS3/360 exclusive.

Also, who the hell is Surfer Girl?

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Some bitch that apparently is right about everything. Also really wanted Edwards for president.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Also, what's with the SegaNerds link? They seem to be down, and I want to see more pictures. :(

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

They're posted on Sonic Stadium too, so go look there.

And the "Sonic sells better on Nintendo" theory isn't really a fact. I'm kind of sure that Sonic 06' nearly sold as much as Sonic Wildfire. Sonic Rivals has good numbers too; and look at these games, they're a lot worse. A good Sonic game would sell well on 360 and PS3.

Or maybe it's just me saying this because I can't be bothered to get a Wii when I already have a 360 - plus I enjoy being able to actually use my HDTV and surround sound. Though maybe it is being developed on all three, hence why it looks to be "middle ground".

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Shot 1: In complete agreement here, whatever that is, GTFO.

2-3: Seems somebody's idolizing Vectorman with those designs. (*cough* baaaad sign there)

4-9: Sonic's proportioning looks slightly improved from the 06 model. These first 9 shots don't look ingame to me though, it could just as easily be that US team's CGI work. What's with Eggman's "square" Egg Pawn grin?

8: Memes incoming.

11: So upon closer inspection in broad daylight...yeech. This is what we have to expect for cannon fodder these days?

10-15: Check the polygon count before you immedeately assume it's beyond the Wii's stretch in power. Sonic and buildings look simple enough that it could be doable. That said, this Sonic model kind of stinks. It's a bit too cartoony...something about the smirk, the gloves, the simplicity ect. is really off-putting. Not sure what filter they've applied, but I also find this "Wallace and Gromit plasticene" approach they've taken with the environment weird. It's a stark shift for sure.

I guess it's safe to assume this -could- be Secret Rings 2 (gag) with the way the camera's so carefully positioned and the shape of the terrain. We'll see...a speed gauge sounds practical anyway, if it's a speedometer like I think it is and not another version of Rush's tension gauge. Shuffling the ring counter down towards the bottom is suspicious; the Shadow game did that.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Today on the Green Hill Zone, its forum users nitpick every insignificant detail to death.

Meat

Post by Meat »

This is a surprise? :razz:

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Kogen wrote:They're posted on Sonic Stadium too, so go look there.

And the "Sonic sells better on Nintendo" theory isn't really a fact. I'm kind of sure that Sonic 06' nearly sold as much as Sonic Wildfire.
I don't really think this is true seeing that Secret Rings charted decently on the NPD and other PAL charts(shoot, it came back on the U.K. charts these past weeks due to M&S) whereas Sonic '06 haven't done nearly as well, and I think I remember reading that Sega stated that Sonic 06 wasn't a success they hoped for.

About these shots, they look nice(almost Blue Dragon-ish--crappy iblis/chaos-clone nothwithstanding), but that's about it. For all we know this could be like almost all of the 3D Sonics that have been released for the past 8 years and have several control issues, bugs, and other lousy gameplay gimmicks that makes them generally unfun to play.

In other words, it's a trap, Jack!

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Is it just me or does Eggman look like an ape in these screens?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I don't see anything worth complaining about.