Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Zeta

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Zeta »

Africa, Greece, some temple, China, North Pole, Jungle, and New York are the stage? That's a little odd. I can't fucking believe they're actually going with "Werehog" as the name of the alt form.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

One of the problems with Sonic is that he is a very defined character, unlike Mario and Link that could be considered all around. IF Sonic is not ruinng 80& of the time, people conplains, if Mario has 123 freaking party games that include the villains, nobody conplains... put Sonic in party game and people will say "Hey!, Sonic is not fast, this game sucks!".

Sega needs an all around guy...

Spike

Post by Spike »

Arcade wrote:One of the problems with Sonic is that he is a very defined character, unlike Mario and Link that could be considered all around. IF Sonic is not ruinng 80& of the time, people conplains, if Mario has 123 freaking party games that include the villains, nobody conplains... put Sonic in party game and people will say "Hey!, Sonic is not fast, this game sucks!".

Sega needs an all around guy...
To be honest, I think that is some ignorant thinking right there. In the older games, Sonic wasn't all about speed. There was also slow platforming elements. Hell, Sonic 1 isn't a very fast game, but it was very well praised.

And I wouldn't really consider Link all around, either. So far, Nintendo has kept him doing what he does best: swinging his sword. You don't see him swinging a Tennis racket or playing golf or having 8 party games that are basically the same as the one before.

I'm actually looking forward to the Hedgewolf(I think this is a more appropriate name) sections. It seems like a nice change of pace.

Spike

Post by Spike »

Okay, here's a newer gameplay vid of the first level. PS3 version this time.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/22006

And we have, yet, another sucky player. Or maybe perhaps there are control issues with the game and Sega needs to refine them? No... No, it's the player who is wrong...

+1 internetz to whoever gets the reference.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Arcade wrote:if Mario has 123 freaking party games that include the villains, nobody conplains...
Actually, it's general consensus that the Mario Party games kinda suck.
Spike wrote:+1 internetz to whoever gets the reference.
Oh boy!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

It's kind of sad that I immediately got the reference.

Skinner: If I were a truant boy out for a good time, I'd be right
here: the Springfield Natural History Museum. [chuckles]
You're mine, Simpson.
[Bart argues at a triple-R rated movie box office]
Bart: Look, if I was under seventeen, I'd be in school, right?
Ticket boy: Yeah, I guess you're right. Enjoy "Boobarama", sir.
[Skinner has left the museum, meanwhile]
Skinner: Why, there are no children here at the four-H club, either!
Am I so out of touch...? No, it's the children who are
wrong.

Spike

Post by Spike »

Crazy Penguin wrote:It's kind of sad that I immediately got the reference.

Skinner: If I were a truant boy out for a good time, I'd be right
here: the Springfield Natural History Museum. [chuckles]
You're mine, Simpson.
[Bart argues at a triple-R rated movie box office]
Bart: Look, if I was under seventeen, I'd be in school, right?
Ticket boy: Yeah, I guess you're right. Enjoy "Boobarama", sir.
[Skinner has left the museum, meanwhile]
Skinner: Why, there are no children here at the four-H club, either!
Am I so out of touch...? No, it's the children who are
wrong.
What's so sad about that? Simpsons freaking ruled. Not so much, now.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

That episode is from the show's prime, certainly, it's just bloody amazing how something close to a whole generation can immediately recognise any humorous quote from any given episode of The Simpsons in its heyday. Other shows have a handful of particularly memorable episodes or lines, but when The Simpsons was going strong each weekly episode gained instant classic status.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

We've all read Don't cry for me, I'm already dead, then, right?

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Spike wrote:Okay, here's a newer gameplay vid of the first level. PS3 version this time.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/22006
That's pretty bad. On 1:51 you can hear Sonic falling to his death from another person playing nearby.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

The people have no patience at all.

WW

Post by WW »

Well yeah, they keep spamming that damn boost. That's part of the problem.

The other is they just suck ass.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

I'd argue that lots of videos showing players crashing around, flying off cliffs and doing things poorly in general is more likely an indicator that the controls are not intuitive than it is of the players sucking. Unless you're willing to accept the notion that every person who has both a video camera, and the opportunity to play this game, is monumentally bad at games.

A good control scheme isn't only good with practice.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Hybrid wrote:Unless you're willing to accept the notion that every person who has both a video camera, and the opportunity to play this game, is monumentally bad at games.
The game is clearly in need of a lot of polish, which it won't get, but guy on the 1up video does some pretty stupid stuff! There are definitely problems, like the fork in the road during the latter half of the video that you can just smack into, the more awkward quick-reaction bits like sliding under walls and even not slamming into side rails at any given moment while running at full speed. But the dude just plain jumps over a row of springs into the ocean at one point, completely unprompted. If that's all controls, this thing is in more trouble than its release warrants.

Sonic's jump is also really weird- he seems to snap back to the ground as if tethered by a rubber band.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

Some of them are player errors, sure. But then, who hasn't jumped at an inopportune moment and gone flying to their deaths before in a Sonic game (the originals on the Genesis included)? Some things are just bad decisions on behalf of the player, but I'd imagine the player is at least trying not to flail wildly around the course, and if he can't, then the controls need work.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Hybrid wrote:Some of them are player errors, sure. But then, who hasn't jumped at an inopportune moment and gone flying to their deaths before in a Sonic game (the originals on the Genesis included)? Some things are just bad decisions on behalf of the player, but I'd imagine the player is at least trying not to flail wildly around the course, and if he can't, then the controls need work.
AKA I didn't watch the god damn thing and am desperately trying to bury this fact

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid »

What? I never said the players aren't making mistakes while they play, I said that some things being branded as mistakes -ie. crashing into every goddamn thing - are being made universally, which makes a strong case for the controls themselves needing work. I don't know why you think I didn't watch the trailer; Wouldn't actually watching it be a lot easier than "desperately trying to bury this fact"?

Basically what I'm saying is you should stop being a douchebag for no discernible reason.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

But this is The GHZ! We're douchebags about EVERYTHING for no discernible reason!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I heard this was a place for friends. :(

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I also heard poop jokes were enabled, but you don't see too many of those.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

And that is exactly the joke.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

New Wii trailer. A lot of people are getting excited about it, but, meh, it looks more like a sometimes-3D Sonic Rush. A good idea, and probably fun to play, but not worth getting extremely excited over. People say the voice is better, but again, I'm not seeing the difference.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14242720 ... oct15.html
or
http://rapidshare.com/files/154754783/s ... 1.flv.html (need FLV player or converter)

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

TGS Sonic World Adventure video, it shows the neat menu for the demo they had up, I'm liking it. PS3ver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26k8STS3nZk

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Dasher wrote:TGS Sonic World Adventure video, it shows the neat menu for the demo they had up, I'm liking it. PS3ver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26k8STS3nZk
Wow that player was surprisingly competent. Almost as if he'd played a video game before.