Sonic Unleashed?

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Sonic Unleashed?

Post by Kogen »

Crowbar wrote:How dare you take my oversimplified blanket statement at face value!

I don't actually think there's anything wrong with real instruments in videogame music. It's just that over the years I feel like it's led to less of an emphasis on the strong melodies that make the music from, for example, the classic Mega Man games so memorable.

I am underinformed and prejudiced, though.
Megaman music still sounds like Megaman music. Something like Call of Duty has movie music because it tries to be like a movie (infact, if you ever bothered to play any, you would notice they steal exact scenes from movies, skillfully avoiding theft each time!).

Also I figured out why the Sonic music sucks. A woman - one of those fishy squirrel brain things - is directing it. :s The other fags went to do the terrible Wii game about Knuckles flying over enemies so you do not have to fight them by wigging the remote like a [insert]. And as expected, some of it sounds pretty good.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wait, Knuckles is getting his own game on the Wii, when did this happen?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Zeta wrote:
Never heard about falling if you slow down though, that part of it's on autopilot isn't it?
I can assure you, that it isn't. When I try to dodge by breaking, I fall off the wall and die. Not trying to dodge leads me to get hit and loose all my rings. Attempting to jump over the many many incoming projectiles causes you to fall off the wall and die. It's pretty awful.
It's a break in the control scheme that does it. Welcome to the only wall-running portion in the game that is best played using only the analogue stick and not touching any buttons until you're right in the boss's face, then boost to hurt it. As long as you never jump, never break, and never run to the bottom of the screen, it's impossible to fall off.

As for dodging projectiles, just hold the stick in the direction you want to move. Nothing else is necessary or will work.

Isn't this game great about expecting you to master controls that are completely counter-intuitive to what the levels have taught you so far?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Zeta wrote:Wait, Knuckles is getting his own game on the Wii, when did this happen?
He's talking about Black Knight.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Owen Axel wrote:It's a break in the control scheme that does it. Welcome to the only wall-running portion in the game that is best played using only the analogue stick and not touching any buttons until you're right in the boss's face, then boost to hurt it. As long as you never jump, never break, and never run to the bottom of the screen, it's impossible to fall off.

As for dodging projectiles, just hold the stick in the direction you want to move. Nothing else is necessary or will work.

Isn't this game great about expecting you to master controls that are completely counter-intuitive to what the levels have taught you so far?
The previous day boss flights play like shmups. They all have segments like this, just different camera angles. To suddenly to not be able to add 2 and 2 in this instance you have to be pretty slow.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Owen Axel wrote:Isn't this game great about expecting you to master controls that are completely counter-intuitive to what the levels have taught you so far?
This reminds me of a small section in one of those Dark-Gaia Sonic segments. In order not to fall to your doom, you have to switch between rails at some point. Problem is, there's no point previously in the game where you're required or even (to the best of my knowledge) able to switch between rails on the Wii version. And suddenly on the final boss, you're expected to do just that.

It's nothing that really detracts from the overall game itself, but kinda bugs me nonetheless.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Got past the Egg Lancer, but after 40 minutes of trying to get past the bobsled section alone in Eggmanland, I just want to kill the entire production team of this game in the most gruesome ways imaginable, probably starting with their eyes, and then moving into stabbing them in the rectums with a machete and bashing their brains in with an X-Box system one by one while I set their children on fire in front of them so they hear their dying screams as they burn to death and have their body parts fed to rabid dogs.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Having fun, then?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Zeta wrote:Got past the Egg Lancer, but after 40 minutes of trying to get past the bobsled section alone in Eggmanland, I just want to kill the entire production team of this game in the most gruesome ways imaginable, probably starting with their eyes, and then moving into stabbing them in the rectums with a machete and bashing their brains in with an X-Box system one by one while I set their children on fire in front of them so they hear their dying screams as they burn to death and have their body parts fed to rabid dogs.
What can I say except I told ya :p

I'm thinking, to prevent turning into a serial killer, you should probably not let it get the chance to load Dark Gaia at game's end.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Zeta wrote:Got past the Egg Lancer, but after 40 minutes of trying to get past the bobsled section alone in Eggmanland, I just want to kill the entire production team of this game in the most gruesome ways imaginable, probably starting with their eyes, and then moving into stabbing them in the rectums with a machete and bashing their brains in with an X-Box system one by one while I set their children on fire in front of them so they hear their dying screams as they burn to death and have their body parts fed to rabid dogs.
OR, you could just make them play the stage. It could be an interesting experiment.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Only if you threaten to instantly lash out with the steel pipe of dishonor whenever they utter a word of bullshit or doubletalk explaining themselves about the level as they go...then hey, maybe...

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

FlashTHD wrote:The previous day boss flights play like shmups. They all have segments like this, just different camera angles. To suddenly to not be able to add 2 and 2 in this instance you have to be pretty slow.
Now, now. It's true that the second day boss goes through several bullet hell phases (never noticed anything remotely similar with the first boss), but the third boss confuses the thing by having it be a wall running section, where in every other part of the game you'd die instantly if you stopped running and nothing but the rear buttons are effective for moving.

Personally I feel more stupid because of how long it took me to realise that trying to jump and home attack the boss while on the wall is suicide.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Owen Axel wrote:Now, now. It's true that the second day boss goes through several bullet hell phases (never noticed anything remotely similar with the first boss), but the third boss confuses the thing by having it be a wall running section, where in every other part of the game you'd die instantly if you stopped running and nothing but the rear buttons are effective for moving.
They park the camera way up overhead of you. The boss is on the right, shooting lasers at you straight across the screen. You're running automatically. How does this not register upstairs as "oh like a horizontal shooter"?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

I guess i'll give you the jumping problem though, cause while I had figured there was no need or good sense in jumping during that sequence, I did it by accident once (after the camera moved back to tilted view) and found out the punishment.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

So uh, Hashimoto might have left ST for S-E.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/06/yosh ... sonic-team

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

FlashTHD wrote:
Owen Axel wrote:Now, now. It's true that the second day boss goes through several bullet hell phases (never noticed anything remotely similar with the first boss), but the third boss confuses the thing by having it be a wall running section, where in every other part of the game you'd die instantly if you stopped running and nothing but the rear buttons are effective for moving.
They park the camera way up overhead of you. The boss is on the right, shooting lasers at you straight across the screen. You're running automatically. How does this not register upstairs as "oh like a horizontal shooter"?
Audience expectations. When you train a player to treat a specific obstacle in a specific manner, then gosh darn that's what they'll do when near the very end of the game they're suddenly supposed to treat it differently.

It was a really fun boss once I got a clue, though.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Ngangbius wrote:So uh, Hashimoto might have left ST for S-E.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/06/yosh ... sonic-team
Who wouldn't?

THEbigLANDMAN

Post by THEbigLANDMAN »

I played Unleashed last month so I will add my two cents in the discussion.

SU is provably the 3D Sonic game I enjoyed the most, ever, and I include both Adventure. The game has some difficult stages, but definitely not buggy (like 2k6, or even Adventure games...), I enjoy speed in sonic games, I loved the megadrive ones, and hated the master system ones, because of speed, I also enjoy beat em up games, and the werehog compared to any "extra character" in the previous games is definitely more enjoyable when you level him up a little, in my opinion. I also like the fact that you play only as Sonic, I hate most extra characters in the series, and I though I was going to hate that chihuahua thing but I thought he was actually funny, compared to the annoying Omochao. I played the game once and replayed some of the most spectacular stages, but if I had the time I would provably go for all the extra content (I tried with the coins but failed in the third Apotos act lol). I played the 360 version, I've seen on youtube the wii/ps2 versions are very different...

Sorry if I don't explain myself more in depth, I would enjoy larger debates if my English was any better.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

THEbigLANDMAN wrote:but definitely not buggy
laughingelfman.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3sZCn-Mm2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikiFTjSEhh4

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

P.P.A. wrote:
THEbigLANDMAN wrote:but definitely not buggy
laughingelfman.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3sZCn-Mm2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikiFTjSEhh4
But definitely not autistic to spend that much time to find glitches no one else ever saw because they played the game normally.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Man, you really love mentioning autism, huh. Little obsessive, to be honest. Maybe a little... autistic? OH SHI--

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

t's too much work to design a Sonic game on a next gen platform? "

No is not, but what they really did was a PC game that looked like playstacion 2 game and then was ported to a shitload of consoles, thats why the play2 version got such high scores, the game fells and plays like a game from five years ago, an that it makes decent for what the play2 players are used to.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Can we ban Arcade already?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Shadow Hog wrote:Can we ban Arcade already?
Not Dasher first? saywut?

Blount

Post by Blount »

I say we keep him. I've grown fond of his incoherent gibberish. It makes me smile.